UNDER CONSTRUCTION
71-75 Montreal Street
Use: condo
Address: 71-75 Montreal Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: in planning
71-75 Montreal Street is a proposal for a two-storey condominium development in the City of Victoria's James B... (view full profile)
Learn more about 71-75 Montreal Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] 71-75 Montreal Street | condos | 2-storeys; 12-units | Approved

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:44 AM

71-75-Montreal-Street.jpg

19-unit condo development proposed for James Bay

http://victoria.citi...-for-james-bay/

Victoria-based Urban Core Ventures is seeking approvals for a 19-unit condo development in Victoria’s James Bay neighbourhood.

The two-storey development, designed by de Hoog Kierulf Architects, is planned for 71-75 Montreal Street at Niagara Street immediately to the west of White Eagle Hall and across the street from MacDonald Park. [Full article]

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:57 AM

From Google:

screenshot-www.google.ca 2016-08-11 11-56-12.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:00 AM

Awesome. 19 units where previously there were two small houses. Townhouses are a easy win for James Bay. 

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:13 AM

When I first read the title of this thread I thought it said 19 storey condo proposed for James Bay and I then I thought, "yeah like that'll ever happen". 2 storeys will only be moderately controversial.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#5 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:27 AM

If they can build these units without elevators - aka an old style walk-up building- it would definitely translate into lower monthly fees for the owners.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:43 AM

Yup. The developer wants them priced below what would be the anticipated rate for an equivalent unit in James Bay.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:46 AM

If they can build these units without elevators - aka an old style walk-up building- it would definitely translate into lower monthly fees for the owners.

You know, there was a guy trying to build a 3-plex on I think Collinson.  It had an elevator just for the top-floor unit.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:19 AM

a3-0204-jamesbay-bw-jpg.jpg

A proposed 19-unit development in James Bay, if approved, could signal the closing of the door on already scarce single-family housing in the neighbourhood, Coun. Pam Madoff said.

Madoff said when she first saw the application she thought it was “a typo.”

“Because surely it couldn’t be 19 units that was being proposed on two duplex lots. It was just so shocking. And that’s what I’m hearing from the community as well,” Madoff said.

She said James Bay took more density than any neighbourhood in the city in the 1960s and 1970s, and was even close to setting provincial records when highrises were being developed.

Madoff said less than 10 per cent of housing in James Bay has even the appearance of single-family housing. “Ninety per cent is apartment and highrise and that kind of thing,” Madoff said.

“I want to be really vigilant with that tiny bit of remaining [single-family and duplex-zoned] stock and how it’s developed,” Madoff said.

“We have to be really thoughtful. This is an area, unlike the rest of James Bay with large lots in relation to the house that’s on them. And are we going to be sending a really strong message with this kind of development that we’re expecting 15 or 20 units any time you can acquire a couple of duplex lots?” Madoff said.

http://www.timescolo...h.raS7QOAm.dpuf

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:53 AM

And this folks is precisely why we have an affordable housing crisis. Not that she would be biased, but doesn't Pam live in a single family detached home in James Bay? This dinosaur needs to be removed from local government immediately.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:56 AM

Before I read the article, how did I know which councillor was alarmed?  Yup, we can make the units more "family-oriented" but the family will then need to be able to afford over $1M.

Today, there are only 4 homes for sale in James Bay with 3 or more bedrooms.

226 Dallas - $2M

255 Government St. - $1.745M

B-220 Govt. - $849,000

4-549 Toronto - $799,900

Look, "average" families like Royal Bay, Kettle Creek, or Westhills.

#11 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

I was unaware that 90% of the housing stock in JB was apartments and "that sort of thing". I keep seeing lots of houses when I'm in JB.
  • Nparker likes this

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:17 PM

I was unaware that 90% of the housing stock in JB was apartments and "that sort of thing"...

I believe Pam Madoff is factoring in some "alternative facts" in her calculations.

#13 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:54 PM

CHEK news story about this development:

http://www.cheknews....ncillor-272377/

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

I was unaware that 90% of the housing stock in JB was apartments and "that sort of thing". I keep seeing lots of houses when I'm in JB.

I suppose if you counted housing units, that would be the case.  Townhouses and apartments.

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:55 AM

I suppose if you counted housing units, that would be the case...

And because there are so many multi-family units no one wants to live in James Bay. I'm using Pam Madoff logic of course.

#16 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:51 PM

This redevelopment has been approved (5 for, 4 against).

12-unit strata, over 2 duplex-zoned lots

Half the units will have 3 bedrooms

12 stalls of underground parking

Urban Core Ventures will build the “townhouse-style units”

http://www.timescolo...-nod-1.23302309

Attached Images

• montreal st.jpg

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:56 PM

This redevelopment has been approved (5 for, 4 against).

This is all the evidence I need to be fairly certain that no matter how much public money is thrown at the "affordable housing" issue, our local council will make it all but impossible to achieve the necessary density that such an ambitious goal requires.

ps: anyone have the vote breakdown on the above approval?

• AndrewReeve likes this

#18 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:01 PM

ps: anyone have the vote breakdown on the above approval?

'Against' were Isitt, Loveday, Madoff, Thornton-Joe, but for different reasons (either lack of 'affordable' housing being included in the redevelopment, or the objection to the approval to what amounts to 6 units being approved for each duplex-zoned property).

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:05 PM

It was originally proposed at 19-units.

Know it all.

#20 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:31 AM

Have Isitt and Madoff voted for any development proposal in the past 3.5 years? 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users