- - - - -

London Drugs supports 150 new refugees for Canada's 150

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:17 PM

Today I noticed a table with cards on it similar to Santa Anonymous style but with red maple leaves asking for help to help 150 new refugees for Canada 150 birthday.
Some of the cards seemed to ask for modest items cleaning supplies,laundry baskets,flour etc .
Not too bad of an idea .
The more I read tho the more my blood started to boil .
Vacuum cleaners ,iPhone for my wife ,(that one really got me )iPad ,tablets .
Come on lose the sense of entitlement.
To my knowledge refugees have never had as much financial help when they immigrate as the do today.
Many organizations come together to help support new families adjust and continue helping.
Asking me to buy refugees items which working Canadian families have to save for I find infuriating .
My tax dollars go to help support refugees every month if you want an iPhone for your wife get a job start saving.

#2 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:33 AM

A lot of people have old iphones and old ipads sitting around the house that they don't even use.  It's not that big a deal.

Actually I have an ipad that's missing in my house.  Took it away from one of my kids and hid it somewhere.  Now the battery has obviously died so I can't even ping it to find it.  Don't know where I hid it but it must be somewhere epic.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:46 AM

^ how big is your house?
  • Jill likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:50 AM

^ how big is your house?

I don't know like 2,900sq ft but there are a ton of places to hide things.  I've checked all the obvious spots but yeah I have no clue where that thing is.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#5 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:03 AM

I don't know like 2,900sq ft but there are a ton of places to hide things.  I've checked all the obvious spots but yeah I have no clue where that thing is.

Kids found it a long time ago, and you just don't know. Check under their mattress...

• sebberry, nagel, Love the rock and 1 other like this

#6 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:23 AM

I lost a block of hash that way.
  • sebberry, Matt R. and lanforod like this

#7 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

A lot of people have old iphones and old ipads sitting around the house that they don't even use.  It's not that big a deal.

Actually I have an ipad that's missing in my house.  Took it away from one of my kids and hid it somewhere.  Now the battery has obviously died so I can't even ping it to find it.  Don't know where I hid it but it must be somewhere epic.

I hope that they are thing along your lines too and not a new one .
What I understood possibly misunderstood was London Drugs was taking cash to buy these items .

#8 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:29 PM

I heard some of these "poor" refugees even have electric refrigerators!!

• jonny likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#9 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

I heard some of these "poor" refugees even have electric refrigerators!!

Now that's just crazy talk Nancy

#10 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:13 AM

Back in the good old days all refugees got wind up refrigerators at best!

#11 theboss

theboss
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:11 AM

I remember when my grandmother came over from Great Britain as the Germans destroyed her home and country. 

Canada paid for her flight over here, put her up in a 3.5 star hotel for over a year, her health care and education was paid for by the tax payers and she was given welfare by the state. 

#12 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:31 PM

Once they get iPads they can set up a "Go Fund Me" page and then they'll be self-sufficient (sort of). Need your cat spayed, your brake pads replaced, send your kid to theatre-camp? Just crowd source. It's totally acceptable, now. "E-begging....it's not just for the needy anymore!"

• VicHockeyFan, LJ and Love the rock like this

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:50 PM

I remember when my grandmother came over from Great Britain as the Germans destroyed her home and country. 

Canada paid for her flight over here, put her up in a 3.5 star hotel for over a year, her health care and education was paid for by the tax payers and she was given welfare by the state. 

But did she or did she not get a free wind-up fridge after all that?

• Love the rock likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

I remember when my grandmother came over from Great Britain as the Germans destroyed her home and country. paid for by the tax payers and she was given welfare by the state. 

The Germans did not inflict all that much physical damage to the UK.  Pretty light, really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users