• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:37 AM

Telus-Sky-Calgary-Citified.jpg

An artist's rendering of Telus Sky, a 58-storey mixed-use skyscraper currently under construction in Calgary. The project is one of several real-estate moves by the communications giant aimed at promoting its presence in key markets across western Canada.

TELUS looks to downtown Victoria for new office complex

http://victoria.citi...office-complex/

TELUS is seeking to consolidate its Capital City offices into a modern business hub in downtown Victoria, Citified has learned.

The Vancouver-based communications and healthcare technology giant has approached several development firms to assess near-term expansion opportunities in the city centre, a move that would see TELUS relocate some or all of its operations from an existing facility spanning the 800-blocks of Yates and Johnson streets. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,400 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

For the most fleeting of moments I thought the above rendering was a proposal for Victoria.

• shoeflack likes this

#3 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

For the most fleeting of moments I thought the above rendering was a proposal for Victoria.

My heart skipped a few beats as well!

Canadian telecom companies have built some beautiful towers in recent years...whether is Shaw, Telus...Rogers has a real estate arm as well. Would be amazing to have TELUS build something downtown.

#4 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

do we know if they would they be looking at building something on their current site beside the atrium?

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:46 PM

do we know if they would they be looking at building something on their current site beside the atrium?

The Vancouver-based communications and healthcare technology giant has approached several development firms to assess near-term expansion opportunities in the city centre, a move that would see TELUS relocate some or all of its operations from an existing facility spanning the 800-blocks of Yates and Johnson streets

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:48 PM

whoops
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,400 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:15 PM

Would the Gateway Green proposal work?

• DavidSchell likes this

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:21 PM

It certainly could!

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:41 PM

They seem to be building much classier buildings then Gateway Green though.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,400 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:46 PM

They seem to be building much classier buildings then Gateway Green though.

Perhaps, but those aren't in the city that the 21st century forgot. Something tells me Victoria won't be getting an architectural masterpiece even if Telus were to hire their own team of cutting edge architects.

• AllseeingEye and sdwright.vic like this

#11 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:01 PM

The Gateway Green design is 11 years old. Almost heritage. I think its time has passed. The big complaint about it was a floorplate supposedly smaller than normally preferred. 

I also heard that the current Telus building was likely to stay there for a long time since all the phone lines run through there and relocating them would be a logistical nightmare.

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,400 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:07 PM

The Gateway Green design is 11 years old... the big complaint about it was a floor plate supposedly smaller than normally preferred. 

That's why I was asking the question as to whether it would be suitable for Telus' needs. I don't think the aesthetic would need much updating. As I stated above, Victoria is not exactly noted for its cutting edge architectural designs. If you're a corporation thinking of any sort of office space in the region you pretty much know what to expect and avant-garde it won't be.

#13 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

The Gateway Green design is 11 years old. Almost heritage. I think its time has passed. The big complaint about it was a floorplate supposedly smaller than normally preferred. 

I also heard that the current Telus building was likely to stay there for a long time since all the phone lines run through there and relocating them would be a logistical nightmare.

As I recall from a conversation with them when I was at the LTSA after we moved into the Atrium in 2010, the SIP trunking main lines for their unified comm customers - the BCG above all - and all their associated network routing and switching hardware, is (or was at least at the time) housed at 800 Yates. It would be prohibitively expensive to physically disconnect and move all that gear to a different location, not to mention the effort required in terms of re-architecting and reinstalling it. 

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,400 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

...TELUS is seeking to consolidate its Capital City offices into a modern business hub in downtown Victoria...

...It would be prohibitively expensive to physically disconnect and move all that gear to a different location...

So is Mike's Citified intel wrong?

#15 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:35 PM

So is Mike's Citified intel wrong?

No not all - in response to Rob's comment I merely concurred that it would be expensive from a network core perspective - but it's hardly technically impossible. Such core moves or replacements are made all the time; it would up to TELUS however to ascertain if the ROI on a physical move would be worth it in the long run, or not.

But from a purely technical standpoint they can do anything they like; the org can certainly re-locate staff and management and have new corporate digs in a separate location from wherever the technical core architecture resides, no problem. Again it would be up to the company to determine whether that is both feasible and desirable from a business and fiscal perspective. I'm not a building architect so I have no idea or sense one way or the other whether building from scratch in a new location is more efficient and economical than updating and/or expanding the current Yates Street location.

#16 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:43 PM

But then you remembered Pam Madoff is still on Victoria city council.

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,400 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:49 PM

But then you remembered Pam Madoff is still on Victoria city council.

Touché

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:20 PM

For all we know at this point, they may wish to retain their current equipment/location in some way even with a new office facility.

Here's a little piece of local trivia Sparky shared with me. The microwave dish atop the Telus tower is pointed straight at the dish atop the Jack Davis building.

Know it all.

#19 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:22 PM

It wasn't until I read the caption that I stopped trying to place the other buildings in the rendering.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#20 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:22 PM

At some point, these major trunk lines need to be upgraded and/or replaced. Stuff (particularly endpoint) wears out. Newer routers, newer switches etc will be needed.I suppose they may need more or less space, or a better or more modern data centre/switch board. It doesn't need to stay as legacy hardware. Telus likely has a roadmap for doing all that, and a new building could be part of that plan.

In the meantime, I could see them doing as ASE suggested - perhaps moving the people first, and the gear later or piece by piece as upgrading is done etc.

I could see them shooting more for a smaller version of Vancouver's new Telus Garden, rather than that Calgary tower. http://westbankcorp....g?itok=A4s4496E

• AllseeingEye and jonny like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users