• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,162 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:05 AM

I've never heard of this trail before! More: http://www.vispine.ca

It spans the entire length of the Island (over 700m of trails) from tip to tip.

The Vancouver Island “Spine” Trail is a proposed trail from Victoria in the south to Cape Scott at the northern tip of the Island. The route is an inland path that passes near many communities, yet retains its wilderness character. It follows historic routes and uses some existing trails.

Approximately 700km long, the “Spine” is an adventure opportunity that will provide a recreational route for residents and tourists through the beautiful back country of Vancouver Island. Although it is primarily a hiking trail, some sections of the Spine are suitable for other non-motorized use, e.g. mountain bikes, horses, and skis. The route traces mountain ridges, passes through forests and alongside lakes, and is similar to other successful long-distance routes in North America.

The “Spine” Trail will support local economies through increased tourism, cultural tourism opportunities, trail building, and maintenance. Local First Nations, hiking clubs and other outdoor clubs will be encouraged to monitor the trail. First Nations and businesses will have an exciting new opportunity to provide services to travelers in their region.

The project is being developed by the Vancouver Island Spine Trail Association (VISTA), a part of “Hike BC”, the BC wing of the National Hiking Trail (NHT). Over the past 30 years the NHT has incorporated such significant trails as the East Coast Trail in Newfoundland, the Bruce Trail in Ontario, the Alexander MacKenzie route, and the Nuxalk/Carrier “Grease Trail” from Bella Coola to Quesnel.

Vancouver-Island-Spine-Trail.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:34 AM

Ya, I think the vision started with a different name.  In fact, no "branding expert" likely came up with this name.  I get it, but "spine" likely does not translate well into German etc. as well as familiarly as "trail" does.  EDIT:  maybe neither do lol.

The Sun article last week (reprinted in the TC today) complains about "disputes" with private land-owners.  But, I mean, it's PRIVATE land.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 VISpineTrail

VISpineTrail
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:27 PM

Hey VicHockeyFan,

Many groups on the island request access to private timber land or make longer-term agreements with the owners like mountain bikers in Cumberland, hikers in Port Alberni and snowmobilers in Courtenay. We're just trying to do the same but are having troubles with it, hence the articles. 

As for German, I don't know what it sounds like to them but we've already had multiple German travellers hike sections of the trail and are excited to come back when it's done. 

~Ross

Communications Director, VISTA

• Matt R. and nagel like this

#4 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,298 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:27 AM

I've never heard of this trail before! More: http://www.vispine.ca

It spans the entire length of the Island (over 700m of trails) from tip to tip.

The Vancouver Island “Spine” Trail is a proposed trail from Victoria in the south to Cape Scott at the northern tip of the Island. The route is an inland path that passes near many communities, yet retains its wilderness character. It follows historic routes and uses some existing trails.

Approximately 700km long, the “Spine” is an adventure opportunity that will provide a recreational route for residents and tourists through the beautiful back country of Vancouver Island. Although it is primarily a hiking trail, some sections of the Spine are suitable for other non-motorized use, e.g. mountain bikes, horses, and skis. The route traces mountain ridges, passes through forests and alongside lakes, and is similar to other successful long-distance routes in North America.

The “Spine” Trail will support local economies through increased tourism, cultural tourism opportunities, trail building, and maintenance. Local First Nations, hiking clubs and other outdoor clubs will be encouraged to monitor the trail. First Nations and businesses will have an exciting new opportunity to provide services to travelers in their region.

The project is being developed by the Vancouver Island Spine Trail Association (VISTA), a part of “Hike BC”, the BC wing of the National Hiking Trail (NHT). Over the past 30 years the NHT has incorporated such significant trails as the East Coast Trail in Newfoundland, the Bruce Trail in Ontario, the Alexander MacKenzie route, and the Nuxalk/Carrier “Grease Trail” from Bella Coola to Quesnel.

link:  https://vi-trail.ca/

This might be the year when the Vancouver Island Trail, formally known as the Vancouver Island Spine Trail, will finally be open to take hikers from Victoria to Cape Scott.

The world-class trail is 770 kilometres long, stretching from the summit of Anderson Hill in Oak Bay, on the southeast corner of the Island, to Cape Scott, on the northwest tip.

https://www.timescol...tion-1.24046138

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 January 2020 - 05:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users