#nomercy

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,237 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:23 AM

#nomercy campaign is about a clean slate no matter which side of centre you lean. Just don’t vote for any incumbents. We need to hold our politicians accountable and too many have been in there for too long and there seems to be no accountability. We can’t overspend on major projects that derail without consequences. We can’t ignore major issues with our downtown anymore.
  • Nparker, rjag, GaryRanson and 3 others like this

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:27 AM

Despite the anarchistic overtones this campaign suggests, I can't really fault people for feeling like the current system and incumbents have failed the electorate. That being said, one only needs to look south of our border to see the disaster of the "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" approach in the name of draining the swamp.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

Disaster?

Have you not seen how America's economy is doing, what has happened to their unemployment rate, the number of companies that have issued bonuses to their workers, the number of companies expanding within the country in lieu of foreign countries, and the tax cuts that even the party's opponents admit will be a good thing for the average American?

The only disaster south of the border is the media's insane portrayal of one of the most bullish eras in recent American history.

• spanky123 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

Disaster?

Have you not seen how America's economy is doing, what has happened to their unemployment rate, the number of companies that have issued bonuses to their workers, the number of companies expanding within the country in lieu of foreign countries, and the tax cuts that even the party's opponents admit will be a good thing for the average American?

The only disaster south of the border is the media's insane portrayal of one of the most bullish eras in recent American history.

Not to derail this thread, but the majority of those economic factors were underway prior to the current US administration. Please let's not turn this into another battleground thread.

• shoeflack likes this

#5 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:46 AM

Not to derail this thread, but the majority of those economic factors were underway prior to the current US administration. Please let's not turn this into another battleground thread.

Wrong. Every poltical pundit during trumps campaign said the kind of growth he promised was total fantasy and would never happen. Now that hes done it they say it was all obama. Yeah right. Its called deregulation, lowet taxes, getting coal back etc etc
  • VicHockeyFan and qwerty like this

#6 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:51 AM

Obama: "what kind of magic wand do you have to bring those jobs back?"

Classic.
  • qwerty likes this

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:55 AM

Well, you started it.

The American economy is roaring thanks to the current administration. You really have to stop listening to pundits and news sources who’ve made it their mission to make you believe what you are seeing for yourself is false and their narrative is truth.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

Oh look, it's the latest VV uber-right wing thread. Hold on, let me get my popcorn.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Coreyburger and 11 others like this

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:01 AM

Oh look, it's the latest VV uber-right wing thread. Hold on, let me get my popcorn.

:muching_out:    :muching_out:    :muching_out:

• rjag and sdwright.vic like this

#10 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:08 AM

You think tossing incumbents will get rid of incompetence. But look at the loser list from past elections and see who occupies those lower slots. You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel with some of those names. I'm not talking mere ideology, I'm talking about people with a very tenuous grip on reality itself. 

• VicHockeyFan, Coreyburger, Matt R. and 4 others like this

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

Let’s be honest here. Are we to believe that a 100% clean slate will, in fact, be good for our city?

What we need is to remind politicians that we’ve had enough of their “forward thinking” ideology which fails to take into consideration a difference of opinion. No one way is the right way, ever, but the current administration simply refuses to openly debate issues on their real world merits and to stop hoping that they’ll pan out as expected.

Gosh golly I miss the days of politicians defending their ideas before us instead of us being told what’s in our best interest.

Now let’s look at accomplishments. What has been accomplished this term that was a priority in the last term?

Nothing. No fire hall, the rec centre idea is still all talk and grandiose renderings, the bridge remains as controversial as ever.

Affordable housing. What affordable housing? Housing costs have skyrocketed.

The sense of safety in downtown has been severely eroded.

Police are stretched to the extreme.

Our festivals are struggling, some annual events have been canned.

The DVBA has lost its leader.

Homelessness and street issues are perhaps worse today than they have ever been.

And the construction we see today is a direct result of the 2011 official community plan and market conditions that made rental housing possible. The city had nothing to do with that coming about, but luckily they did agree to give rental projects precedence.
  • Bingo and Midnightly like this

Know it all.

#12 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,237 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:58 AM

ummmm. I am far from right wing. I am pro bike lane, pro development, pro parkade downtown, pro pedestrian only zones, pro driving, pro harm reduction, pro no panhandling, pro safe injection site, pro death penalty for improper disposal of needles and public defecation, pro affordable housing, pro free market, an environmentalist, and a bacon lover. What does that make me? 

There would be little consequence from a wholesale redux of council. Day to day is handled by staff anyway. Far from anarchy. A little pause and review on what were are doing can be a good thing. 

• rjag, sebberry, jonny and 1 other like this

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:06 AM

You bring up a very good point, dasmo.

What if the agenda we're seeing has staff written all over it? What if that's actually the case?

Helps did say it was staff who pitched the tent city idea, not her. Helps also said staff were a driving force behind the bike lanes.

Know it all.

#14 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:09 AM

I'm not sure we need a clean slate. Upgrading on Helps with two or three fresh, reasonable, non-extremist councilors would be great (i.e. I don't want to elect any more Marxists or an old curmudgeon who thinks Victoria should be stuck in the 50's).

I think if we could replace Helps with somebody capable and reasonable, we'd be on the right track. To start with, I want:

- Somebody who is pro development. Pro change. 

- Somebody with a vision for moving the region forward economically. 

- Somebody with experience in the real world. Somebody who has held down a job, or even managed a budget, would maybe be a good place to start. 

- Somebody who sees much of the pandering to drug and homeless activists for what it really is. 

- Somebody who understands that government funds are not unlimited and that taxpayers cannot stomach annual 5% tax increases.

Edited by jonny, 11 January 2018 - 11:12 AM.

• Nparker, grantpalin and Midnightly like this

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:12 AM

All the things you cite would instantly be labelled right wing and therefore discounted.

What we need is someone like Christ Le Fevre running this city. Could you imagine?

Know it all.

#16 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

ummmm. I am far from right wing. I am pro bike lane, pro development, pro parkade downtown, pro pedestrian only zones, pro driving, pro harm reduction, pro no panhandling, pro safe injection site, pro death penalty for improper disposal of needles and public defecation, pro affordable housing, pro free market, an environmentalist, and a bacon lover. What does that make me? 

That comment was a reference to the sudden hijacking of your thread for American political discussion. Not a reference to you.

• Nparker likes this

#17 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

An excellent candidate for the next mayor of Victoria.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:52 AM

Yeah, dasmo, why don't you consider running?

And say, where'd Awaiting Juno go? She hasn't been around since Xmas.

• Nparker and shoeflack like this

Know it all.

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:54 AM

...where'd Awaiting Juno go? She hasn't been around since Xmas.

Hopefully, she's preparing her CoV mayoral campaign.

• shoeflack likes this

#20 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,237 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:33 PM

The thing with #nomercy is it bridges political leanings. This is the key. Right and left can come together. If you start to pick and choose it all falls apart and we get the same crew with one new face and Ben as the mayor. It needs to be no incumbents on the ballot even if it means a goofball or two....
  • rjag likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users