Photo

BC Minimum Wage Increase Offcially Announced This Morning

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:15 PM

The BC NDP has just delivered on one of their main campaign promises to increase BC's Minimum wage to $15 Dollars an hour by 2021.

But not only have they just rolled out the minimum wage increase plan this morning, but it will surpass the $15 dollar/hour goal and it will reach $15.20 by June 2021.

The minimum wage in BC will do a major jump to $12.60/hour this June, and then increase once a year every June until it reaches $15.20 per hour

A MAJOR VICTORY for the minimum wage worker (which is a huge percentage of the population)

What are your thoughts on the increase?

Chances are, if you're a business owner you are not gonna be happy, but if you are an employee working in the minimum wage sector you likely be celebrating.

• June 1, 2018: $12.65 an hour ($1.30 increase)
  • June 1, 2019: $13.85 an hour ($1.20 increase)
  • June 1, 2020: $14.60 an hour ($0.75 increase)
  • June 1, 2021: $15.20 an hour ($0.60 increase)

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ge-bc-1.4526320

Attached Images

• Minimum-Wage-graphicCondo-ca-Canada-Condominium-Magazine-560x350.jpg

Edited by Star Dust, 08 February 2018 - 12:35 PM.

#2 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:17 PM

Everyone is finding a way to complain about it.

#3 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:31 PM

I think this is a Major Victory for the struggling worker who has to try and get by on minimum wage.

I myself lived on minimum wage most of my life, so I know what it's like to struggle from paycheck to paycheck week after week, month after month, year after year.

Everything I did was in a state of complete Poverty for years and years, until I finally got a good paying Job. I would on average be working a minimum of TWO minimum wage jobs at once, and sometimes 3 just to get by.

I now make well above minimum wage for several years now, and for the first time in my life am living outside the "Poverty" line.

I never knew what it was like to not have to worry about if I was going to make my rent, or pay the electricity bill, or if I would eat that night  until I finally landed a Good paying job. IT was a horrible way to live.

So I will never lose compassion and sympathy for those who struggle day to day to financially support themselves and their families.

Unfortunately, unless legislation is put in place that freezes businesses from Raising their prices to compensate for wage increases........Poverty will never stop in our society.

Edited by Star Dust, 08 February 2018 - 12:37 PM.

• FirstTimeHomeCrier likes this

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:31 PM

Everyone is finding a way to complain about it.

Of course they are,

Day Ross BOUGHT TIME. Why is our living wage 19$ an hour but most people get paid min. Or 12.50?!?!
Manage

LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · Message · 1h
20229021_1609187195767613_11792534781821
Victoria BC TODAY In 2014, the median family income in B.C. was $76,770. In 2015, British Columbians working full-time earned an average weekly wage of $1,054.47, compared to the national average of $1,057.16. The average hourly wage for full-time employees in the province was $26.58.
Day Ross BOUGHT TIME. Why is our living wage 19$ an hour but most people get paid min. Or 12.50?!?!
Manage

LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · Message · 1h
20229021_1609187195767613_11792534781821
Victoria BC TODAY In 2014, the median family income in B.C. was $76,770. In 2015, British Columbians working full-time earned an average weekly wage of $1,054.47, compared to the national average of $1,057.16. The average hourly wage for full-time employees in the province was $26.58.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:19 PM

Is the 5 or so percent of the BC population who earns minimum wage really a huge percentage of the population?

#6 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

Is the 5 or so percent of the BC population who earns minimum wage really a huge percentage of the population?

It's about 6.4 % as of last Spring of the "Working Population"...which doesn't include the non-working population for people who are retired, disabled, or just independently wealthy that live off of inheritances etc ( which is a large amount of BC's population)

Hats off to the poor.

Unfortunately even when the wage hist $15.20/hour, those people who own businesses will raise their prices and people earning the minimum wage will still be living in poverty or below the poverty line. If you look at our history, their has always been the Poor, the middle class, and the upper class. Regardless of how much the minimum wage goes up, because as soon as it goes up, the cost of living goes up.

The elimination of "Classes" is ultimately the only way for people to live financially happy and or comfortable. But it will likely never happen because of GREED & Materialism.

Edited by Star Dust, 08 February 2018 - 02:48 PM.

• tjv likes this

#7 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:03 PM

Well they will be the ones that lose out. Anybody today working at minimum wage is doing so because their lack of skills or abilities prevents them from getting another job. Raising the minimum wage doesn't make them more productive, it just means that their positions will either be lost to automation or reduced hours/benefits as we are seeing in Ontario.

• VicHockeyFan, rjag, jonny and 1 other like this

#8 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:04 PM

The elimination of "Classes" is ultimately the only way for people to live financially happy and or comfortable. But it will likely never happen because of GREED & Materialism.

Classes can be eliminated when workers show up at work and agree not to be paid for the day's work if the company doesn't make any money! As long as we have different levels of risk and commitment we will have different rewards.

• VicHockeyFan and rjag like this

#9 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:05 PM

It's about 6.4 % as of last Spring of the "Working Population"...which doesn't include the non-working population for people who are retired, disabled, or just independently wealthy that live off of inheritances etc ( which is a large amount of BC's population)

Hats off to the poor.

Unfortunately even when the wage hist $15.20/hour, those people who own businesses will raise their prices and people earning the minimum wage will still be living in poverty or below the poverty line. If you look at our history, their has always been the Poor, the middle class, and the upper class. Regardless of how much the minimum wage goes up, because as soon as it goes up, the cost of living goes up.

Most businesses dont like to raise prices, in a competitive world there is a narrow margin for lots of business and unless they have a wide moat ie unique product or service they have to compete for business. The reason they are raised is because expenses increase. ie. increased supplier costs due to fuel price increases, increased payroll, increased payroll taxes, increased property tax, increased income tax etc.

Its hard to simply say that they should legislate business not increase prices...most would simply close or reduce hours or lay off staff and now we have more folks out of work and less people contributing to the economy, they become net takers not net contributors.

How about we legislate government not to increase tax?

You nailed it, the more costs go up, the more prices increase. Its not the fault of the business. 

• jonny likes this

#10 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:19 PM

"Anybody today working at minimum wage is doing so because their lack of skills or abilities prevents them from getting another job. "

Not so...........I myself have decades of skills, abilities and qualificaiton worthy of making a higher wage, however it took me until less then 10 years ago to get hired at a good paying job that paid well above the minimum wage.

Their is a lot involved in getting hired at an employer who pays well, that goes beyond one's skills, qualifications, and or experience. 

When being interviewed factors such as how you look, including your weight, if you are bald or have hair, tattoos, if you are a smoker, non-smoker, the religion you follow, your political affiliation, are you single, are you married, are you a parent, a single parent...etc.  And their is the "who you know" factor which is a MAJOR aspect of getting hired with employers who pay well. As a matter of fact, where I work 95% of every employee who works there has or had a family member or friend already employed at the time of their hire which resulted in them getting the job. I am actually one of a small handful of employees who was hired without having any inside contacts or friends that already worked there. I got the job completely on my own merit. Which I am actually kind of proud of LOL.

Many of those things listed above are not legally allowed to be asked during job interviews.......but they are asked anyway. I can't tell you how many job interviews I went through where they asked if I was a smoker, if I did drugs, what religion do I belong to, do I exercise, what sports teams do I like etc..

But I must say, that lack of skills, qualifications, and or experience often has VERY little to do with whether a person is hired or not at a good playing employer.

Edited by Star Dust, 08 February 2018 - 03:20 PM.

• rjag and Midnightly like this

#11 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:30 PM

^ All fair points Star Dust.

I'm glad you have found a position where you feel you are being paid appropriately for what you contribute.

I will say that I have sat on both sides of the desk, employer and employee and one thing I learned is that the decision to hire a person is usually made within the first 30-60 seconds of meeting the candidate. The rest of the interview is the employer internally justifying why they are making the decision.

Cheers  :cheers:

• weirdie and Matt R. like this

#12 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:38 PM

^^ Today there are hundreds of entry level jobs available at $15 an hour plus. Everywhere you look there are signs posted for help. If the best you can get is $11 (and you want more) then there is an issue.

10 years ago things were a little different during the recession.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:57 PM

Classes can be eliminated when workers show up at work and agree not to be paid for the day's work if the company doesn't make any money! As long as we have different levels of risk and commitment we will have different rewards.

Exactly.  I'm happy to say I made $1600 today.  Yesterday I made $30.  So far, I've worked less hard today than yesterday.  But lots of yesterday's work paid me today.  So be it.

• rjag likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#14 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:46 PM

In Victoria, today, most employers would have difficulty attracting and retaining staff by paying minimum wage - so generally speaking minimum wage is now reserved for what can be described as "entry level" positions.  Sadly, these same positions are often the first ones to be considered for automation (or off-shoring) should the price of labour exceed the value of the position.  It is no coincidence that McDonald's has self-serve terminals, and there are now more self checkouts than manned checkouts, and when you receive a call from a call-centre it is often based in India.  It should also be noted that what may be a "fair" minimum in larger urban centres - such as Victoria and Vancouver, might not be so fair in smaller communities and could tip what was marginally profitable business into the red.  The impact is also likely to be felt more acutely in small businesses (in smaller communities) than larger enterprises that might have more options in terms of mitigated the cost of changes to the minimum wage.  Expect a larger market for "under the table" or cash work, as those that previously would have secured traditional employment find it harder to find a job and instead work odd jobs.  Ultimately - with rising wage levels, expect inflationary pressure with respect to the costs of the basics (rent, food, etc.) - and a nudge up in the youth unemployment rate.  In short, a Victory cry for the poor might be premature.      

• sebberry and Midnightly like this

#15 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:36 PM

I am happy to see a reduction in corporate tax and a reduction in my Hydro bills, it’ll ease the pain a little .. for now.

Out of our 30 or so staff, only a few make minimum wage and they are people who choose to be part time or students, so their priorities are elsewhere anyways.

It will simply result in an increase in prices. No problem.

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan and Awaiting Juno like this

#16 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:42 PM

You nailed it, the more costs go up, the more prices increase. Its not the fault of the business. 

Operating costs may not be the fault of the business owner completely when it comes to things like minimum wage going up and taxation percentages going up, however a business owner is left with some choices to make when operating costs go up, or when taxes increase: Do I increase my prices to counter the costs going up, do I lay off some of my staff and keep the remaining staff at the same wage, or do I take a financial hit myself as a business owner and pay myself less, and live with a few less toys and luxuries.

Ideally in a perfect world, the last option would be the correct and "moral" option. But what business owner is going to pay themselves less of a salary or wage  to counter the operating costs going up? Who's the first to get HIT and the first to take the brunt of it?......The employees of course. Always been that way, always will be that way.

Edited by Star Dust, 08 February 2018 - 05:53 PM.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:48 PM

Look, the ones that will be hurt are the employees that are the least productive, as it should be.

• Matt R. likes this

#18 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:43 PM

Pay everybody on piece work, the more widgets you produce the more you get paid. That way you get paid exactly what you earn. 

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:51 PM

Pay everybody on piece work, the more widgets you produce the more you get paid. That way you get paid exactly what you earn. 

In a perfect world, for sure.  But if you are employing a hostess at a restaurant, do you pay them for each person they seat?  Some jobs are trickier.  I do not want to pay the 911 call taker, or the wildfire-fighter by the incident.  You can see where that could lead.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 08 February 2018 - 07:52 PM.

#20 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:59 PM

You can’t pay everyone that way, obviously. That’s why there are “minimum” wage laws.

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users