PROPOSED
Victoria PARC
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 829-899 Fort Street / 846-856 Broughton Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
PARC Retirement Living is proposing a seniors’ independent living rental residence (with a 5% below-market a... (view full profile)
Learn more about Victoria PARC on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] Victoria PARC | Seniors rentals; commercial | 10-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:49 AM

A community meeting is coming up for a proposal to build a 10-storey seniors rental housing project that will span between 829 and 891 Fort Street (essentially half of the south side of the 800-block of Fort Street, the entire length of the short block of Quadra Street between Broughton and Fort streets, and three properties to the west right up to the Escher lot along Broughton Street.

Pacific Arbour Six Residences Ltd/Parc Retirement Living are the proponents.

The complex will also include 35,000 square feet of commercial space that could be used for medical offices, a small grocery store and other services. The community meeting is planned for the 20th, the second such meeting.

Citified entryhttp://victoria.citi...91-fort-street/

829-891-Fort-Pacific-Arbour-Six-Residences-Parc-Retirement-Living.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:07 AM

I sure hope they come up with an interesting design or this could be one fugly mess.

And of course, in typical Victoria style it's going to be exactly the same height as the highest building adjacent to it. It should be a slim 15-storey tower on the Fort/Quadra corner and no more than 6 floors on the sections next to Escher.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:24 AM

So the one parking lot shown there on Broughton is now the Escher.

What businesses does this displace?  Price's Locks etc.?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:55 AM

Yes, all of those, and the four-storey office building right on the corner.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,235 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

Design probably depends on if this is supposed to be affordable seniors rental or market rate seniors rental. I assume this will be a 55+ or higher rental. Will it be a true retirement place with a ton of amenities, costing thousands per month...

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:45 AM

20-units will be below market-value rent. The remaining 235 will be market rentals.

Know it all.

#7 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:25 AM

Seems like a reasonable design for that area, but I would assume those that just bought units in Escher that will be facing the new building will not be too happy.  

#8 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:27 AM

Exciting news. That area could really use a refresh. Only downside is this looks like it will become another block of buildings all of the same height.

#9 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:31 AM

This has all the makings for a disaster, because the posted height (10 stories) and unit density (255 units) suggests a pretty chunky building (that yes, is the exact same height as Escher...sigh).

Hopefully the design is very good like Escher and not wholly mediocre like Jukebox.

• Nparker and victorian like this

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

Seems like a reasonable design for that area, but I would assume those that just bought units in Escher that will be facing the new building will not be too happy.  

It's a terrible design if it can't take into account the recently completed Escher building. Surrounding it with a 10-storey wall on 2 sides is the worst possible option.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:44 AM

That's unlikely to happen for that very reason. My guess is we'll see the greatest height at the corner with a lowrise wing along Fort.

Know it all.

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

...My guess is we'll see the greatest height at the corner with a low rise wing along Fort.

If it doesn't get some sort of height variation it will be hideous.

#13 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:03 AM

I'm hoping for staggered height, but what makes me nervous is the proposed number of units (255). That's a big building!

989 Johnson will only have 206 units. Yello will have 209 units. 255 is a high number of units! They will need a lot of square footage to squeeze in 255 units, even if they are small units.

#14 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

This building, which seems to have a similar footprint, is being built in Vernon with 6-, 8-, and 10-story component. But even it is only 153 units.

PropertyFile.jpg

PropertyFile (1).jpg

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

I believe many seniors are cool with single-room studio type layouts, so you can really pack those in. Consider that the Janion has 122-units.

Know it all.

#16 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:31 PM

I'm hoping for staggered height, but what makes me nervous is the proposed number of units (255). That's a big building!

989 Johnson will only have 206 units. Yello will have 209 units. 255 is a high number of units! They will need a lot of square footage to squeeze in 255 units, even if they are small units.

Don't forget the 35,000 sq. ft. of commercial space! Hopefully they are proposing a 10-storey apartment tower over a 2-storey commercial podium.

#17 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:35 PM

I believe many seniors are cool with single-room studio type layouts, so you can really pack those in. Consider that the Janion has 122-units.

But imagine the emergency evacuations! Hundreds of walkers clogging every escape route.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:51 PM

Some more info, sounds like this is going to be a mixed no age restriction and seniors rental project.

Know it all.

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:56 PM

...sounds like this is going to be a mixed no age restriction and seniors rental project.

Might need a greater variety of unit sizes then.

#20 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

Got this in the mail about it:

20170314_172425.jpg 20170314_172417.jpg

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users