ON HOLD
Aquara in Victoria West
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: Kimta Road at Tyee Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Aquara in Victoria West is a five-storey seniors rental apartment and condominium complex with 35 licensed car... (view full profile)
Learn more about Aquara in Victoria West on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Aquara in Victoria West | Seniors residence | 5-storeys | Approved

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:14 AM

Lot 4 is For Sale...

Just saw this on the revamped Roundhouse Marketplace web site.  The next phase of Bayview Place, Lot 4, is for sale.  This is the seniors and residential development we've known about for some time.  However, I don't recall seeing any details on this before so I'm posting a few slides from the pdf file.  http://focusequities...t_V5_July16.pdf

Lot 4 - Offering Overview.png

Lot 4 - Site Map.png

Lot 4 - Elevations.png

#2 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:30 AM

Is there a covenant on these parcels? What's to stop somebody buying them and then asking for a rezoning to something different?

#3 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:59 AM

I recall there is a covenant in place that prevents the buildings from blocking the Bayview view.

At the street fair when I was speaking to the Roundhouse/Focus guy he mentioned that the seniors center was almost set to go. I don't remember his wording but I took it as they were ready to start building. Given the date on the offering, maybe he meant that the approvals were all in place.

(The tennis court near Esquimalt Road keeps showing up. As far as I know Promontory owns that parcel and I haven't seen any plans to add the court)

#4 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:28 PM

Surveyors also spent considerable time there over the last few weeks.

#5 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:04 PM

So if the tennis court is on private property, would it be for the public (public amenity) or for the Development residents only?

(The tennis court near Esquimalt Road keeps showing up. As far as I know Promontory owns that parcel and I haven't seen any plans to add the court)

#6 Prom2

Prom2
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:14 PM

'Development residents' would mean it's locked... public could bring more than just 'tennis' being played in it. Not sure I like the latter.

#7 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:32 AM

Yes, because all of the public tennis courts in the city are overrun by the filthy evil public  :whyme:

You should know by now those people stick to green, provincially owned properties in the core.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:34 AM

Quick recap of what's going on. Unfortunately I was not able to connect with a Focus Equities representative prior to publishing the piece.

Bayview-Place-Lot-4-seniors-residence-residential.jpg

Seniors residence and a low-rise condo slated for Vic West's Bayview Place development

http://victoria.citi...ce-development/

The next phase of Vic West’s 20-acre Bayview Place community will consist of a seniors residence and a low-rise residential building, according to marketing materials released by land owner Focus Equities.

The company is looking to secure partners that will take its approved plans and carry the vision through to completion, an option already used at the multi-phased development’s last two phases (one of which has been completed and the second currently underway). [Full article]

• Nparker and Mr Cook Street like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:17 AM

http://www.timescolo...hees-1.22634382

"The next piece in the Bayview Place puzzle will soon be coming out of the ground with a deal to build a seniors residence on the 20-acre Songhees site.

Bayview has reached a deal with Vancouver-based Element Lifestyle Retirement for nearly two acres of land below the Bayview One residential tower that will be used to establish a 153,000-square-foot seniors facility.

“This is a critical element for this community,” said Ken Mariash, founder of Focus Equities, which is the master developer of the Bayview site. “And they were our first choice for it.”

Element envisions a five-storey, $75-million complex where it intends to establish an “intergenerational, growing-and-aging-in-place community.”

#10 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:21 AM

Attached Images

• bayview.jpg

#11 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:59 AM

For reference, here's Element's current mid-rise project in Vancouver's Cambie Village.

OPAL_StreetViewCOMPRESSED-1024x3421.jpg

#12 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:07 AM

And this is from last summer's Lot 4 sales brochure.

Lot 4 - Elevations.png

#13 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:56 AM

would this work? what if the main entrance was up above using bayview's driveway, and another exit on the lower level, leading to a E&N stop in the middle of the circle?

Attached Images

• kimta.jpg

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:13 AM

would this work?

It's an interesting idea, but would it still work at the same height as the current plan? Alas, curved buildings are never going to be especially prolific in our region.

• Kach likes this

#15 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:09 AM

There is some clearing action going on

Attached Images

• IMG_20171004_103833.jpg

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#16 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:01 PM

The major part of this evening's Bayview Place get together was discussion of the new Element Lifestyle Retirement project.  It seems like a great "age in place" concept.  Here is a slide with some updated info of the project.

37505487971_5dd9e88162_k.jpg

#17 Prom2

Prom2
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:36 AM

Quote:  Gary H :   The major part of this evening's Bayview Place get together was discussion of the new Element Lifestyle Retirement project. 

Hi Gary, I was unable to attend last evening... and it's interesting to hear that the focus was on LOT 4 Element Lifestyle Retirement.  The work done to this point on LOT4 in the last few days has been been accessed via a newly constructed road access via the sales office entrance.  

Do you know if anyone asked as to whether the upcoming work/building on this LOT 4 will be accessed entirely from this new road access?  I'm hoping that there is a possibility that access can come off of TYEE or KIMTA ?  ( I realize the tracks are in the way, but not sure how that would impede access for construction purposes?)   

#18 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:32 AM

A couple of guesses...

They said they were working toward going to council for approvals in December, with construction of the senior's center starting in the summer. From the way the excavator is building a ramp and flattening the space I'm suspecting they're making a temporary parking lot. Parking in the area is tight and it will be useful as they ramp up the sales center for the new post-Encore building.

The corner of Tyee/Kimta is the most likely place for an entrance to the senior's facility. (On Tyee, before the railway tracks, about where the current eletrical transformer sits) They have to blast the hillside away to put the buildings in since there is a covenant that prevents them from interfering with Bayviews view. They also don't want to have traffic crossing the railway since that would involve expensive crossing arms.

• Prom2 likes this

#19 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:15 AM

I spoke to Chris from Bayview before I left and asked about access to the new development once it's completed.  All service access, including for ambulances, will be via Tyee Rd. and Kimta Rd.  I imagine the goal will be to have most construction access from these roads as well.

Another point, there is an easement in front of Bayview One that will become the new pedestrian access path to Tyee Rd. - replacing the existing gravel path through Lot 4.  This new path will be paved and include stairs up the steep slope on the Tyee Rd. side.

If Ken's goal of having the rail terminal built at the far west corner of the Roundhouse property is implemented then that essentially becomes the rail terminus.  I could then envision the City removing the rail tracks along Kimta Rd. altogether.

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:24 AM

...I could then envision the City removing the rail tracks along Kimta Rd. altogether.

They might as well. After the JSB fiasco there will never be a rail link to downtown, despite the assurances that a rail right of way would be maintained. What's one more broken promise?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users