Photo

Victoria West Neighbourhood Plan

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:16 AM

The Victoria West community is creating a new Neighbourhood Plan to shape a vibrant community for the future.

Your input will inform a new neighbourhood plan that will guide growth and future projects in the area.

http://www.victoria...._8_21_Small.pdf

http://www.victoria....st Brochure.pdf

• Matt R. likes this

#2 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:33 AM

The Victoria West community is creating a new Neighbourhood Plan to shape a vibrant community for the future.

New Victoria West draft plan sees new urban village, densification, and public food production

A third village is being proposed at Catherine/Edward Streets

The City of Victoria is seeking feedback on the new draft of the Victoria West Neighbourhood Plan – which includes a new urban village, densification, and community gardens – to focus development and planning for the next 25 years.

Changes to urban villages – upgrading existing ones, and creating a new one at Catherine and Edward streets – form a significant part of the plan. Increasing available housing stock and businesses, legal suites in existing homes, and improvements to bike and pedestrian trails, and parks are proposed. The plan also calls for increased access to neighbourhood food, including adding edible landscaping at public greens along Catherine and Wilson streets, community orchards at Hereward and Triangle Parks, and requiring new community gardens at Tyee Co-op, Pioneer Co-op and Bayview Lands….

…Changes are also proposed for the existing Craigflower and Westside Villages.

The draft plan would see densification focused around these areas. Three- or four-storey apartment buildings along Craigflower Road and Skinner Street, heritage house conversions, townhomes, and “houseplexes” are some options. For Westside Village, the plan would allow buildings up to six-storeys for housing and business with street-facing shopfronts….

http://www.vicnews.c...ood-production/

#3 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:26 AM

Darn, I meant to go to the meeting. Sounds like a good plan for the most part. I did want to ask why 3 to 4 stories and not 6. I think the 4 story apartment building is a result of building codes limiting wood framed building to 4 floors. Now that it has changed to 6, our design guideline should too.

Edited by Mattjvd, 19 September 2017 - 07:26 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:42 AM

...The plan also calls for increased access to neighbourhood food, including adding edible landscaping at public greens along Catherine and Wilson streets ...

This aught to make the deer happy.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:58 AM

Why not just let villages spring up where they may, by allowing it in zoning.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:54 AM

the idea for wilson in the block between bay & tyee sounds like a great idea. sounds like the inspiration might have been (what else?) exhibition rd

1280px-Exhibition_Road_South_Kensington.

developing the alston corridor from the trestle to roundhouse sounds good too. i didn't really see anything about alston green. if they want to develop that bay/wilson intersection i think that would need something. what about a big sculpture like this?

1280px-Traffic_Light_Tree_Canary_Wharf.j

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users