sold proposed development ALR

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 pikabu

pikabu
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:18 AM

former Royal Oak Golf Course

We were checking out 'open houses' in this area recently. A realtor told us that the golf course properties have now been sold.

Can anyone confirm this? My understanding is that part of this is zoned for condos/townhouses, but the majority of the land is ALR zoned.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:28 AM

That's a bit of a mystery, actually. We've only heard rumours.

Glen Meadows up in North Saanich, however, has sold (or rather the sale will close in September).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:19 AM

The entire Western portion of the golf course (approx 80% of the course) is definitely in the ALR.

The entire clubhouse and surround is also in the ALR.

The sliver of golf course (3 holes) that currently exists between the two rows of condos is outside of the ALR, and is presumably the portion that is zoned for development.

The single green/hole to the East of the clubhouse appears to also be outside of the ALR.

It would sure be a drag to have purchased one of the 30 or so condos that back onto the part of the golf course that's not in the ALR thinking that your back-yard was going to forever be the golf course ... only to discover your back yard is now a huge new condo development, one pushed right up against your back door.

Edited by Cassidy, 31 July 2017 - 09:22 AM.

#4 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

That's a bit of a mystery, actually. We've only heard rumours.

Glen Meadows up in North Saanich, however, has sold (or rather the sale will close in September).

Will it remain as a golf course or do the new owners have other plans ?

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:59 PM

I'll try to get more info later this week. I have a meeting with folks from the brokerage.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:03 PM

The entire Western portion of the golf course (approx 80% of the course) is definitely in the ALR.
The entire clubhouse and surround is also in the ALR.

The sliver of golf course (3 holes) that currently exists between the two rows of condos is outside of the ALR, and is presumably the portion that is zoned for development.
The single green/hole to the East of the clubhouse appears to also be outside of the ALR.

It would sure be a drag to have purchased one of the 30 or so condos that back onto the part of the golf course that's not in the ALR thinking that your back-yard was going to forever be the golf course ... only to discover your back yard is now a huge new condo development, one pushed right up against your back door.

I'd be calling a special meeting of the condos. See if they can buy the land.
  • pikabu likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:57 PM

Will it remain as a golf course or do the new owners have other plans ?

Winery, farm, maybe reopen the golf course ... there's not much choice.

Some of the other possibilities would probably rile some feathers - like sawmill or compost facility.

http://www.alc.gov.b...uses-in-the-alr

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:01 PM

What about a feather riling centre? Would that be allowed?
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:17 PM

What about a feather riling centre...

I imagine that would be pretty popular in Victoria.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:25 PM

What about a race track?

Know it all.

#11 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:43 AM

I hope it reopens as a golf course. Remarket it. We don't have any good executive 9 hole courses here (Ardmore qualifies, I guess, but it's a bit of a drive from the core).

Edited by lanforod, 01 August 2017 - 07:45 AM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#12 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:30 AM

I hope it reopens as a golf course. Remarket it. We don't have any good executive 9 hole courses here (Ardmore qualifies, I guess, but it's a bit of a drive from the core).

I was never a fan of the Royal Oak crse. Homes to close. I bounced a few off of some roofs.

The Ridge a Cordova Bay is a far better par 3.
  • jonny likes this

#13 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:09 AM

Royal Oak was not a Par 3 course though. It's an executive length 9 hole course where you should be able to use any club including driver. Ridge is a basic pitch n putt course, nothing really required beyond a putter and pitching wedge, perhaps a longer iron if you're a shorter hitter.

Yes, there are a few home too close, though not many. Arbutus Ridge is worse for that. Even Cedar Hill has some homes easily within hitting distance if you slice or hook.

Edited by lanforod, 02 August 2017 - 07:11 AM.

• Wayne likes this

#14 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

Our house got hit by a golf ball last week, broke one of the kitchen windows and the shards of glass ripped through an awning below.

That was a very expensive golf ball.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#15 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:53 PM

Our house got hit by a golf ball last week, broke one of the kitchen windows and the shards of glass ripped through an awning below.

Which course are you by?

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

I think LJ is up on BM. And no, that wasn't me.

Know it all.

#17 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:55 AM

Who pays for that damage?

I've heard many conflicting things.

#18 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:10 AM

^ I imagine it would depend on the golf course. I would be very surprised if BM didn't have an indemnity covenant on every property they have developed.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

In the end the person that fired it is responsible. Now, how easy to collect is a different story.

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:26 AM

I can clear up the confusion: Mike's playing partner pays, every time. You've never golfed with him before? Let's just say his wallet always misses the scheduled tee time. "But aastra, I left it at home because the pockets on these slim-fit golf shorts are so narrow!" Yadda yadda yadda...

To LJ's credit, he always manages to keep his cool when it happens.

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users