MLS soccer - Whitecaps/Sounders/Toronto FC

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:38 PM

So TO leads the east and Vancouver leads the west.  Vancouver really coming on here.  Just a few games left until the playoffs.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 30 September 2017 - 09:39 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:19 AM

It's Vancouver's turn to win. Seattle won their first title last year, and Portland won their first title in 2015. A Vancouver/Toronto match up would guarantee a win by a Canadian team, bringing the cup north for the first time!

• VicHockeyFan, jonny and Danma like this

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:33 AM

It's Vancouver's turn to win. Seattle won their first title last year, and Portland won their first title in 2015. A Vancouver/Toronto match up would guarantee a win by a Canadian team, bringing the cup north for the first time!

3 games left before the playoffs.  Vancouver has clinched.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 06 October 2017 - 10:33 AM.

• Danma likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

3 games left before the playoffs.  Vancouver has clinched.

A Vancouver team clinching number one spot in the conference means nothing when it comes to playoffs  ;)

#5 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:36 AM

When the Caps have made it to the playoffs in previous years, they've usually been so beaten up that they didn't have the gas to really give it their all in the postseason. This particular team seems to be firing on all cylinders so I'm quite hopeful they can make it though. Fingers crossed!

• VicHockeyFan and Jackerbie like this

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

Well they got thrashed today by the Red Bulls.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:20 PM

TO FC beat Montreal today.  1 point from the all-time season points record in MLS.

#8 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:06 AM

A Vancouver team clinching number one spot in the conference means nothing when it comes to playoffs  ;)

Um, nope not exactly. Clinching number one or two spots in the conference means you get a by in the first round. 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#9 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:38 AM

Um, nope not exactly. Clinching number one or two spots in the conference means you get a by in the first round. 

I need NP's sarcasm font! I was alluding to the various post-season disasters the Canucks have subjected us to :)

• tedward likes this

#10 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

^ Oh, for sure. Cup runs are a chance to fail spectacularly. 

But if anyone is interested the game on Sunday will be on at the Yates St Taphouse kicking off @1:00pm and actually means something.

From another discussion board:

Whitecaps FC will finish first in the Western Conference with a:

Win or draw vs. Portland

Whitecaps FC will finish second in the Western Conference with a:

Loss to Portland AND
Seattle loss or draw vs. Colorado

Whitecaps FC will finish third in the Western Conference with a:

Loss to Portland AND:
Seattle win vs. Colorado

Should the ‘Caps finish first or second, they would host the second leg of the Western Conference Semifinals on November 5 at BC Place. Should they finish third, they would host a Knockout Round match on either October 25 or October 26

• Prom2 likes this

#11 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:16 AM

Caps have finished third, and will be hosting the knockout versus San Jose Earthquakes on October 25, 7:30pm

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:17 AM

Caps have finished third, and will be hosting the knockout versus San Jose Earthquakes on October 25, 7:30pm

Same night as Depeche Mode at Rogers!

#13 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:10 AM

Come on down to the Yates St Taphouse and watch. :)

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:10 AM

First ever playoff win for the Whitecaps last night, 5-0.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...4372286?cmp=rss

#15 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:53 AM

Next up, defending champs Seattle. Home on Sunday, and away on Thursday.

#16 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:31 AM

Unfortunately, the 5:30pm start makes getting back to Victoria quite difficult.

I'll either have to leave the game early to take public transit to the 9pm ferry, or drive on :(

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:22 PM

Here we go, Whitecaps!

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:42 PM

0-0.

Well, if we tie or win in Seattle on Thursday we win the round, since away goals are more important in the tie break.

Oh, unless it's 0-0.  Then maybe OT or shootout?

EDIT:  30 minutes of extra time (not sudden death) then penalty shots.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 29 October 2017 - 06:48 PM.

#19 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:06 AM

0-0.

Well, if we tie or win in Seattle on Thursday we win the round, since away goals are more important in the tie break.

Oh, unless it's 0-0.  Then maybe OT or shootout?

EDIT:  30 minutes of extra time (not sudden death) then penalty shots.

Hopefully it's not another 0-0 game. I have been to much more exciting Whitecaps games than the one played last night... Great atmosphere, but very few stand-out plays or moments. These two teams are very evenly matched it seems.

• VicHockeyFan and tedward like this

#20 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:32 AM

2-0 Sounders, the Caps' playoff run is over. Game was much more exciting, but for the wrong reasons - lots of shots on goal by Seattle, and lots of penalties to Vancouver!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users