Photo

Highway 1 (Trans-Canada Highway) discussion

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 gkz

gkz
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:35 PM

Discussion for Highway 1 (the Trans-Canada Highway) on the Island.

We have specific threads for the Malahat, the McKenzie Interchange, and the Leigh Road Interchange which lie on Highway 1. This is a thread for other projects along the highway.

We also have threads for HWY 17 and HWY 14.

• Mike K. and sebberry like this

#2 gkz

gkz
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

Work on the dual left turn lane onto Westshore Parkway and perperation for 2+2 laning from Leigh Rd to Goldstream:

Looking north from Westshore Parkway, the land is clear for the additional lane toward Goldstream:

ou3I53Y.jpg

Looking South from the same location:

KM8J5N2.jpg

Panorama:

FNxNamR.jpg

The road leading up the mountain is paved (at least the beginning is).

• jonny likes this

#3 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:10 PM

View from my office at McCallum Rd - been like this since before Noon. if you're heading north over the Malahat for the long weekend...enjoy:

Attached Images

• TCH traffic.jpg

#4 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:02 PM

We were going to take our dog up to Cow Bay this morning  for boarding before we left for a weekend away. We wisely decided to take her up a day ahead of time.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5 gkz

gkz
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:14 PM

The 4-laning project from Leigh Rd to Goldstream won't improve the situation much for people travelling north over the Malahat, as it will just move the bottleneck further up, but it will go far in making the Leigh Rd Interchange operate smoothly, which will be especially important once Leigh Rd is pushed over the railroad tracks to Langford Parkway, and the Bear Mountain Parkway is completed. Currently, backed up traffic makes it useless for local trips exiting at Leigh Rd, and the interchange and it's connecting roads are heavily used for rat-running around the traffic. It will be interesting to observe traffic patterns in a year or two after these various projects are completed.

#6 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:08 AM

I'm not sure what they could do with the Malahat section near Goldstream park.  It's too narrow to widen, and punching a new road through the other side of the mountain is in the drinking water watershed.  

#7 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:46 AM

I believe they have already released their plans to add 2 more lanes at goldstream

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:51 AM

What's the timeline for expanding the Goldstream stretch?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 victoriassecret

victoriassecret
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:25 AM

Friday afternoon was completely painless presumably because of the weather forecast. Seems like it's been construction project after construction project along there for years!

#10 victoriassecret

victoriassecret
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:26 AM

The 4-laning project from Leigh Rd to Goldstream won't improve the situation much for people travelling north over the Malahat, as it will just move the bottleneck further up, but it will go far in making the Leigh Rd Interchange operate smoothly, which will be especially important once Leigh Rd is pushed over the railroad tracks to Langford Parkway, and the Bear Mountain Parkway is completed. Currently, backed up traffic makes it useless for local trips exiting at Leigh Rd, and the interchange and it's connecting roads are heavily used for rat-running around the traffic. It will be interesting to observe traffic patterns in a year or two after these various projects are completed.

I've found since the lights were installed Leigh Rd is a lot better.

#11 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:38 PM

I believe they have already released their plans to add 2 more lanes at goldstream

Not through Goldstream. Further up the have announced plans for 4 lanes. Goldstream would need some kind of a viaduct and I can't see the public going for that. They might be able to do something with Finlayson Arm Road but it would cut through the park.....(?)

#12 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:56 PM

I'm not sure what they could do with the Malahat section near Goldstream park. It's too narrow to widen, and punching a new road through the other side of the mountain is in the drinking water watershed.

Seriously? We built highways and railways through the bloody Rockies but little Goldstream Park is an engineering impossibility?
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#13 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:59 PM

This excuse from the Province (that goldstream is too costly or challenging, to expand) is so lame and the general public and media have lapped it all up.

There is probably hundreds of miles worth of tunnels in this province alone. All of a sudden in 2016 we can't do something we did 100 years ago???
  • sdwright.vic and RFS like this

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:08 PM

Politically, no.

Most of the infrastructure we take for granted today would never be built today for political reasons.
  • sebberry and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:01 PM

Politically, no.

Most of the infrastructure we take for granted today would never be built today for political reasons.

In 1926 the total amount of taxation from citizens used by government was about 6% of the revenue they had to spend.  Not so today.  I don't think we can afford what we could back when all of these projects were done.

#16 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:07 PM

This excuse from the Province (that goldstream is too costly or challenging, to expand) is so lame and the general public and media have lapped it all up.

There is probably hundreds of miles worth of tunnels in this province alone. All of a sudden in 2016 we can't do something we did 100 years ago???

I could be off base but I thought, or thought I'd read somewhere at any rate, that the issue with Goldstream was the fact it was/is a provincial park, which severely limited if not prohibited outright construction activity/options on that section of the highway running through the park proper...?

#17 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:58 PM

Roads through provincial parks can and are widened sometimes if the province deems it necessary. As for a bypass of Goldstream in the watershed lands to the west - a provision was made to allow for a highway in the watershed area when the area was first demarcated.

As for politics - if traffic starts backing up from Saanich to Goldstream preventing folks getting home or to Costco - then you would have a new political reality.

Traffic is buidling on the route fast year after year - I can't see Goldstream remaining a narrow 2 lane highway for ever. Especially after every other part becomes 4 lanes plus.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#18 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:11 PM

Excuses, excuses. The highway through Banff was expanded and that's through a national park!

Besides, our provincial legislators have the power to change whatever law needs changing if there were to be a political impediment.

#19 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:20 PM

Excuses, excuses. The highway through Banff was expanded and that's through a national park!

Besides, our provincial legislators have the power to change whatever law needs changing if there were to be a political impediment.

"Excuses"? What are you on about? I asked a legitimate question - not all of us claim to have all the answers all the time to all the questions - and which malahtdrive answered without all the drama, thank you very much....

#20 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:47 AM

As I mentioned far above, MOTI's plan is for 2 lanes of proper divided and median'd highway through the park.  It should be the next section after the one just announced.  The north Malahat is the section that is quite far off.

I don't see how you could 4 lane it without blowing up half the mountain (to expand it west), building it in the parking lot of the park and on the river (to the east), or blow a couple hundred million on a total reroute through the watershed.  Stacked highway?  inbound on top, outbound on the bottom?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users