Marigold Lands, condo 1
Use: condo
Address: 7874 Lochside Drive
Municipality: Central Saanich
Region: Saanich Peninsula
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Marigold Lands development's first condominium residence is a five-storey building situated along the 7800... (view full profile)
Learn more about Marigold Lands, condo 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Central Saanich] Marigold Lands | Multi-phased residential community

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:08 PM

The 8 acre parcel where Marigold Nurseries currently sits (Mt Newton and Lochside) is one of the few non-ALR areas left in Central Saanich. It has been purchased by developers and slated for a mix of townhomes, condos, and houses, as well as some commercial. 

Here is the website: http://marigoldlands.com/

• Mike K. likes this

#2 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:13 AM

TC article about the redevelopment.

Central Saanich planning director Bruce Greig said no applications have been submitted but he expects feedback from the meeting will let indicate whether the proposal needs to be tweaked further.

The company has hired architect Franc D’Ambrosio, known for the master plans at Victoria’s Selkirk Waterfront and Mattick’s Farm in Saanich, to lead planning and site design as part of the rezoning and development permit process.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...k.8szGQnOc.dpuf

#3 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:15 AM

If D'ambrosio is working on it, it will likely be a very good project. I am hoping to see a mix of condos under 6 stories, townhouses, and a little playground for kids. There isn't a playground in that neighbourhood that I'm aware of. It would be cool to have a little coffee shop or grocery store up there too, but not sure if there will be enough residents to support it.

#4 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 19 March 2016 - 06:54 AM

A conceptual plan was presented to the neighbourhood this week. Here are the plans. 
Condos with 1 and 2 bedroom units. 3 bedroom townhouses and duplexes. Lots of nice design features. 1.png

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:40 AM

I see Marigold is going to re-open in Duncan.

http://marigoldnurseries.com/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

http://www.timescolo...anich-1.4242497

Public to get say on development plan at ex-nursery site in Central Saanich

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:04 AM

You can imagine how this public meeting is going to go...

#8 Jables

Jables
  • 130 posts
  • LocationHappy Valley

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:22 AM

You can imagine how this public meeting is going to go...

As a resident of Central Saanich, I would prefer to see this left as a decaying slab of concrete. The proposed development will destroy Saanichton's downtown core, clog up our traffic, and attract undesirables. Soon afterwards fire and brimstone will begin raining down from the skies, the rivers and seas will boil and usher in forty years of darkness.  Earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together...mass hysteria!!

Edited by Jables, 05 January 2017 - 10:26 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#9 Jables

Jables
  • 130 posts
  • LocationHappy Valley

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

In all honesty, though, the development looks great but desperately needs a playground added to it.  A lot of young families live in the Devon building next door, and the closest playgrounds are Tulista Park (Sidney) and Polo Park (Saanichton, across the highway and a 15 minute walk up the hill).

I lived in the area for 4 years and the only real services on that side of the highway are the Gas Station, Pub and McDonald's...you felt pretty isolated from everything else.  It would be nice to see some more amenities added there.

Edited by Jables, 05 January 2017 - 10:25 AM.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#10 victoriassecret

victoriassecret
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

I agree. Central Saanich is hardly the place for this kind of development. The empty lot is much more suitable it will destroy the ambiance of that area with the pub and the trailer park and McDonalds. 

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

...only real services on that side of the highway are the Gas Station, Pub and McDonald's...you felt pretty isolated from everything else.  It would be nice to see some more amenities added there.

That's all I need!

• Rob Randall likes this

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

That's all I need!

There's nothing quite like buying all of one's groceries at the Esso Tiger Express or Shell Select stores.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:52 PM

Hi-res-artist-rendering.jpg?f=default&$p

A public hearing was held on Tuesday night in Central Saanich adevelopment proposed for the former Marigold Nursery lands.

The plan is to build more than 200 housing units on the former nursery site, which closed in 2015. The developer has a combination of mixed housing over the eight acre property that will include townhouses, condos, and apartments. Ten of them will be below market pricing.

Those in attendance were mostly positive for the estimated $80 million project but Saanich/Gulf Islands M.L.A. Gary Holman said the development didn’t’ do enough to address affordable housing.

http://www.iheartrad...aring-1.2324407

#14 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

Why does every single development need to 'address affordable housing'?

Funny, Gary Holman's own website seems to have no reference to what party he represents. It's also all blue. Had to find another source to find out he's NDP...

• Nparker likes this

#15 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:45 PM

Affordable housing or not. I don't love it. Higher buildings and less footprints.. good to go.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#16 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:42 PM

^ no, I don't think so. Not in this location. Looks fine for where it's located. This isn't urban.

• nagel likes this

#17 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:13 AM

Because it makes the project more likely to get required rezoning.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#18 Jables

Jables
  • 130 posts
  • LocationHappy Valley

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

...because it's the #1 issue in our area? I'm not sure what you're trying to say here; what kind of development would you prefer?

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:42 AM

Supply will solve the affordable housing problem. So long as we keep restricting supply we'll keep increasing the cost of housing.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

I'd argue it really isn't the top issue here, but that's an opinion.
Mike hits the nail on the head though. The best way to address affordable housing is to remove barriers to adding supply. Forcing developers to cut into their bottom line with direct measures doesn't help in the long run.
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users