Chicago!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:51 AM

Coming for 8 performances in December.  And it looks like there are plenty of tickets still available.  $112 and up.

• todd likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:12 PM

Tickets actually sold pretty well.  No shows sold out yet, but a few have under 100 tickets left.

Thanks, Langford!

There will be plenty of razzle dazzle at the Royal Theatre this holiday season as the Broadway hit Chicago comes to town later this month.

Whether residents have seen it in New York first-hand or watched the movie adaption featuring Richard Gere, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renee Zellweger, they’ll be able to experience all their favourite toe-tapping tunes live for the first time in Victoria.

“This is the biggest show that’s ever come to the Capital Region,” said Langford Mayor Stew Young, who had a hand in bringing the musical to Greater Victoria. “It’s good for the region, people are coming from all over to see the show. It’s a big event for the area.”

http://www.goldstrea...irst-time-ever/

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 December 2017 - 08:13 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 10:00 PM

Talk about resurrecting an old thread; tonight I was playing with the new Samsung flat screen and getting used to scrolling the various menus and non mainstream TV "App" options, including YouTube.

Loaded and plumbed the depths of the latter and searched out one of my fav old bands back in the day, Chicago, and one of their classic tunes live from a concert in 1970, namely "25 or 6 to 4" featuring the incomparable late, great Terry Kath on lead guitar. This boys and girls is how a guitar is supposed to be played. Watch him really go to town at about the 3:00 minute mark.

Not sure what blows me away more, the ridiculous level of musicianship inherent in this band or the fact this is almost 50 years ago:

https://www.youtube....h?v=7uAUoz7jimg

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 07:04 AM

I think I have caught Chicago performing twice in Victoria. Once at Central Station and once at the arena. Great band. ( my reference to the word “think” here) https://vibrantvicto...ctoria/?p=99164

David Foster was connected with these guys hence the local gigs.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#5 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 09:45 AM

Caught them live in Vancouver in the mid-70's when the 'classic' Chicago lineup was still intact, before Kath tragically killed himself by accident playing with what turned out to be a loaded pistol. They were amaaaaazing......

#6 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 10:09 AM

Talk about resurrecting an old thread; tonight I was playing with the new Samsung flat screen and getting used to scrolling the various menus and non mainstream TV "App" options, including YouTube.

Loaded and plumbed the depths of the latter and searched out one of my fav old bands back in the day, Chicago, and one of their classic tunes live from a concert in 1970, namely "25 or 6 to 4" featuring the incomparable late, great Terry Kath on lead guitar. This boys and girls is how a guitar is supposed to be played. Watch him really go to town at about the 3:00 minute mark.

Not sure what blows me away more, the ridiculous level of musicianship inherent in this band or the fact this is almost 50 years ago:

https://www.youtube....h?v=7uAUoz7jimg

Caught them live in Vancouver in the mid-70's when the 'classic' Chicago lineup was still intact, before Kath tragically killed himself by accident playing with what turned out to be a loaded pistol. They were amaaaaazing......

Jimi Hendrix apparently once told one of the Chicago horn players "your guitar player is better than me." 

I was a big fan of his vocals as well, check out any live performance of "Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon" on youtube.

#7 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 10:32 AM

I know these lists are purely subjective but how Kath doesn't make the Rolling Stone Top 100 Guitarists list is beyond me, especially when you see some of the names that do....

• Mike K. and Greg like this

#8 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:58 AM

Kath was literally a guitar savant.

IMO he was in the top three of all time.

AllSeeingEye's YouTube link above is the best record anywhere of Kath's ability.

In the video, while screwing around with the drums, Kath is simply unable to wait any longer and begins playing - literally forcing the band to start one of the greatest live recordings ever made.

Kath's demise is one of the saddest stories in rock'n'roll.

• AllseeingEye and Greg like this

#9 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 10:31 AM

Most people in their younger years especially have one of those "I remember where I was when....." moments with regard to their musical hero's and gods and their unexpected passing. For some that would be Elvis of course or John Lennon. For me it was Kath, whose licks I'd hammered down on my parents' stereo for years. Feelin Stronger Every Day and 25 or 6 to 4 were rites of passage for teenage boys especially in the 70's....

When he tragically killed himself in 1978 I was with my best friend at the time driving to the then-new(ish) Mt Washington for weekend ski outing. We were 17 and had just hit an icy patch of the old island highway (remember this was years before the Inland route was even conceived never mind built) near Union Bay. Of course we had the tunes on way too loud on our favorite Seattle FM station when they just killed the song in mid stride, and the DJ made a special announcement regarding Kath's death. I came "this" close to driving off the highway and into the drink, I was so shocked at the news.

I do recall though at the day lodge that weekend they played a ton of Chicago tunes in tribute to him. It was a sad time for Chicago and music fans and like many rock icons Kath went way too young, which seems to be their fate for whatever reason.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 15 March 2020 - 10:32 AM.

#10 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 11:09 AM

I guess it was slightly before my time because I never knew about him or his tragic death. My awareness of Chicago began around the blander Peter Cetera era.

It is quite interesting, if you dig back in their history, their very first albums, a lot of famous bands like Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Bee Gees, Lionel Richie you'll find some quirky, uneven albums that have a lot more funk/blues, experimentation and unexpected instrumentation compared to their more famous later work.

I mean, compared to bands like Aerosmith that came right out of the gate with their trademark sound.

Edited by Rob Randall, 15 March 2020 - 11:11 AM.

#11 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 11:34 AM

I guess it was slightly before my time because I never knew about him or his tragic death. My awareness of Chicago began around the blander Peter Cetera era.

It is quite interesting, if you dig back in their history, their very first albums, a lot of famous bands like Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Bee Gees, Lionel Richie you'll find some quirky, uneven albums that have a lot more funk/blues, experimentation and unexpected instrumentation compared to their more famous later work.

I mean, compared to bands like Aerosmith that came right out of the gate with their trademark sound.

Ugh. Hated that era but its interesting to read the back story - Foster on the one hand acknowledging the band's concerns that the new direction was "syrupy" and far removed from their earlier, edgier and jazz-infused sound (Foster deliberately de-emphasized the horn section); but the band also being cognizant that the "80's sound" did bring them back into prominence with more and higher charting tunes.

It was the damned if they do, damned if they don't time-frame - Kath would've hated that period and no doubt left to do his own thing.

As far as the earlier material from other bands really listen to the Peter Green-Danny Kirwan-Jeremy Spencer era of Fleetwood Mac: they produced some marvelous stuff, Kiln House and Bare Trees especially. Pink Floyd released some awesome works around the same time including Ummagumma and Meddle. To this day IMO the best thing PF ever did was Wish You Were Here. I still have all of those LP's on vinyl.

• Greg likes this

#12 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 12:30 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=1t-h7EN6WTM

Here's my favorite Chicago song, and one of my favorite songs of all time - Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon. It's really a suite with different sections, written by James Pankow, the trombonist. This is as far from the syrupy-Foster sound as you can get, especially when Kath is shouting over the chorus.

And if you've never heard Color My World - a really simple song covered by lots of talent-less bands and played at too many high school proms in the 70s - in context, you may not realize how good the song really is.

And the Make Me Smile reprise is just wow.

#13 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 05:09 PM

Worth pointing out that Kath didn't commit suicide, he was somewhat of a careless gun nut who had guns around all the time - and he accidentally shot himself in the head while playing around with a gun he thought was empty.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:43 AM

Fleetwood was a blues band before the girls showed up. Many bands from that era started off with music along those lines, in fact, then became pop-ier to compete for air time.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users