• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:22 AM

OK, might as well start this up now.

Clearly, Lisa Helps will be a one-term Mayor.  There is no way can she win re-election.  But who will show up to run?  Dean Fortin to make a return?  Stew Young to the rescue?  Will any other councillors step up?  Ben Isitt can't win, he'd be ill-advised to run for Mayor.

• zoomer likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:42 AM

Maybe Shellie Gudgeon will re-emerge. At least her brand of civic crazy is manageable. 

Might one of the saner voices on Council, like Chris Coleman or Geoff Young take a run at the top seat?

Will Pam Madoff finally be declared an historical property?

Will Jeremy Loveday admit he is "Smthers" to Ben Isitt's "Burns"? (and I don't mean that in any sort of romantic sense)

What is certain is the business community has to put forward a more viable candidate than Ida Chong; a pretty much despised, failed BC Liberal hack, known more for her lunch bill than her policies.

The worst part of all: 2.5 years before we can oust these clowns.

• tedward likes this

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:44 AM

Might one of the saner voices on Council, like Chris Coleman or Geoff Young take a run at the top seat?

I don't think Young will.  Coleman could win.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:48 AM

What is certain is the business community has to put forward a more viable candidate than Ida Chong; a pretty much despised, failed BC Liberal hack, known more for her lunch bill than her policies.

I never understood that from Day #1.

Maybe Bruce Carter will run.

• Nparker likes this

#5 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:49 AM

I don't see how you can predict politics with certainty with 2.5 years to go. That's a lot of time to spin tent city into a win or at least a tie, JSB will be paid for and all the *****ing boomers will have accepted bike lanes.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:55 AM

Bruce Carter? I don't think so.

Why would Isitt be advised to not seek the mayoral seat? He's tried twice before and now he has more votes than any other candidate.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:55 AM

I don't see how you can predict politics with certainty with 2.5 years to go. That's a lot of time to spin tent city into a win or at least a tie, JSB will be paid for and all the *****ing boomers will have accepted bike lanes.

·         Tent city into a win or at least a tie - highly doubtful; best-case scenario: it might be gone a year from now

·         JSB will be paid for - LOL!!!!

·         all the *****ing boomers will have accepted bike lanes - only if the millennials agree to pay for them out of their pockets

#8 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:56 AM

Plus with about 55% rental rate i think you should all get use to the loony lefty slant.

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:56 AM

...Why would Isitt be advised to not seek the mayoral seat? He's tried twice before and now he has more votes than any other candidate.

I might have to reconsider my stance on gun ownership if this nightmarish scenario were to come true.

#10 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:17 PM

I wouldn't write off Helps so quickly. She had and still has a lot of support within her activist community and the left wing.

I don't doubt that Bruce with pursue a career in politics but it will be Provincial or Federal in my opinion. No money at the municipal level.

The business community isn't one group. It is fractured with different people and groups having different agendas. Each election they each try and find a patsy to act as their proxy.

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:20 PM

...The business community isn't one group. It is fractured with different people and groups having different agendas. Each election they each try and find a patsy to act as their proxy.

They might want to think about a better, more coordinated effort come 2018 if they ever hope to see REAL improvement in Victoria.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:39 PM

They might want to think about a better, more coordinated effort come 2018 if they ever hope to see REAL improvement in Victoria.

+1.

• Nparker likes this

#13 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:30 PM

VicHockeyFan, on 24 Apr 2016 - 10:22 AM, said:

Clearly, Lisa Helps will be a one-term Mayor.  There is no way can she win re-election.  

I didn't think Isitt  wouldn't get elected the first time, don't be too sure that the electorate of Victoria can't be misguided more than once.

• theboss likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#14 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:57 PM

Clearly, Lisa Helps will be a one-term Mayor.  There is no way can she win re-election.  But who will show up to run?

I don't know if you're serious or just trying to stir up a conversation but either way you're way off. The election is a long way away and it will be very hard to topple Helps as long as she stays the course. Her support runs very deep, unlike David Turner, who I think was the last one-term mayor.

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:17 PM

... it will be very hard to topple Helps as long as she stays the course. Her support runs very deep...

In 2014, she only narrowly defeated (by less than one-half percent) "fall guy Fortin" who was deemed 100% responsible for the JSB fiasco. Not even taking into account the many other Helps missteps, the bridge costs alone have ballooned during her tenure. Should she be allowed to shrug her shoulders and blame it all on her predecessor? I agree with VHF, if Helps doesn't make a strong effort to legitimately broaden her support beyond that of the Fernwood chicken collective (and don't forget she likely pissed a number of them off by voting for the St. Andrew's school proposal), I believe a moderate candidate could defeat her in 2018. I know I will do whatever it takes to ensure she doesn't have a second term.

Edited by Nparker, 24 April 2016 - 10:19 PM.

#16 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:44 AM

Anyone but Fortin got us Helps (who I don't think is as terrible as some of you do). I hope "anyone but Helps" turns out better.

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:10 AM

...I hope "anyone but Helps" turns out better.

It almost has to turn out better.

#18 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:48 PM

I don't think Young will.  Coleman could win.

I would vote for Ross Crockford.

#19 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:02 PM

Can I run as a man who believes he's trapped inside the Internet as an octopus named Todd?

Edited by todd, 25 April 2016 - 11:03 PM.

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:18 AM

Can I run as a man who believes he's trapped inside the Internet as an octopus named Todd?

Only if you promise to end homelessness, everywhere in the Universe for ever.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users