2018 Oak Bay Municipal Election

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:53 PM

https://www.oakbayne.../murdoch-to-run Councillor Kevin Murdoch will challenge incumbent mayor Nils Jensen in 2018. Jensen has already overcome conservative-orientated challengers from council in both the 2011 and 2014 mayoral elections. Can he do it again?

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:08 PM

Not with Murdoch's platform of "we need to fix our infrastructure deficit" which equals higher density to increase the tax base, a cut in services, and/or an increase in taxes.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:27 AM

Jensen's main criticism from the public seems to be that he's to pro-high density.

#4 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,975 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:36 AM

Not with Murdoch's platform of "we need to fix our infrastructure deficit" which equals higher density to increase the tax base, a cut in services, and/or an increase in taxes.

Oak Bay and Victoria have massive infrastructure deficits that the politicians have been ignoring for decades. It is more visible in Oak bay with all of the recent water main failures and flooding so it may finally be time that someone who is willing to take a position on the issue gets elected.

#5 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:33 AM

Sad that Murdoch or Jensen (or both) will be missing next term from the council chambers.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

Maybe it's good in that there is a spot for at least one new councillor.  I think when there is a clear space up for grabs, it might attract the better candidates.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:56 AM

Maybe it's good in that there is a spot for at least one new councillor.  I think when there is a clear space up for grabs, it might attract the better candidates.

Councillor Tom Croft is also not running I'm also sad about that.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#8 Edward Skelton

Edward Skelton
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:29 AM

Julie Sarah announces on Oak Bay Local that she is not running for council

Hi locals! Just a quick note regarding the upcoming municipal election. I’d like to avoid getting into heated debates, but welcome posts for upcoming election events, etc. I‘ve decided to continue working on OBL and communuty events and hold off on running for council. Please ensure all comments remain respectful. Many thanks!!

#9 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:39 PM

^ Welcome to the forum Edward Skelton.

#10 Edward Skelton

Edward Skelton
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

Esther Paterson announced that she's running for council.

https://www.oakbayne...oming-election/

#11 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:49 PM

An Oak Bay Watch candidate
  • Edward Skelton likes this

#12 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:38 PM

sounds like they are against any change anywhere in Oak Bay.

In my best old folks voice:  "Dadnabit, I paid 150K for my house 40 years ago and now that its worth $3 million I don't want any of these poor wipper snappers moving in.  Rich people only in Oak Bay now and forever!" (the latter said like George Wallace famous speech

• Baro and John M. like this

#13 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:46 PM

They give the same treatment to luxury condos with much less units.

#14 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:07 AM

A new group on Facebook for the OB election (Both mayoral candidates are members, along with most of the incumbents on council): https://www.facebook...86680508104269/

#15 Old Esquimalt

Old Esquimalt
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:07 PM

sounds like they are against any change anywhere in Oak Bay.

In my best old folks voice:  "Dadnabit, I paid 150K for my house 40 years ago and now that its worth $3 million I don't want any of these poor wipper snappers moving in.  Rich people only in Oak Bay now and forever!" (the latter said like George Wallace famous speech

The people who paid $80K forty years ago are not the ones who are likely to object to development.  Those who paid many times that much are more likely to object.  They not only have a greater financial stake, they are on average younger and expect to be there longer.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:16 AM

Cairine Green has announced her candidacy for Oak Bay council.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:34 AM

Can tell it is an election year. Went on a community walk on Sunday that only usually attracts gals of a certain age. Both the mayor and one Councillor attended. Mayor of course posted a photo of the event on twitter.

• rjag likes this

#18 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:58 AM

^ yup all of a sudden Jensen is seen in public everywhere....as if he thinks folks cant see through that 

#19 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:59 AM

The people who paid $80K forty years ago are not the ones who are likely to object to development.  Those who paid many times that much are more likely to object.  They not only have a greater financial stake, they are on average younger and expect to be there longer.

Development is bad?

#20 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:52 PM

^ yup all of a sudden Jensen is seen in public everywhere....as if he thinks folks cant see through that 

You with oak bay fire or police? https://www.oakbayne...-in-full-gear/ 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users