UNDER CONSTRUCTION
496-498 Cecelia Road - Burnside School Housing
Uses: rental, civic
Address: 496-498 Cecelia Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
A redevelopment of excess lands at the former Burnside Elementary School campus along Jutland Road will incorp... (view full profile)
Learn more about 496-498 Cecelia Road - Burnside School Housing on Citified.ca
Photo

[Burnside-Gorge] Burnside School Housing | Rentals, daycare and civic space | 5 and 4-storeys

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:58 PM

Pacifica Housing is proposing a redevelopment of Burnside Elementary School on Jutland Road that will presumably encompass both heritage restoration and new construction.

The details so far: 

88 units of affordable family housing

Renovated school building

Childcare Facility and Other Community Amenities.

The community meeting will take place on Monday Feb 26 at 6:30 PM.

The Feb 2018 BGCA newsletter has details as well as a rendering from the OCP:  http://www.burnsideg...2018_E-news.pdf

• Mike K. likes this

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:20 AM

The CoV has now posted about this on their website .

The City of Victoria, Greater Victoria School District #61 and Pacifica Housing Society have signed a memorandum of understanding to bring a new affordable rental housing development to the former Burnside School site. The 88-unit development is geared toward moderate-income families with 2 and 3 bedroom units and will include new childcare spaces and programming space for the neighbourhood. Under the agreement, the City would lease the adjacent land to the north of the Burnside school to Pacifica Housing for a 60-year period at nominal rates initially. The agreement is subject to Pacifica Housing both securing funding and bringing the project through the public consultation and development process. The School District would complete the seismic upgrade of the Burnside building. The historical school will re-open as the Burnside Education Centre and will house the students and staff that are currently located at S.J. Willis...

http://www.victoria....artnership.html

school.JPG

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#3 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:30 AM

what will happen to sj willis then? do they still have a use for it?

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:33 AM

That's a good question. It's a prime redevelopment site.

#5 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:01 PM

TL Housing Solutions, which is involved with Pacifica's two underway projects on the West Shore and its Wilson's Walk project in Vic West, may be involved with this project, too. But it's still early in the process.

Affordable housing planned as part of Burnside School development

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:52 PM

if oak bay lodge had held off a couple years i wonder if they could have used sj, or a part of it

edit: here's an answer

Programs could be moved from the S.J. Willis Education Centre to make room for high schools needing to be relocated during seismic refits in coming years — including Victoria High School, Reynolds Secondary and Lambrick Park Secondary.

Greater Victoria School District has similarly used the former Richmond Elementary to temporarily house a series of elementary- and middle-school students while their own buildings were brought up to seismic standards.

http://www.timescolo...rades-1.2306800

Edited by amor de cosmos, 02 February 2018 - 12:56 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#7 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:52 PM

that's a great idea, lets turn the entire area into a gigantic Blanshard Court with Super 8 and Tally Ho close by  :whyme:

#8 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:10 PM

that's a great idea, lets turn the entire area into a gigantic Blanshard Court with Super 8 and Tally Ho close by  :whyme:

I think Pacifica is a good operator of Affordable Housing, and their projects enhance the neighbourhoods they are located in (one example that immediately comes to mind is their affordable rental on Wilson Road in Vic West).  I think that the redevelopment has the support of the neighbourhood association too.

#9 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:50 PM

I think Pacifica is a good operator of Affordable Housing, and their projects enhance the neighbourhoods they are located in (one example that immediately comes to mind is their affordable rental on Wilson Road in Vic West).  I think that the redevelopment has the support of the neighbourhood association too.

Sounds like the units will be 2 and 3 bedroom so they would be directed to families. As I read the release, the City is providing the land for free (nominal) for 60 years, the Province is revitalizing the adjacent buildings and Pacifica needs to raise the funds to build the units.

#10 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:01 AM

Can someone explain how the end product works.  How much does say a typical 1 or 2 bedroom rent for, is it based on income?  I'd like to know how much taxpayers are subsidizing all this affordable housing

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:03 AM

It’s based on income.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:01 AM

Can someone explain how the end product works.  How much does say a typical 1 or 2 bedroom rent for, is it based on income?  I'd like to know how much taxpayers are subsidizing all this affordable housing

Looking at the Mayor's facebook page, it sounds like funding has not been committed to this project by the Province.

#13 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:35 PM

S.J. Willis is an interesting thing in the fact that the school district owns the building that sits upon the land, but the city owns the land in which the building sits upon. The school itself was supposed to be torn down years ago, but since the district owns the building and not the land....it made more sense to just keep it going.

That being said, the S.J. Willis building will be around for a while as it will be used to temporarily house both VIC HIGH and REYNOLDS when they undergo Sizemic upgrading.

#14 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:49 PM

they were going to tear it down? it's one of wade stockdill's buildings. as in 'the wade'.

#15 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:28 PM

S.J. Willis is an interesting thing in the fact that the school district owns the building that sits upon the land, but the city owns the land in which the building sits upon. The school itself was supposed to be torn down years ago, but since the district owns the building and not the land....it made more sense to just keep it going.

this doesn't surprise me.. there are a few schools in the district with similar issues.. i know Central was having an issue with being able to install portables due to who owns what parts of the land it sits on

#16 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:14 PM

More information has been released about this project:

There will be 92 parking spaces (mostly underground) for vehicles and 110 bicycle parking stalls. The 88 units will be in a 4-storey and a 5-storey building with this breakdown: 8 bachelor units, 34 1-bedroom units, 22 2-bedroom units, and 24 3-bedroom units.

The large majority of residents who attended the community meeting voted in favour of it and the land use committee endorsed the proposal as well. See http://www.burnsideg... 2018.02.28.pdf

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:23 PM

Interesting that this got a relatively quick endorsement from the BGCA when a similar project (the redevelopment of the former St. Andrew's elementary school) was fought tooth and nail by the North Park Neighbourhood Association. 

#18 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:29 PM

Interesting that this got a relatively quick endorsement from the BGCA when a similar project (the redevelopment of the former St. Andrew's elementary school) was fought tooth and nail by the North Park Neighbourhood Association.

BGCA also endorsed the Press Building proposal and Scott Building redevelopment after the initial community meetings with the developers of these properties.
  • Nparker likes this

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:38 PM

BGCA also endorsed the Press Building proposal and Scott Building redevelopment after the initial community meetings with the developers of these properties.

I can't begin to imagine the furor that would erupt in my hood if something like the Press Building project was proposed!!!!  :eek:  Gentrification is a 4-letter word in North Park.

#20 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:41 PM

I can't begin to imagine the furor that would erupt in my hood if something like the Press Building project was proposed!!!! :eek: Gentrification is a 4-letter word in North Park.

Of course it would be ironic for NPNA to oppose something like the Burnside elementary project if proposed for North Park on the basis of “gentrification”, given that all of the units are designated as affordable housing...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users