- - - - -

BMW Electric i3 (or not)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:00 PM

We have been seriously considering getting a BMW i3 electric car. On Saturday we stopped in at the dealership to ask a few questions. It didn't go well. The first bit of text is the email I sent to BMW Canada, followed by their reply. Both have been slightly redacted.

--------------------------

Subject: BMW Automobiles

Comment Subject: All other Inquiries
Question/Comment:
We live in Victoria and are seriously considering purchasing an I3 within the next year.

Yesterday we went to the dealership and were told "we don't sell them here" and "we don't have any information". The salesman suggested a dealership in Richmond saying that this dealership currently didn't have the infrastructure.

In other words, there was no help at all.

"No cars here", "No infrastructure to support them", "Not going to talk about them here". Is this service? Is there any intention to sell these cars?

How about "We have the Richmond dealer come here every few weeks to offer a test drive. Let me take your name and number."

We were very disappointed.

---------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting BMW Canada.  We appreciate your inquiry.

It was with great disappointment to read of your experience with your local BMW Retailer.  Each certified BMW Retailer is independently owned and operated, and some have made the step toward registering as certified BMW i Retailers.  To schedule a BMW i3 test drive, please contact one of our Certified BMW i retailers: BMW Laval, Town + Country BMW, BMW Toronto, Budds' BMW Oakville, The BMW Store, Brian Jessel BMW, and Auto West BMW.  We hope you find this helpful.

If you have any further comments, please reply to this email or contact the Customer Interaction Centre at 1-800-567-2691.  Again, thank you for contacting BMW Canada.

---------------------------------------------

#2 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:24 PM

Sounds like the local dealership is miffed they didn't get the privilege of selling the i3. Kind of like when Ensign was surprised to learn Willie Dodge and not them got the rights to sell the new Fiat a few  years back.

Still, I bet the marketing department would be shocked to learn a sure selling opportunity slipped through the fingers of the receptionist handling general inquiry emails.

#3 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:55 PM

I've also had bad experiences in Victoria with BMW. They're the worst I've Dealt with of the seven dealerships I had some form of relationship with.

I don't drive a Bimmer anymore but when I was I tried to schedule anything I needed for when I was in Vancouver to avoid them. In my random travels I've also noticed that a few places that use BMW commercially are buying from Jessel and Park Shore, both on the Mainland.

#4 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:08 PM

I don't think this is a case of a missed sale. I think the dealer doesn't want to sell electric vehicles.

This is discussed a lot in EV circles. Many potential EV buyers have found that it can be hard to buy the car they want. Salespeople seem to be unknowledgeable about EVs, and try to steer buyers into hybrids or high-MPG gas cars instead. Dealerships might not want to sell EVs because the margins are much smaller than on ICE cars.

http://www.nytimes.c...alers.html?_r=0

I would wait to buy an EV anyway. The Chevy Bolt and Tesla Model 3 will be the first in the next wave of EVs, with better range than an i3 for a similar or lower price.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:00 PM

Hmm, you'd think if they could set up some sort of a commission structure with Richmond's BMW dealership they'd at least make some money.

• 57WestHills likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:55 PM

Just add 4 letters and you'll have a heck of a lot more fun.  :)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:22 PM

I don't think this is a case of a missed sale. I think the dealer doesn't want to sell electric vehicles.

This is discussed a lot in EV circles. Many potential EV buyers have found that it can be hard to buy the car they want. Salespeople seem to be unknowledgeable about EVs, 

I have never met a car salesperson that was knowledgeable about any car they sold.   

#8 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:08 AM

This is why Tesla is doing so well.... Look out for the Model 3!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users