Gulf Island passenger-only ferry

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

I'm not so sure that we need to subsidize GI passenger ferries.  We already subsidize them to walk on to the BCFs.

I mean the service seems like a wonderful idea, but let's just let the private operators figure it out.

Passenger-only ferry plan proposed for Gulf Islands and Sidney

The CRD is looking into a plan that would bring a new ferry service to the Southern Gulf Islands, Salt Spring Island and the Town of Sidney

Do the Gulf Islands need passenger-only ferry service? That’s a question being posed by the Capital Regional District, which is now requesting proposals for a business case study that could be used for a pilot project.

The study is being commissioned by the CRD as a transportation initiative that would include the Southern Gulf Islands (North and South Pender, Mayne, Saturna, and Galiano), Salt Spring Island and the Town of Sidney. An early plan calls for five routes between the islands to provide a low-emission alternative transportation option for residents and tourists.

Sidney to Port Browning (Vancouver Island, Pender Island)
Lyall Bay, Hope Bay, Horton Bay (Saturna, Pender, Mayne)
Montague Harbour, Miners Bay, Ganges Harbour (Galiano, Mayne, Salt Spring)
Mill Bay to Patricia Bay (Vancouver Island)
Ganges Harbour to Sidney (Salt Spring, Vancouver Island)

Wayne McIntyre, CRD director for Salt Spring Island Electoral Area, said that the Tour des Iles (a summer event where tourists travel between islands on small vessels) has been highly successful, and there were requests to run a similar service for more than just one week out of the year.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 January 2018 - 08:16 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:27 AM

Yesterday I caught a ferry from Mayne which stopped at Saturna and then Pender before heading off to Swartz Bay. This was the 4PM sailing out of Mayne.

Anyways, on Mayne one pedestrian exited the boat and one got on. On Saturna a couple more got on, and then a couple more on Pender. Once we stopped at Swartz Bay there were less than 10 individuals who walked off that ferry (you can see the pedestrians as they leave before the vehicles can). There were about 35 cars that exited at Swartz Bay.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

In terms of subsidies, the Southern Gulf Islands are fully in the CRD, and as such would rightly expect to enjoy the same consideration as any other area of the CRD that might get some sort of subsidized service.

Although I'd not say the CRD has a history of particularly ignoring the Gulf Islands, I would say that the level of CRD support the Gulf Islands enjoy is nowhere near the level enjoyed by residents of the core municipalities.

It's probably time a little attention was paid to the needs of CRD residents of the Gulf Islands, or at least a little more attention than is currently being given.

B.C. Ferries isn't part of the CRD, and B.C. Ferries couldn't really care any less than they do about the needs of foot passengers on their Southern Gulf Island routes. Foot passengers have always been an afterthought for B.C. Ferries, if they've even been a thought at all in the Southern Gulf Islands.

It's worth noting that, despite living entirely in the CRD, there are some 100+ school children who are 100% dependent on private water taxis to get to and from school each day in the Southern Gulf Islands. 

It's time for the CRD to show the Southern Gulf Islands a bit more love than they currently show them.

Edited by Cassidy, 07 January 2018 - 09:48 AM.

#4 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

I'm not so sure that we need to subsidize GI passenger ferries.  We already subsidize them to walk on to the BCFs.

I mean the service seems like a wonderful idea, but let's just let the private operators figure it out.

The question would be if this passenger ferry service goes ahead will we see a corresponding cut in BC Ferries sailings?  If we cut those sailings in half and replaced them with passenger only sailings then I am fine with it

I would be fine with one or two BC Ferries sailing that goes thru the islands and grabs everyone with cars to drop off at Swartz Bay around 7am and then a reverse sailing in the evening.  Passenger only service between those times

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

I think that a Sidney to Ganges would do okay if timed right. Particularly after the rest of the shops are put in at Pat Bay. The rest could likely wait till that route is proven. The issue with BCFerries is that they don't necessarily land at the best spot for a foot passenger.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

I think that a Sidney to Ganges would do okay if timed right. Particularly after the rest of the shops are put in at Pat Bay. The rest could likely wait till that route is proven. The issue with BCFerries is that they don't necessarily land at the best spot for a foot passenger.

That's exactly right.  If things worked out in a perfect world, Fulford would be the business/commerce hub of Salt Spring.

Of course, the most efficient passenger ferry would be here in green.

screenshot-www.google.ca-2018-01-07-10-28-25-881.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 January 2018 - 10:29 AM.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:40 AM

Not disagreeing with that, but there could be a shuttle to the shops at Pat Bay.  I believe there is a free shuttle at Tsawassen to the new malls?  Is there also not an express transit bus from Swartz Bay to downtown?

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

That's exactly right. If things worked out in a perfect world, Fulford would be the business/commerce hub of Salt Spring.

Of course, the most efficient passenger ferry would be here in green.

screenshot-www.google.ca-2018-01-07-10-28-25-881.png

The green is where they should put the bridge then you only need passenger ferries.
  • Bingo and thundergun like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:30 AM

The green is where they should put the bridge then you only need passenger ferries.

That would work except for the armed militia on SSI that would shoot everyone who came over the bridge, or more likely blow it up every time this fixed link got near to completion. 

• Matt R. likes this

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:35 AM

^ if they are concerned about being overrun simply set the toll as required.

#11 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

There is adequate public transit at all three ferry terminals already on salt spring, timed around the ferry schedule. This crd money, on salt spring anyways, would be better spent expanding the bus service to meet demands and perhaps add one year round route out towards beaver point and ruckle park.

This is a solution looking for a problem, from my selfish, vested point of view.

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan, Bingo and jonny like this

#12 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:30 AM

“I’m thrilled, it’s been a long time coming, but it’s time,” said Louise, noting she has been working on establishing a year-round taxi service between the Gulf Islands and Sidney since she stepped into her role 23 years ago.

She said it has taken this long to get to the point they can launch the pilot project in September because the service needed improved infrastructure on the islands and a financial subsidy to cover fuel and labour costs.

“It needs to be subsidized because we don’t want to charge a lot for this,” she said, noting the highest fares on AquaLink are $20. “That’s nowhere near what it costs to run the boat.”

AquaLink’s pilot project is being funded by the Southern Gulf Islands Tourism Partnership, which is funded in part by the CRD.

https://www.timescol...stop-1.24348139

i'm of slightly mixed minds on this.  on one hand i think a passenger ferry to the islands is great.  but i'm concerned where the subsidy is coming from.  why are CRD taxpayers at large subsidizing people to go shop or recreate or vacation on the islands?   shouldn't that subsidy come from islanders themselves, if they so choose to provide one?

the only reason that subsidy is required is to compete with the subsidized BCF routes.  and that's dubious too.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 August 2021 - 05:35 AM.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:34 AM

Yeah, this is not the right funding model. We can’t keep subsidizing the Islands to the extent we do, and quite frankly the CRD should not have jurisdiction over the SGIs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users