43 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:54 PM

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-12-04-12-50-36-086.png

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-12-04-12-51-50-453.png

I think it's time to build a new city.  And I've found the spot.

The great thing is, we build this thing from scratch, in phases.  So all or most of our growth can go there, and that takes development pressure off all the munis.  

So it'll be named Prospect Lake.  And of course the centrepiece is the lake and the hundreds of acres of park around it we'll create.

All along the western flank of Gowlland Tod will be 15-floor buildings.  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 December 2017 - 01:12 PM.

• LeoVictoria likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:01 PM

Blue is the high-rise zone.  Green is the massive central park.  Some homeowners are very lucky, they already live in it!

screenshot-vibrantvictoria.ca-2017-12-04-12-57-56-002.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 December 2017 - 01:02 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:07 PM

Now, just for scale you can see how big Propect Lake is.

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-12-04-13-04-05-638.png

See, we are not short of land around here, we are short of political will.  I'm changing all that.

So Prospect Lake, BC will have a population of about 200,000 to 250,000 at full build-out.   It will take its rightful place as the Island's newest, greenest, coolest, largest, most influential city.  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 December 2017 - 01:10 PM.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:12 PM

Did you know that if the Empire State Building were built in Victoria at the same distance from the tip of downtown Manhattan to its Mid-Town location it would stand where Elk Lake is?

Anyways, carry on...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:17 PM

The great thing about Prospect Lake is that is has pretty good access to both the Pat Bay Highway and the TCH.

However, we do expect to build our own airport.   It'll be "YVR shuttle-only".  In short, all it has is direct flights to Vancouver, leaving every 30 minutes from 5am to 12 midnight daily.   

We have Central Park, we have Gowlland Tod to the west, we have the wonderful Thetis Lake Park to our south, and we nearly touch Elk/Beaver on the east.

We will have our own hospital. 

Our retail centre is going to be in the style of a "main street".  It's going to be amazing. 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 December 2017 - 01:23 PM.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:29 PM

Specifically, this is where our 15-floor buildings go, on this 300m elevation ridge.  Nearly 40,000 people will live in these buildings alone.

screenshot-elevationmap.net-2017-12-04-13-27-16-664.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 December 2017 - 01:38 PM.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:02 PM

Perspective on Beacon Hill Park vs. Central Park sizes.  So land area only, Central Park is almost 5x larger than Beacon Hill.

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-12-04-13-59-35-117.png

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-12-04-14-00-20-874.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 December 2017 - 02:03 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:15 PM

I like how it's also home to the dump :D

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:20 PM

Yes, it is home to the dump.  We do our part.  But you might also note we took in Durrance Lake.  We are going to develop that and make it the premier swimming lake in the region.  10x better than Thetis when we are done with it.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 December 2017 - 03:22 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#10 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:21 PM

Let me know when my house is ready.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:55 PM

The last hockey player to build anything near Victoria on a hill ran out of pucks, so just because you have a beat up Canuck jersey doesn't give you the right to start a city in the boonies.

Edited by Bingo, 04 December 2017 - 08:56 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:48 PM

Did you know that if the Empire State Building were built in Victoria at the same distance from the tip of downtown Manhattan to its Mid-Town location it would stand where Elk Lake is?

Dude, get your Google out and measure the distance from the Battery to the Empire State Building.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

D'oh. I meant Swan Lake.

Know it all.

#14 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:13 PM

Obviously tongue-in-cheek but the reality is that this is quite a good solution for a city that's completely trapped between mountains and large bodies of water. In-fill is the new suburbia! 

#15 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:50 PM

Now there's some dude over on the commuter rail thread that wants to run a spur line up to Prospect Lake.

Finally... someone with a vision.

• Matt R. and tedward like this

#16 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:49 AM

Obviously tongue-in-cheek but the reality is that this is quite a good solution for a city that's completely trapped between mountains and large bodies of water. In-fill is the new suburbia!

Which is why the Urban Containment Boundary was such a forward thinking idea. Let's face it folks, there is going to be a housing crisis in Greater Victoria until the next Big Bang. We need to set a little space aside for some sanity.

I have been biting my fingers ever since VHF came up with this hair brained idea.

Did I mention before that we need to build a wall?

Ok here is your solution....the sooner we set out the No Vacancy sign at the top of the Malahat, the sooner we can get back to being civilized. The kids need a yard to play in while they grow up. Have you seen some of those mini yards in West Hills? Is that some body's idea of progress?

That didn't sound very inclusive.....did it?

OK....let me have it.
  • Bingo likes this

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:52 AM

Kids grow up fine in Manhattan. I grew up in Gordon Head with a decent sized front and back yard. But once the training wheels were off (ok we never had them) we were off to the local parks and play lots.

But I agree Sparky, unless we have a serious economic downturn then our housing crisis will be with us for a long time.

#18 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:21 AM

Which is why the Urban Containment Boundary was such a forward thinking idea. Let's face it folks, there is going to be a housing crisis in Greater Victoria until the next Big Bang. We need to set a little space aside for some sanity.

I have been biting my fingers ever since VHF came up with this hair brained idea.

Did I mention before that we need to build a wall?

Ok here is your solution....the sooner we set out the No Vacancy sign at the top of the Malahat, the sooner we can get back to being civilized. The kids need a yard to play in while they grow up. Have you seen some of those mini yards in West Hills? Is that some body's idea of progress?

That didn't sound very inclusive.....did it?

OK....let me have it.

Thanks Sparky. You are one of the more realistic voices on the forum. We need to think more about the grand children and less about the expanding universe.  :thumbsup:

• Sparky likes this

#19 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:23 PM

Here is a really cheap idea, with unemployment at 3.3% how about they all get jobs so they can afford to pay rent, groceries, etc!  If you can't find a job in this economy something is horribly wrong

• Wayne likes this

#20 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:12 PM

Here is a really cheap idea, with unemployment at 3.3% how about they all get jobs so they can afford to pay rent, groceries, etc!  If you can't find a job in this economy something is horribly wrong

Oh boy!

1. If you're living on the street with no permanent address and no access to a shower, clean clothes, or a computer, it can be pretty hard to convince someone to hire you.
  2. Not every available job pays enough to cover rent and groceries, and the jobs that do pay enough generally require some sort of education or specialized skill.
  3. Many people who are homeless or living in sub-standard conditions are dealing with severe mental health issues or addictions, and that can make it hard to get and keep a job.
  4. At the current vacancy rate, there aren't enough rentals available even for those who do have income.

• CrazyEvilCat likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users