267 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:21 PM

http://www.saanichne.../393288741.html

Saanich adds new West Saanich park

Following an independent appraisal the land was purchased for $650,000.

However, not everyone supports the purchase, as Mayor Richard Atwell says it’s an unnecessary addition to Saanich’s park portfolio.

“I believe that area is over served by parks where there are three [Goy, Logan and Calvert parks], plus Layrtiz and its walking trails, all in a rurally populated area,” Atwell said. “The acquisition of this park wasn’t in the parks planning, and it was decided on without public consultation, which I think there should have been.”

Furthermore, the initial expenditure won’t be the end cost, Atwell added, as there will be further costs to create a network of trails.

Regardless, Kardum becomes Saanich’s 171st park. The name, Riccius said, comes as part of the deal with the Kardum family that has owned the land over the past generation.

Say what you want about parks, but a purchase like this probably ought to be a decision by council, or council decree that kicks in when certain conditions are met.

Staff can just make a $650,000 purchase decision with no oversight?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:45 PM

Hmm. I wish that whole area could be redeveloped, and quickly. Tons of development opportunity, far better location than Westhills or Royal Bay for folks working in Victoria. Is it all ALR or something that prevents that?

They got another park. Let's bring more residential to the area so that all these parks get used.

#3 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:54 PM

Interesting, after reading the post about Atwell's concerns I thought I'd check out the municipal website to get more info assuming it has been discussed in some meeting at some point? Scanning council & Parks minutes / agendas both are devoid of information on new land acquisition other than around McKenzie for the Highway project.
  • Nparker likes this

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:10 PM

This has come out of left field. Who signs the cheques at Saanich City Hall?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:20 PM

http://www.saanichne.../393288741.html

Say what you want about parks, but a purchase like this probably ought to be a decision by council, or council decree that kicks in when certain conditions are met.

Staff can just make a $650,000 purchase decision with no oversight?

Agreed, but there should be target areas and pre-authorization or a desired purchase would never happen.  I'd warn about the thought of "public consultation".  Who isn't going to say yes to a park, and how much would that cost?  Staff cost somewhere between 1.5x and 2.5x the persons salary to cover everything from office space to benefits.  You'll burn through that $650K pretty quick discussing it.  That can quickly double the $650K.  

On a side note.....usually capital costs cannot be taken from operating budgets.  Curious to know, given the taxpayer cost of the JSB and sewage treatment is the "total cost", how much goes to the companies and how much goes to the CRD/City of Victoria staff?  You'd be surprised.

#6 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:28 PM

Who signs the cheques at Saanich City Hall?

Me?

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:56 PM

"Following an independent appraisal the land was purchased for $650,000."

That's just great isn't it? I wonder how much the "independent appraisal' came up with because the BC assessor thinks it worth $492,000.

The going price for 5 acres out here in Rural Saanich is $500,000.

The article linked above lends you to believe this parcel is large by stating the property is 1.5 hectares. That is 3.77 acres which is smaller that the 5 acre minimum for subdivision out here outside the urban containment boundary. 

Does Saanich have a line item in the budget that allows for capital cost expenditures of this kind by department heads? I guess we will have to ask Eva Riccius the "senior" parks manager.

#8 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:58 PM

I wonder if Mayor Richard Atwell has access to the municipality's computer system yet?

• lanforod likes this

#9 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:42 AM

I'm pretty sure it has to be approved by council, but the mayor didn't like that it was just dropped on them, essentially complete.  He's trying to appear fiscally prudent.

Anyways the park is a good addition, and apparently will remove a gap that would allow people to walk from Thetis all the way to the Colquitz trail by trails only.  I think that's pretty cool.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#10 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:46 AM

Anyways the park is a good addition, and apparently will remove a gap that would allow people to walk from Thetis all the way to the Colquitz trail by trails only.  I think that's pretty cool.

Would you mind explaining this please. I can't make any sense of your comment when looking at the map. 

#11 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:36 AM

Would you mind explaining this please. I can't make any sense of your comment when looking at the map. 

West to East: Thetis to Frances King, to the new park, to the Glendale trail (also known in some sections as the Interurban rail trail), then to Colquitz.  You can even continue on all the way to Rithet's Bog and Mt. Doug, and in the future to Elk Lake as well.

Not sure who can actually walk that far.  Getting some high scores on the Fitbit I guess...

#12 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:40 AM

A normal map won't show the trails.  Try Openstreetmap.  Looks to me after this park and its trails go in you might need to walk on-road for less than 300 metres to get from Thetis to Mt. Doug.

#13 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:15 AM

West to East: Thetis to Frances King, to the new park, to the Glendale trail (also known in some sections as the Interurban rail trail), then to Colquitz.  You can even continue on all the way to Rithet's Bog and Mt. Doug, and in the future to Elk Lake as well.

Not sure who can actually walk that far.  Getting some high scores on the Fitbit I guess...

Most of it isn't really bike-able right?

#14 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:35 AM

Most of it isn't really bike-able right?

Less than half for sure.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:08 PM

Seven years later, Burnside Gorge compensated for park

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.viVJpUQP.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#16 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,297 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 06:55 AM

Permanent barbecues could soon be installed in Victoria parks

Council lists community building action item as strategic priority for 2019-2022

https://www.vicnews....victoria-parks/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 March 2019 - 06:55 AM.

#17 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:19 PM

Permanent barbecues could soon be installed in Victoria parks

Council lists community building action item as strategic priority for 2019-2022

https://www.vicnews....victoria-parks/

Given all the issues and challenges facing the city and region - ahem, transportation, affordability, potholes - how the hell are community BBQ's a 'strategic priority?!'

Seriously, eighty five grand (and you know it'll go way over budget this being the CoV). In Topaz Park? Must be Ben Isitt country. Wouldn't $85k just about cover hiring an extra cop....?

How and who will ensure the units are secure, and cleaned and maintained regularly? Assuming its a CoV crew is the cost of those activities factored into the budget?

Propane tanks are a major target for thieves; moreover as anyone with a home propane BBQ knows you must ensure the valve on the tank is completely turned to the OFF position once you're done. Ditto for the valve on the BBQ itself. How will the city ensure that happens?

If it doesn't what happens when the next user, who happens to be a smoker, comes along with a lit butt, or lights one up in close proximity after the gas has had some time potentially to become concentrated? Same question in the case of a vandal looking for kicks who decides to flick his bic hoping to start a little impromptu park bonfire; either way if there is a problem is the city liable in the case of an "accident"?

Yeeeeaaaah I can see really wanting to BBQ my expensive NY strip loin steaks for the entire family on that Topaz (or for that matter any public unit) after 5000 other people - 'community' folks, or otherwise - have had at it...

#18 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:30 PM

The cynic in me says that BBQs in CoV parks are only a "strategic priority" if you're trying to attract more overnight campers to boost your PiT homeless count numbers.

• AllseeingEye and Midnightly like this

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:32 PM

...Yeeeeaaaah I can see really wanting to BBQ my expensive NY strip loin steaks for the entire family on that Topaz (or for that matter any public unit) after 5000 other people - 'community' folks, or otherwise - have had at it...

You think the local vegeterrorists* are going to allow meat to be cooked on city BBQs?

* copyright pending

#20 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:33 PM

This was common in the parks around Brisbane when I was there.  Stainless steal plates hooked up to municipal LNG lines.  No open flame or grills.  People cleaned up after themselves it seemed.

Of course that was there, this is here.  And therefore-it-can't-work-here notwithstanding, I really do think that they would be abused and/or repurposed immediately in Victoria. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users