First Chinese-language newspaper

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:48 AM

I wouldn't have guessed this. I thought there would have been a Chinese-language newspaper a long time ago. Maybe they did, just not published on Vancouver Island.

http://www.cheknews....wspaper-275451/

#2 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:03 AM

"It’s owner says while there are no firm statistics it’s believed close to 40,000 people of Chinese decent live on Vancouver Island."

Who writes this crap?

#3 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:14 AM

I wouldn't have guessed this. I thought there would have been a Chinese-language newspaper a long time ago. Maybe they did, just not published on Vancouver Island.

http://www.cheknews....wspaper-275451/

According to Wikipedia, Vancouver has four Chinese-language daily newspapers, Ming Pao, Sing Tao, World Journal and The Epoch Times. Ming Pao and Sing Tao cater to a Cantonese-speaking readership whereas World Journal and The Epoch Times target Mandarin speakers.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#4 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:37 PM

According to Wikipedia, Vancouver has four Chinese-language daily newspapers, Ming Pao, Sing Tao, World Journal and The Epoch Times. Ming Pao and Sing Tao cater to a Cantonese-speaking readership whereas World Journal and
The Epoch Times target Mandarin speakers.

Interesting. Written Chinese is the same everywhere. Are these talking newspapers? Perhaps their editorial slants are geared to northern and southern Chinese people.

#5 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:02 PM

Google translate?

谷歌翻譯?

Edited by todd, 12 February 2017 - 07:08 PM.

#6 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

Interesting. Written Chinese is the same everywhere. Are these talking newspapers? Perhaps their editorial slants are geared to northern and southern Chinese people.

While the characters are the same, there are grammatical differences between Cantonese and Mandarin.  Plus the Cantonese ones may have more Hong Kong-related content. 

• RFS likes this

#7 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:34 PM

"It’s owner says while there are no firm statistics it’s believed close to 40,000 people of Chinese decent live on Vancouver Island."

Who writes this crap?

This is what happens when media offloads higher salaries in favour of paying a 20-year-old $11 an hour to write copy. ;)

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#8 kungfucious

kungfucious
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 09:00 PM

While the characters are the same, there are grammatical differences between Cantonese and Mandarin.  Plus the Cantonese ones may have more Hong Kong-related content.

kunfucious says: when people post answers they lack knowledge on, only the fool would not question

Edited by kungfucious, 13 January 2022 - 09:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users