[Marine] Nanaimo - Vancouver passenger ferry

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:10 AM

Island Ferries is concerned a process to find a foot-ferry operator has been "unduly influenced" in the wake of council allegations about an agreement the mayor had with another ferry company.

Island Ferries has asked the city and its partners, currently in a process to choose a foot-ferry operator for Nanaimo, to immediately suspend Clipper Navigation from consideration and hire a provincially appointed fairness advisor who would audit the procurement process to date and oversee it going forward.

The call was outlined in a press release issued by the company today on the heels of a council statement, released Tuesday, that alleges Mayor Bill McKay entered into a non-disclosure agreement with Clipper Navigation Inc. to begin discussions to bring a foot ferry to Nanaimo. At the time, the city had leases with Island Ferries and was party to a memorandum of understanding with the ferry company.

The city is currently in a process with the Nanaimo Port Authority and Snuneymuxw to determine which of three foot-ferry companies that have expressed of interest should get a berth in the Harbour City. A technical advisory committee, appointed to analyze proposals from Clipper Navigation, Island Ferries and Riverside Marine, was expected to release its findings in a closed meeting today.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:13 AM

An NDA is hardly an agreement to do anything other than keep confidential information confidential. I would expect that the Mayor and council would look at all options if they are considering a ferry.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:44 AM

Everything sure takes forever around here.

http://www.timescolo...rvice-1.6550060

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

Clearly the ferry business is not a good business for private operators. I have wondered why this is, and I think it's due to the Transport Canada safety regulations about minimum number of crew. Licensed crew are a big labour expense. The Coho operates with a crew of like 5 people from the states. But on BC ferries they need probably 4x that (I am guessing, but I think I'm in the right ballpark). 

I wonder if a US competitor could run a competing ferry service from Roberts Point to the island and make it viable. 

#5 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:51 AM

Couple details on Island Ferries (Nanaimo to Vancouver) that some people may not be up to speed on:

• departure from Vancouver will be from the SeaBus terminal, pending negotiations with Translink on the upgrades and lease
  • two new catamarans are being built in Singapore at a total cost of $40M
  • vessels will have a capacity of around 375, and the trip would be less than 70 minutes one way
  • fares may start at $25 one way

More info can be found here: http://dailyhive.com...rry-update-2018

• Nparker, qwerty, lanforod and 3 others like this

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:40 PM

$25, that's what I'm talking about. But then that is also about 1/3 of the time it takes to travel from the Inner Harbour to downtown Vancouver via catamaran.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:29 PM

At those prices and times it would start to make sense to drive to Nanaimo and take that if you're going downtown anyway.

#8 ks112

ks112
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:13 PM

At those prices and times it would start to make sense to drive to Nanaimo and take that if you're going downtown anyway.

gas and the stress to drive up to nanaimo there and back vs parking at the ferry and taking public transit to downtown Vancouver.

#9 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 11:43 AM

In a crowded hot, smelly sardine can full of losers no thanks

#10 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:58 PM

^ ???

#11 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,307 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:28 AM

He did not give a date when the service might launch, other than: “We are focused on the summer.”

If Island Ferry Services Ltd. obtains financing it will bring two catamaran ferries to Nanaimo, he said. The 376-passenger vessels are being built in Singapore. They are expected to be completed in late May or early June, Marshall said.

https://www.timescol...mmer-1.23583563

#12 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 01:24 PM

Nanaimo-Vancouver walk-on ferry promised for next year

https://www.timescol...year-1.24191814

The company has been ­working to introduce the service for years. In 2019, Marshall said the the company had lost an investor, resulting in a delay. He predicted then that would happen in 2020 at the earliest. The company had previously said in 2014 and 2017 that the ferry was imminent.

Kim Smythe, chief executive of the Greater Nanaimo Chamber of Commerce, said he has heard that there are a couple of new proponents that may be interested in running a foot-passenger service. He was not given the name of possible ferry operators.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 August 2020 - 01:32 PM.

#13 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 01:25 PM

In a crowded hot, smelly sardine can full of losers no thanks

the annual VV members general meeting?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 August 2020 - 01:26 PM.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 01:25 PM

I was going to ask when the next E&N commuter rail plan was going to surface.
  • Nparker, Matt R., splashflash and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 01:26 PM

Nanaimo-Vancouver walk-on ferry promised for next year...

I believe I first saw this headline sometime around 1990...and every few years since.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#16 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 02:01 PM

I believe I first saw this headline sometime around 1990...and every few years since.

It's always in between an article about how downtown victoria has turned into an urban nightmare and an article about IKEA coming to the Island.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 04:04 PM

Don’t forget about the drought. Much never forget about the drought.
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users