Toronto Raptors

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 03:06 PM

Going to the conference final for the first time ever!

Boy, a lot went right for them in today's game #7, solid win.

Cleveland will be tough.

• Daveyboy and 57WestHills like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:12 PM

Judging by the recent posts, not a popular topic.

However this team is dominating the NBA (so far), and is 12- 1.

https://www.sportsne...t-gets-tougher/

#3 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:05 AM

Kawhi >>>> DeMar

Danny Green has been very good as well.

#4 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:14 PM

Raptors headed to conference finals.

Came down to the last seconds of the game, exciting finish.

"On the final thrilling play, Leonard took an inbound from Gasol and shot from just in front of the Raptors bench. He connected. The arena exploded."

https://www.msn.com/...Hb?ocid=DELLDHP

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,321 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:58 AM

i bet toronto is going crazy especially after the leafs failed again.

#6 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:53 PM

Judging by the recent posts, not a popular topic.

However this team is dominating the NBA (so far), and is 12- 1.

https://www.sportsne...t-gets-tougher/

I think mainly its because with the Leafs long gone from the NHL playoffs yet again, no matter how hard the Tronna-centric media in this country tries to sell/tell it as otherwise, we are first and foremost a hockey nation, period. The end. Basketball was, is and always will be at best the distant poor country bumpkin cousin in terms of fan engagement and popularity in this country. 

Second this is - after all - Toronto, which I along with most other Canadians dislike with every fibre of my being particularly from an attitude "we are the centre of the universe" perspective, as well as sporting standpoint. So no matter how hard the Toronto Sports Network, aka "TSN" tries to sell the Raptors as "Canada's Team" (yeah sure....b******t), the more it falls on deaf ears outside the GTA.

Lastly I did try, I mean I really tried, for all of ten minutes or so, to watch Game 4 but what I recall most was being subjected to the infantile antics of Drake <yawn>, bouncing around the sidelines like a first-timer on acid.

As far as I understood it this was a sports event starring professional athletes - and not some platform for a TO-based egomaniac to strut his stuff and behaving like a testosterone-fueled 12 year old in the process. It was little more than a "Dig ME!" performance which was distracting and aggravating as hell; all Drake's antics did was to remind me once again why "rap" forms the basis for the word "C-R-A-P"...... 

• lanforod likes this

#7 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:01 AM

Basketball was, is and always will be at best the distant poor country bumpkin cousin in terms of fan engagement and popularity in this country. 

https://www.thescore...ba/news/1772292

5.8 million Canadians watched game 7 versus Philadelphia in the second round.  I bet just as many watched game 5 last night. These are higher numbers than most nhl playoff games featuring Canadian teams.  Basketball is growing tremendously in Canada and globally.  I wouldn't be surprised if it overtook hockey's popularity in my lifetime, particularly as millennials start having kids of their own and as the older generations die off.  (fyi, the same thing will probably happen with rap music.)

Further, there's now a feedback loop created by all the top tier Canadian talent that is heading to the NBA and the continued success of the Raptors.  More people become invested in the game, leading to more future Canadian talent.  It's like the Carter Effect, but it's happening year after year. 

• jonny and Wayne like this

#8 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:17 AM

https://www.thescore...ba/news/1772292

5.8 million Canadians watched game 7 versus Philadelphia in the second round.  I bet just as many watched game 5 last night. These are higher numbers than most nhl playoff games featuring Canadian teams.  Basketball is growing tremendously in Canada and globally.  I wouldn't be surprised if it overtook hockey's popularity in my lifetime, particularly as millennials start having kids of their own and as the older generations die off.  (fyi, the same thing will probably happen with rap music.)

Further, there's now a feedback loop created by all the top tier Canadian talent that is heading to the NBA and the continued success of the Raptors.  More people become invested in the game, leading to more future Canadian talent.  It's like the Carter Effect, but it's happening year after year.

No, it says 5.8 million Canadians "tuned in at some point". Compare that to the first round of NHL playoffs in 2017 where 22.2 million Canadians tuned in, or 2/3rds of the Canadian population. Hockey isn't in any danger of losing its total and complete dominance in this country any time soon. Basketball isn't even second or third. See attached.

Attached Images

• SN-HABITS-OVERALL.png

• AllseeingEye and lanforod like this

#9 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:19 AM

As for millennials, hockey, baseball, football and soccer are all more popular

Attached Images

• SN-HABITS-GENERATION.png

Edited by RFS, 24 May 2019 - 09:19 AM.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:55 AM

Does Drake just show up whenever he wants and the team rolls its eyes, or does he have an actual purpose?

I've seen more photos of that dude courtside than of the actual games or players. 

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:26 AM

Does Drake just show up whenever he wants and the team rolls its eyes, or does he have an actual purpose?

I've seen more photos of that dude courtside than of the actual games or players. 

Drake is the Raptors official brand ambassador. He's effectively an employee of the team paid to promote the team and the Raptors brand. 

He's also a huge sports fan. 

Edited by jonny, 24 May 2019 - 10:26 AM.

#12 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:13 PM

In discussion with many sports fans today at work, many will not watch the Raptors because of Drake.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:25 PM

Drake is the Raptors official brand ambassador. He's effectively an employee of the team paid to promote the team and the Raptors brand.

He's also a huge sports fan.

So he’s a mascot?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,321 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:08 PM

he’s the biggest all-in nba team fan in the whole league. spike lee or jack nicholson at a lakers game hardly impresses the coveted demographic.

he has his own private club at the arena:

https://www.scotiaba...eating/sherclub

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 May 2019 - 05:10 PM.

#15 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:09 PM

So he’s a mascot?

At the very least he's a complete clusterf*** - and he's quite rightly getting just destroyed and shredded in the Comments section of this CBC story, and interestingly by many folks from the Big Smoke who are frankly tired and just plain embarrassed by this man-child's antics: 

https://www.cbc.ca/s...ssion-1.5148760

#16 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,321 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:14 PM

the “drama” is made up. all the best selling rappers have “beefs” that help them stay relevant and popular. just like katy perry or taylor swift or the lhardsshisns.

play along.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 May 2019 - 05:15 PM.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#17 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:40 PM

I love Drake’s presence with the Raps.

#18 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,321 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:49 PM

it’s not drake demanding the tv time. the networks keep showing him.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:50 PM

Rappers and beef.

That’s a decent Chef Boyardee flavour, I must say.

Know it all.

#20 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:26 PM

Great Beaverton article about Drake and the Raptors a couple of days ago.

https://www.thebeave...ad-coach-drake/

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users