UNDER CONSTRUCTION
953 Balmoral Road
Use: rental
Address: 953-959 Balmoral Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
953 Balmoral Road is a supportive housing project along the 900-block of Balmoral Road in the City of Victoria... (view full profile)
Learn more about 953 Balmoral Road on Citified.ca
Photo

[North Park] 953 Balmoral | Rentals | 4-storeys | U/C

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:43 AM

Northparker, if you want to pm me, I can send you the whole package*.

screenshot-www.google.ca 2016-08-03 10-39-56.jpg screenshot-www.google.ca 2016-08-03 10-38-57.jpg screenshot-mail.google.com 2016-08-03 10-37-40.jpg screenshot-mail.google.com 2016-08-03 10-37-20.jpg

At least someone at NPNA says 6 floors is too tall.  Huh?  Look at the neighbours, it's perfect for 6 floors.  The shadow is over the linen plant, and that funny apartment that has no units facing south (it has a drive under parking lot).

The building to the east is a fairly decent quality rooming house.

* I have no renderings, just input from the initial neighbourhood consultation.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:05 AM

No surprise that the initial response from the NPNA is negative. They are overwhelmed by NIMBYs.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:10 AM

Balmoral is SUPER wide from Quadra to Cook.  Certainly much wider that is needed, will ever be needed.  Here is an opportunity to claim some of that street in a out-of-the-box way.  A deal could be made here with the developer to have some extra frontage for maybe some angle parking.  I know some people hate the idea of angle parking on a street like this. 

screenshot-www.google.ca 2016-08-03 11-14-54.jpg

But the street is so wide, they already specify angle parking on Sundays. Both sides have signs allowing it.  In fact the signage is a little unclear, it's hard to know if the Sunday angle parking is mandatory.

ANGLE PARKING SUNDAYS ONLY

screenshot-www.google.ca 2016-08-03 11-28-23.jpg

"Angle parking if you want to, but only on Sundays"?  Or "Angle parking, this is all you are allowed to do on Sundays"?

What if I'm parallel parked Saturday night, as required, but I do not go to my car from then until Monday early morning?   Do I have to come out at midnight Saturday night, and re-align my car, then re-align it again at midnight on Sunday night?

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:28 PM

Any more details available, VHF? Developer?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:36 PM

Any more details available, VHF? Developer?

The developer is Raj Sahota.

Possibly: http://methodbuilt.c...oria-bc-canada/

Edited by Nparker, 03 August 2016 - 01:38 PM.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:37 PM

Ok great. Are unit size figures available?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:59 PM

Pretty slick design in my opinion. Would be a nice addition to the neighbourhood.

cover1.jpg

• Coastal Breeze likes this

#8 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:09 PM

Settled in one of Victoria’s most established downtown neighbourhoods, Balmoral is our second project in the vibrant North Park neighbourhood. This seventeen unit affordable housing project is designed to meet the needs of the City of Victoria today and into the future. Designed and developed in response to the Official Community Plan, this project implements significant transportation demand management strategies to make urban living a reality.

Only 17 units over 6 stories is less than 3 per floor. You think you'd get at least 4 units per, wouldn't you? Looks nice at first glance aside from the giant surface parking lot.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:10 PM

Mr Cook Street, can you confirm where the image was sourced?

Know it all.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:10 PM

Only 17 units over 6 stories is less than 3 per floor. You think you'd get at least 4 units per, wouldn't you? Looks nice at first glance aside from the giant surface parking lot.

That's the neighbouring property.

• thundergun likes this

Know it all.

#11 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:12 PM

From this site: http://methodbuilt.c...jects/balmoral/

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:20 PM

Pretty slick design in my opinion. Would be a nice addition to the neighbourhood.

cover1.jpg

Oh my.  I'd say give it a go.

But some of those features seem odd.  Why the crazy overhang at the very top floor?

#13 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:44 PM

Mr Cook Street, can you confirm where the image was sourced?

You beat me to it Thundergun! 

I would be very happy if this kind of development started popping up in all of the non-downtown areas of Victoria. Interesting and small, but much more dense than what exists. 

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:44 PM

It's a great design, I love it!

We're likely to see some revisions to this plan, perhaps even setbacks for the upper floors.

What we know so far:

Six-storey rental apartment proposed for North Park

http://victoria.citi...for-north-park/

• Nparker and Mr Cook Street like this

Know it all.

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:48 PM

...We're likely to see some revisions to this plan, perhaps even setbacks for the upper floors...

The NPNA will never allow a design like this to get built in my hood. It will get scaled back, set-back and re-imagined to the point that if it gets built it will be unrecognizable. 

#16 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:32 PM

The last thing you'd want in a neighbourhood that has a ton of variety is more variety. More variety would detract from the variety.

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:42 PM

It's really a shame the older house on the adjacent lot was not acquired and combined into one parcel as I think it would make for a more interesting development.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

I rarely walk down the 900 block of Balmoral and it's kind of shocking how much surface parking dominates this area.

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

#18 Coastal Breeze

Coastal Breeze
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

I also thought that 17 units were a smallish amount for the size of the building.  The giant surface parking belongs to the adjacent lot, it probably makes a fair bit money renting out parking stalls, which doesn't have all the hassle of trying to develop in a city of NIMBYs.    

• Mike K. likes this

#19 bugeyed

bugeyed
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:04 PM

Some of the upper floors will be 3 bedrooms which is probably why only 17 units.  

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:32 AM

screenshot-mail.google.com 2016-08-16 07-28-02.png

No surprise here.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users