Photo

Modo Carshare

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 JennKa

JennKa
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:59 PM

Hello:  Sorry to create a new topic for this but my search skills within Vibrant Victoria resulted in nothing for car+share or Modo.

Does anyone belong to this Car Co-op?  I'll take a referral if it benefits either of us - I understand when it was Victoria Car Share there was a $50 bonus for each end of the referral.

Cheers,

J

#2 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:37 PM

Hi JennaKa,

I've been a happy member since 2013.  My wife and I don't have cars and the couple of times a month we need a car we just rent one of the two at Dockside Green - usually the all electric Kia Soul.  One of the closest threads to discussing this topic was this one:  http://vibrantvictor...ation/?p=182743

If you own or rent in a large condo building you most likely will be able to become a member without paying the membership fee through the building's developer or via your landlord.  You can use me as a referral if it helps.

Edited by Gary H, 07 April 2016 - 04:19 PM.

• JennKa likes this

#3 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:00 PM

Nice.
  • JennKa likes this

#4 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:29 PM

Since we have a dedicated MODO thread I thought I'd share that you can now, in Vancouver anyway, rent "luxury" vehicles, the BMW X1 and Lexus IS 200 F-Sport.  They're $8/hr vs. the normal $4, everything else is the same.

http://modo.coop/ourfleet/

http://www.vancouver...7714/story.html

11827715.jpg

• JennKa likes this

#5 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:21 PM

I'm a member too. Trying to remain a single car family and MODO helps with that. Super easy and reasonable rates.
  • JennKa likes this

#6 JennKa

JennKa
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:36 PM

Thanks, Gary! Do you have a member number that you can PM me? I will add it into my registration. And thank-you all for the replies! 😀

#7 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:41 PM

I'm a member. Had to get rid of my car because every time I wanted to drive it the battery was dead from inactivity. Have only needed to use Modo three times in the six months I've been a member, but it is handy, and nice to have the option.

#8 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:28 AM

MODO has finally been able to add couple of cars at the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal.  You'll now be able to take a trip to the mainland and pick-up/return your car at the ferry terminal.  You still need to figure out how to get to the Swartz Bay Terminal - you could take the bus, or rent a MODO car in Victoria and leave it at the terminal - it's $4/hr and a max of $32/day.

http://thecarco-op.c...D5E5F9A8728A5A6

Edited by Gary H, 08 April 2016 - 10:28 AM.

• JanionGuy and JennKa like this

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:18 AM

http://www.theprovin...9429/story.html

5 things: Car-sharing study reveals reduction in pollution, travel, vehicle purchases

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:38 PM

This is interesting....

The rest, it seems, are driving more. Across the board, in the five cities surveyed — Calgary and Vancouver as well as San Diego, Seattle and Washington, D.C. — many respondents admitted using public transportation less once they joined the car-sharing platform.

In Calgary, for instance, 30 per cent of those surveyed said they used the bus less once they joined Car2Go compared with just 4 per cent who said they used it more. Urban rail use was similarly diminished. And Car2Go’s Smarts seem to have an especially dramatic effect on taxi use, 65 per cent of Vancouverites saying they used cabs less versus just 3 per cent using them more (the numbers for Calgary were an equally dramatic 65 per cent and 2 per cent).

In other words, Car2Go was often used instead of public transportation or a cab ride rather than replacing a personally-owned car. Indeed, the study reveals that 47 per cent of Vancouver members drove more once they joined Car2Go compared with just 15 per cent of those who said they drove less. The numbers for Washington, D.C., are even worse, with four times as many members reporting they drove more than those who drove less. It turns out, then, that except for those who actually sold their cars — and, of course, those people who didn’t buy an imaginary new car — Car2Go members seemed to be driving more and using public transportation less than they did before joining the ride-sharing service.

http://driving.ca/au...re-questionable

One other factor clouds the future of car sharing. Like the supposed surge in popularity of electric cars that has yet to materialize, there does not yet seem to be a car-sharing revolution in the making. According to AutoRentalNews.com, after more than 10 years of growth, there were but 5,048 shared vehicles on Canadians roads and only 19,115 in the United States as of 2014. That’s compared with the roughly 25 million cars and trucks currently on Canadian roads and the 255 million that prowl American highways.

That might be explained by an anecdotal finding in the Martin/Shaheen study, namely that the average car sold when joining Car2Go was 14.4 years old. While that may be good for the environment — the study says that cars averaging 23 to 25.4 miles per gallon were replaced by the Smart’s 36 mpg — 14-year-old beaters are typically the purview of the young (as well as anyone else with reduced means). And as Automotive News reports, “Millennials [may be] drawn to car-sharing services, but eventually, they buy.” The propensity for car-sharing so often attributed to the young may yet prove illusory. Indeed, as mentioned previously, only two per cent of Car2Go members actually give up their own car in favour of car-sharing.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:19 PM

In other words, Car2Go was often used instead of public transportation or a cab ride rather than replacing a personally-owned car.

Dumb conclusion. I used car share when I didn't own a car but needed one occasionally. If it didn't exist I would have bought a car earlier and driven a lot more. Very likely that many car share users are the same.

Also any environmental benefits to car sharing are tertiary at best. The point is convenient access to cars without owning them, not saving the planet

Edited by LeoVictoria, 17 February 2017 - 06:19 PM.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

Dumb conclusion. I used car share when I didn't own a car but needed one occasionally. If it didn't exist I would have bought a car earlier and driven a lot more. Very likely that many car share users are the same.

That's your situation, but this article relied on extensive surveys of hundreds of users.

#13 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:24 PM

People like the convenience of a car?  Say it ain't so!

• VicHockeyFan, jonny and Redd42 like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#14 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:33 PM

That's your situation, but this article relied on extensive surveys of hundreds of users.

No I'm saying they came to the wrong conclusion based on the data.   

Take people that previously didn't have a car and now they do via a car share.  Is it surprising that they are driving more?  Of course not, that's the point of the car share is to drive.  

What did people do before car share when public transit no longer met all their needs?   They bought a car and then they started driving more and using transit less.

So the correct comparison is to see whether people using car share drive less than people in similar situations who have bought a car.   Another good analysis would have been to see if car shares cause people to delay car purchases or not.    

Edited by LeoVictoria, 17 February 2017 - 06:39 PM.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

What did people do before car share when public transit no longer met all their needs?   They bought a car and then they started driving more and using transit less.

The survey showed only 2% of new users dumped a car and went into the service.  So I think you can infer that if people left the service, only 2% would by a car.

People LOVE cars.  I do not know a single person that is able to drive and can afford to own one, that does not have one. It's just the way it is.

#16 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:51 PM

— many respondents admitted using public transportation less once they joined the car-sharing platform.

Admitted? Like it is a crime to not use public transportation as much. Sheesh.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#17 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:51 PM

The survey showed only 2% of new users dumped a car and went into the service.  So I think you can infer that if people left the service, only 2% would by a car.

I'm not talking about people that have cars.  People that own cars don't tend to join car shares to start with.   And your inference isn't logical either.

#18 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:52 PM

Admitted? Like it is a crime to not use public transportation as much. Sheesh.

Never mind that the whole POINT of a car share is to drive.   Of course they drove more.  The article is idiotic.   

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:00 PM

People that own cars don't tend to join car shares to start with.  

I know, the survey shows that.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:01 PM

Never mind that the whole POINT of a car share is to drive.   Of course they drove more.  The article is idiotic.   

Why so hostile?  The article simply showed that car shares add single vehicle traffic, and reduce transit use.  Agree?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users