• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:46 AM

This Sunday.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:29 AM

Hopefully he'll beat Berdych.

( Sorry to all our Scottish members)

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:59 AM

Andy in straight sets.  It's Milos vs. Andy on Sunday.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:12 AM

Wimbledon 2016: Andy Murray beats Tomas Berdych - plays Milos Raonic in final

http://www.bbc.com/s...tennis/36747919

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:27 AM

First Canadian man to reach the final of a tennis Grand Slam.

Not really a Tennis fan, but this is big for Canadian sports.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:29 PM

First Canadian man to reach the final of a tennis Grand Slam.

Not really a Tennis fan, but this is big for Canadian sports.

Ya, for sure.

And for UK tennis fans, the opponent could not have been better.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:02 AM

Serena won today, that was pretty good.

You know, I was thinking, for all those people that have cut off their cable, how do they watch the match tomorrow at 6am?

Aside from McDonald's and Burger King, is there any place even open at 6am to watch the game?  

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:47 AM

Against the ropes a bit here.  

This set should make or break it.

#9 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:15 AM

Murray  had too much shot variety for Milos to cope. If Milos wants to win a Major he'll need more than a booming serve.

#10 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:26 AM

Serena is a man against girls.

Milos' future is bright if he can stay healthy.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:28 AM

Murray  had too much shot variety for Milos to cope. If Milos wants to win a Major he'll need more than a booming serve.

His forehand is fine, but ya, he goes a long way out of his way to avoid the backhand.  I think that needs work.

#12 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:17 PM

His forehand is fine, but ya, he goes a long way out of his way to avoid the backhand.  I think that needs work.

Those errors cost him. How many times did he hit it into the net?

#13 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:31 PM

- moved to the 2016 Olympics thread -

Edited by Gary H, 17 July 2016 - 10:39 PM.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:18 AM

Raonic about to start vs. Federer.

#15 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

Not a good showing by Raonic. Went down in three straight sets. Unfortunate, because Murray and Djokovic also went down. He would have had a pretty clear path to a potential title.

Federer is on fire though. This is his tournament to lose.

• jonny likes this

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:22 AM

Not a good showing by Raonic. Went down in three straight sets. Unfortunate, because Murray and Djokovic also went down. He would have had a pretty clear path to a potential title.

Federer is on fire though. This is his tournament to lose.

Yes, there was not much there, there today for Milos.

#17 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

First Canadian man to reach the final of a tennis Grand Slam.Not really a Tennis fan, but this is big for Canadian sports.

Nope. Greg Rusedski played the final in the 1997 US Open.

#18 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:06 AM

Raonic about to start vs. Federer.

Bounced in 3 sets.

#19 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:15 AM

Nope. Greg Rusedski played the final in the 1997 US Open.

But by then Rusedski was no longer playing under the Canadian flag...he was representing Great Britain. When Raonic went to the final, almost every story gave the little comment about Rusedski, but noted that Raonic was the first Canadian playing under the Canadian flag to reach a major final.

#20 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:35 AM

But by then Rusedski was no longer playing under the Canadian flag...he was representing Great Britain. When Raonic went to the final, almost every story gave the little comment about Rusedski, but noted that Raonic was the first Canadian playing under the Canadian flag to reach a major final.

First, pro tennis players don't represent their country in Grand Slams. Their country is simply where they are from. Raonic, for eg, lives in Monaco along with many others. It's all about taxes.
I wento elementary and high school with Rusedski's father, Tommy, in Montreal where Greg was born and raised.
He left Canada as a young adult (about 18) to leverage his mother's UK birth (she came to Canada as a baby) to live and work in Britain. Why?
Tennis Canada did not give him much support. There was also stiffer competition over there. His game was not going to develop here.
At that time in Canada pro players were very low-profile with no opportunity to make money while living here.
Going to England offered him a much higher profile and far greater
opportunity for endorsement income etc.
He's a Canadian by birth, by culture and only a Brit by a thread.

Edited by johnk, 12 July 2017 - 11:36 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users