Photo

Courthouse Lands Reconstruction

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:18 PM

Remember those beautiful rhododendrons, the lush green lawn, the twitter of little birds...

IMG_4312.jpg

IMG_4306.jpg

IMG_4316.jpg

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:31 PM

:whyme:  :mad:

#3 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:20 PM

^

^Murder.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#4 VicPushedOver

VicPushedOver
  • 450 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:01 PM

When walking by yesterday I saw an unusual site, a flocks of crows eating, they were spread out fairly evenly on the grounds, 3 dozen or more.

So I asked the guards at the court house what was going on, he said - the were eating dead rats. Saw some of those too,

along with several plastic rat traps. The rats are still around the area looking for somewhere else to go. Discovered a live one when I opened my BBQ couple days ago I now bring my cat with me when I open it.

#5 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:37 PM

Oh my, roast rat! I've seen a couple of dead ones as I've walked past.

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:24 PM

It would seem Mayor Helps is suggesting a "Change.org" petition might encourage the Province to construct a children's play area as part of the remediation of this site

...Speaking Thursday on CFAX, Mayor Lisa Helps says she loves the idea and wished she'd thought of it. "Our downtown population is exploding and lots of young families living downtown and their kids need a place to play.  It would be a perfect opportunity for the city to give back to the neighbourhood and and gain something for the general population at the same time." Helps says she and her staff will work with the ministry to see if something like this can happen. She also suggests private citizens can get involved by starting a petition through change.org

http://www.cfax1070....ground-for-cour

Of course such a petition already exists, but I don't think she likes the wording: https://www.change.o...n=new_signature

Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG

• Bingo likes this

#7 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:03 PM

CFAX Poll

Should a playground be installed at the Victoria Courthouse where tent city used to be?

Yes 56%

No  43%

http://www.cfax1070.com/

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:38 PM

They should have provided a few choices.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:06 PM

Why not build an addition onto the Courthouse, hire some more judges and clear up the backlog of cases.

• spanky123 and todd like this

#10 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:19 PM

It would seem Mayor Helps is suggesting a "Change.org" petition might encourage the Province to construct a children's play area as part of the remediation of this site

Of course such a petition already exists, but I don't think she likes the wording: https://www.change.o...n=new_signature

Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG

Children :mad:, how about just bring back the homeless. How about one of those adult exercise playgrounds?

Edited by todd, 18 August 2016 - 08:19 PM.

#11 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:09 PM

Does anyone know an actual family that lives downtown? I don't
  • spanky123 and sebberry like this

#12 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:19 AM

It would seem to me that there is a very simple solution here. All council needs to do is designate the park as a no camping area - just like they did for the two parks close to Isitt's and Helps' houses

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:04 AM

It would seem to me that there is a very simple solution here. All council needs to do is designate the park as a no camping area - just like they did for the two parks close to Isitt's and Helps' houses

I would agree except this is provincial not city property.

#14 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:45 AM

And the bylaw says...

Mayor Lisa Helps has already come out swinging in favour of the province putting a playground on the site.

“We’re seeing lots of young families living downtown, and we don’t have a playground downtown,” she said. “The downtown population is growing and people are having kids, and they’re not able to afford a single-family dwelling in Fairfield.”

“If there’s a playground, there is no camping overnight,” Helps said. “That is what our bylaw says.” 

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.tEtvDuOb.dpuf

#15 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:47 AM

We need more playgrounds downtown, especially ones without needles.

• Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:21 AM

What's wrong with needles? A bit of dirt builds immunity.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#17 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:22 AM

Mayor Lisa Helps has already come out swinging in favour of the province putting a playground on the site.

“We’re seeing lots of young families living downtown, and we don’t have a playground downtown,” she said.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.tEtvDuOb.dpuf

Except for this one on Mason Street six blocks from City Hall.

Mason%202.jpg

Or Central Park,complete with a Steve Nash basketball court.

Central%20park%202.jpg

Central%20Park%203.jpg

#18 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:29 AM

Except for this one on Mason Street six blocks from City Hall.

[snip]

Or Central Park,complete with a Steve Nash basketball court.

[snip]

Neither of those would be "downtown" and even if you considered them so the area around the courthouse is still lacking a playground.

And for the question of families living downtown, perhaps more would if there were more appropriate facilities like playgrounds.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:45 AM

A year ago the mayor was saying children need to toughen up and be exposed to the street community. Now she's pushing for a play park because the population of children is "exploding" in downtown Victoria and a former tent city location would create incredible optics for her as a politician.

Look, Mayor and Council, tent city PUSHED AWAY children from the Anglican school, and Mount Edwards will eventually force the school to relocate. Our Place PUSHED AWAY hundreds of kids from St Andrews elementary. To me is seems disingenuous to now push the "kids first" agenda by a mayor who is also on video promoting the exposure of children to the Topaz Park tent city in what I would call a mocking manner.

"Oh no, my child might see a homeless person, oh no, my child might see someone with a mental illness. I think that's good. I think that's ok." Have a listen for yourself at the 1:40 mark http://www.cheknews....nt-camp-110215/

• Nparker, spanky123, Bingo and 3 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:48 AM

Neither of those would be "downtown" and even if you considered them so the area around the courthouse is still lacking a playground.

And for the question of families living downtown, perhaps more would if there were more appropriate facilities like playgrounds.

Where else you you suggest we build a downtown playground for all the "families" living downtown?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users