Election Reform / Proportional Representation - BC 2018 Referendum

• Please log in to reply
639 replies to this topic

#1 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

So this seems to have flown under the radar so far. 

https://engage.gov.bc.ca/howwevote/

#2 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:04 PM

So this seems to have flown under the radar so far. 

https://engage.gov.bc.ca/howwevote/

Under the radar is intentional as no government wants it once they are in power, but since this gang are a bit lame ducked, might as well appear to want it, eh!

#3 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

No. 60% of the vote this year was for left wing parties. This could be the death of the liberals in power.

#4 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:12 PM

Not to mention the wide differences in electoral areas could be killed off, something which also greatly benefited the libs.

#5 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:21 PM

Not to mention the wide differences in electoral areas could be killed off, something which also greatly benefited the libs.

can you elaborate on this a bit more?
I don’t understand why anyone outside of Metro Vancouver would support proportional representation. If you think they have too much influence over the rest of us now...
  • jonny likes this

#6 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:41 PM

Yep, that's one of the biggest issues with moving to PR. Everyone outside of the lower mainland will basically have their vote be worthless. 

• jonny likes this

#7 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:43 PM

No. 60% of the vote this year was for left wing parties. This could be the death of the liberals in power.

Remind us all again the outcome of the 2001 election....this Province we vote folks out not in....the only way a government can survive is if they convince the populace that they are doing a good job.  And really most folks vote with their wallet not their ideology.

How much of the Green vote was to protest the Liberals? You think its solid?

• jonny likes this

#8 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:44 PM

Not really a secret that this is the goal.

• rjag and jonny like this

#9 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:12 PM

The green vote will only get more solid with a move to PR.

I don't support tiny constituencies.  I think they should all be roughly the same size, and I believe they're not supposed to deviate more than 15% but there are some that are 3 times the size of the smallest.

#10 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

Are you forgetting that we'll end up with 5-10 political parties?

#11 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:38 PM

Are you forgetting that we'll end up with 5-10 political parties?

I doubt that if we had a 10% cutoff.  Actually after Christy Clark I would be fine with a good run of minority governments.  I had never voted NDP before but she just killed my love for team red.  I'm sure orange will let me down of course.

#12 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:59 PM

The reason I ask, is that my recollection is that most countries that have PR have several parties represented. That makes it hard to predict who the power brokers will be, IMO. 

#13 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:14 PM

The reason I ask, is that my recollection is that most countries that have PR have several parties represented. That makes it hard to predict who the power brokers will be, IMO. 

It's true, usually there are several parties, but in terms of what is there now, I would be very afraid if I was a card carrying liberal voter, because it looks like PR would enshrine a Green-NDP coalition except for 2001-style epic fails.

#14 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:35 PM

It's true, usually there are several parties, but in terms of what is there now, I would be very afraid if I was a card carrying liberal voter, because it looks like PR would enshrine a Green-NDP coalition except for 2001-style epic fails.

First you have to trick people into voting for it. It's failed twice already so I'd say chances don't look good.

#15 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:43 PM

First you have to trick people into voting for it. It's failed twice already so I'd say chances don't look good.

Yup, I have a feeling they are going to change the thresholds to make it even easier to pass. I am hearing 50% +1 of those who bother to vote in the mail in ballot. This is really sneaky as it really should include more 50%+1 of the ridings as well. I'm sure there will be court challenges over this

• lanforod likes this

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:20 AM

Oh it’ll be challenged, alright. Everyone suspects the lowering of the threshold is to ensure it passes for the benefit solely of non-liberal supporters.

But will the Greens enjoy a similar outcome come the next election? I don’t think they will. They were a protest vote by Liberal supporters and that support is unlikely to be there next time.

Now before we forget, even with all of the nonsense surrounding them the Liberals still won the popular vote.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:10 AM

The NDP get in power by the skin of their teeth (losing the election and taking advantage of a naive politician and terrible negotiator in Andrew Weaver) and now the Libs will never win another election. Mmmmkay. Riiiiiight.

#18 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

Yup, I have a feeling they are going to change the thresholds to make it even easier to pass. I am hearing 50% +1 of those who bother to vote in the mail in ballot. This is really sneaky as it really should include more 50%+1 of the ridings as well. I'm sure there will be court challenges over this

Simple. Give voters 4 choices on how a system should operate and the one that gets 50% + 1 will be the option we choose.

#19 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:57 PM

The goal is democracy with one party to vote for. Doesn't matter how it's achieved, they'll stop at nothing.

#20 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:16 PM

The NDP get in power by the skin of their teeth (losing the election and taking advantage of a naive politician and terrible negotiator in Andrew Weaver) and now the Libs will never win another election. Mmmmkay. Riiiiiight.

You may be right, but I think it will be tough for the Libs to climb back out of the hole they dug for themselves until they can position themselves as a party that actually stands for something, rather than a pack of opportunists with no ideals who will literally do or say anything (eg. clone speech) to achieve or cling to power. I think if they could project something even slightly resembling integrity they could have a shot but I think that could take a while.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users