Ironworks
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 515 Chatham Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Ironworks is a mixed-use two-building, five-storey condominium and ground floor commercial development in down... (view full profile)
Learn more about Ironworks on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The IronWorks | Condos; retail | 5 & 5-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
641 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:18 PM

The gravel parking lot at 515 Chatham Street will be redeveloped next year into a 170-unit condo development called IronWorks.

The project will be built over two phases with a height of four-storeys. I'll have more info soon.

Citified profile: http://victoria.citi.../the-ironworks/

• Nparker and RoadRunner like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:45 PM

Yet another 4-storey development huh? I guess given the proximity to Old Town that is to be expected.

I sure hope its one hell of an innovative and interesting looking building and not destined to be some faux pas "heritage" rip-off a la the original Songhees of 1980's fame/infamy....

One wonders how this entire area might have evolved had the city ultimately gone with Fraser McColl's original proposal for a 10,000-seat multiplex to be sited here back when they were getting serious about replacing the old Memorial Arena.

• Nparker likes this

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:34 PM

Why not a set back fifth or sixth storey penthouse?

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

Because this will be wood frame.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:03 PM

Because this will be wood frame.

Wood frame buildings can be up to 6 floors now - correct?

• sebberry likes this

#6 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:13 PM

170 units over 4 stories? Is that right? Not even the Janion has that many units on a similar lot size with more stories. Is this another micro suite project?

Anyways, here's the website: http://www.ironworksliving.com/

#7 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:23 PM

considering how popular the janion was microlofts would be a smart idea. charge ~150k a pop and sell out in a week

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:29 PM

Lefevre's website suggests that all units will be one-bedroom, so they must be larger than some of the units at the Janion - correct?

iron - Copy.JPG

I too am puzzled as to how they will build 170 units in this footprint only going up 4 floors.

iron2.JPG

As per the Citified article, there will also be "a commercial unit...situated on the corner of Store and Chatham streets, sized between 1,500 and 2,000 square feet"...This will reduce the space available for the residential units even further.

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:44 PM

Looking at the parking lot you can jam 180 cars into that space, so for 4 floors my rough calculation would be 4.6* cars inside the average unit, but down to 2.9* cars if more space is lost to "commercial". 

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:28 AM

Chris LeFevre will be able to watch the progress of the project from his office next door, or will that land become part of the Ironworks.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:29 AM

No, that's a separate site.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:33 AM

No, that's a separate site.

Okay, then Chris will be able knock a hole in his wall to access the project with having to unroll his umbrella. 

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:54 AM

I am okay with the 4 storey height here though a fifth floor set-back would be nice as well.

I do have a concern though. While I am generally in favour of concentrating commercial along specific streets and in specific areas I am a little concerned about not having commercial along the entire bottom. Are we deciding now that Herald is the last commercial focused street in downtown? If we are okay, but that was not evident to me before this. If it is just commercial along Store Street than is it the entire length or just the corner? If it is just the corner than I think this could be a huge issue in the future. Creating a commercial dead zone. I am also hoping it is multiple spaces not just one. I am feeling very uneasy especially without having seen this...

• Baro likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:41 AM

Because Victoria.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:13 PM

It's a single commercial space on the corner and live-work units along Chatham. I would imagine that the need for a garage entrance precludes more retail frontage from appearing along Store.

Know it all.

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:03 PM

The garage entrance should not be on Store Street.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:14 PM

Wood frame buildings can be up to 6 floors now - correct?

Ya, but you do not build it to the wood strength of 6-floors to just support a small few units on the top.  6-floor wood frame are maxed square footage on each floor above #2 including the top 2.  AND you have to have high ceilings/features in the top to get more money too, to support the extra construction costs.  Going 6 instead of 4 costs a lot more money per floor for floors #1 and #2, in strength, and loss of sellable square footage too on those floors.  You also lose some larger window opportunities on those floors, making them less attractive.

Esquimalt:

e4a12c29.jpg

https://esquimaltrev...g-up-esquimalt/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#18 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:16 PM

The garage entrance should not be on Store Street.

I think it will be the terrific sidewalks that will define the Iron Works project.

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:24 PM

...6-floor wood frame are maxed square footage on each floor including the top 2.

This isn't exactly true for the St. Andrew's project. Only a portion of that is going to 6 floors.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:28 PM

This isn't exactly true for the St. Andrew's project. Only a portion of that is going to 6 floors.

Ground floor commercial at St. Andrews will not be wood.  You can not build high-ceiling large-expanse (limited supports) units with wood.   So it has at the very least a concrete one or two floors before wood over.

• Bingo and jonny like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)