Market Square

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:27 PM

Wooden Courtyard Shelter Demolition...

Some shots of the removal of the massive wooden shelter over the Market Square courtyard.  What's next for this area?  I thought I'd start a thread to see.

26246937502_678e102e2c_h.jpg

26246930682_ef30e6a516_h.jpg

26246932272_db1d64dcf1_h.jpg

26313370606_e050777190_h.jpg

Here is a reference shot of how the shelter roof used to look:
26066811500_eeee608ded_h.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 05 July 2016 - 08:51 AM.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:34 PM

Market Square has needed a complete makeover for about 25 years. Perhaps this will be the catalyst.

• Matt R. likes this

#3 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:39 PM

Good riddance to that roof!  Will open up that dark space visually and let the light shine in.

• Nparker likes this

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:51 PM

Now all MS needs are some tenants that making venturing off Johnson or Pandora worthwhile.

#5 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:05 PM

why can't they just build a mixed-residential tower there, rising from the ashes of the courtyard, providing local businesses with some built-in clients?  

• Nparker likes this

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:09 PM

The transformation of the former office building adjacent to MS into residential should help.

• JanionGuy likes this

#7 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:16 PM

The transformation of the former office building adjacent to MS into residential should help.

Are you talking about right across from Mo:Le on Pandora?  Am i a dummy here, i have watched that building being reno'd and thought "looks like condos above" but  i did not know the whole building was residential.  Can you point me to a link with more info (i had thought it was perhaps just an expansion)

#8 RoadRunner

RoadRunner
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:19 PM

Are you talking about right across from Mo:Le on Pandora?  Am i a dummy here, i have watched that building being reno'd and thought "looks like condos above" but  i did not know the whole building was residential.  Can you point me to a link with more info (i had thought it was perhaps just an expansion)

I think this is the project at 595 Pandora.

http://victoria.citi...mmercial-space/

Edit to add another link...

http://vibrantvictor...r-construction/

Edited by RoadRunner, 10 April 2016 - 09:21 PM.

• JanionGuy likes this

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:40 PM

Thanks for the link RoadRunner. Fleep-beep!  :P

#10 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:12 AM

Under Construction!

Some exciting changes are taking place at Market Square!  We are currently in the process of removing the roof that covers the east end of the courtyard, as well as opening up and widening the walkway that connects Johnson Street to Pandora Avenue.

Estimated completion date is late spring/early summer.  All shops and services are open for business as usual during construction.  Thank you for your patience during Market Square’s transformation.

• Nparker likes this

#11 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for the photos Gary. I have had mixed feelings about removing the old archway, fearing Market Square would be missing an important element. But I walked by the other day and I have to say that the project will make Market Square much brighter and more open. I've always wished the best for Market Square. The redevelopment was way before its time. But it has never really caught on. There have been outdoor concerts. Rallies. Restaurants and take outs come and go. There has always been something lacking though. Maybe this will be what it needs. With all the development and restorations going on right around there, their time may be now.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:05 AM

At least one reason for Market Square's chronic underachievement is that it is simply far too closed off from the adjacent streets. Hopefully the current renovations will help to rectify this.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:08 AM

Once upon a time it was a bustling hub of activity. That all changed when Max Tomaszewski of Amadon Group sold it. Prior to Max the Jawl's ran it and it was good times then as well.
  • weirdie and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:29 AM

Once upon a time it was a bustling hub of activity. That all changed when Max Tomaszewski of Amadon Group sold it...

Is there an approximate date for this sale? I can barely remember a time when MS was "bustling" on a regular basis.

#15 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:57 AM

When Island Fantasy was there it was busy... Nerds buying fudge, burritos and comics!
  • Mike K., Nparker, jklymak and 3 others like this

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:21 PM

Is there an approximate date for this sale? I can barely remember a time when MS was "bustling" on a regular basis.

Late 1990's. Prior to Market Square was a huge draw with many successful businesses, many concerts and festivals and many day time events, especially on weekends.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:25 PM

When Island Fantasy was there it was busy... Nerds buying fudge, burritos and comics!

Was that the name of the hologram store? I have fond memories of that's place!

#18 RoadRunner

RoadRunner
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:31 PM

Sportsland - I think it was right next to Island Fantasy.

#19 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:41 PM

The condom shop was pretty cool too. I guess they went under when everyone switched to pull and pray.
  • Nparker, Dietrich, sebberry and 1 other like this

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:39 PM

The condom shop was pretty cool too. I guess they went under when everyone switched to pull and pray.

It's the reusable condom industry that followed the bag and straw folks.  Now nobody needs more than one.  It's completely wiped out the single-use condom industry. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users