Photo

Watching the Olympics without cable TV

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:25 PM

Having cut the cord last fall, I wanted to be able to follow the Olympics on my TV. The CBC Olympics app for Android supports Chromcast, so I purchased a Chromecast (on sale currently at LD, Best Buy, and Source for ~$40) and set it up. I thus have my tablet casting Olympics coverage to my TV.

Just a suggestion for any cable-cutters wanting to follow the events. Any alternate options for us cable cutters?

• VicHockeyFan and lanforod like this

#2 Freedom57

Freedom57
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:37 PM

Get an HD Antenna - as long as what you want to watch is being broadcast over the air.    I am in downtown Victoria and pick up the lots of the Seattle channels - and thus can watch the Olympics on NBC (KING).  My HD antenna is paper thin and I have it hanging in a window.  Get one with the furthest range possible.  Mine cost only $60 and I get 35 or so channels.  After you've purchased the antenna - no other costs.

• Mike K. and lanforod like this

#3 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:07 PM

Ya I know about over-the-air broadcasts. Bought a cheap antenna last year to see what I could pick up, just got the few stations coming off Camosack Manor. I'm located such that there is no line of sight or altitude to work with.

I may be moving this spring or summer so will keep this in mind as a possible factor, and will try again eventually.

#4 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:15 AM

TVFool is an excellent predictor of what HD channels you will receive with an antenna, based on your address and postal code.

It takes into account the terrain between the broadcast antenna and your home antenna for the line-of-sight calculation.

http://www.tvfool.co...ntpage&Itemid=1

I find it reasonably accurate, if a bit optimistic at times.

Edited by Cassidy, 11 February 2018 - 09:15 AM.

• Sparky likes this

#5 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:29 AM

^ Cassidy your post is a perfect example of why I enjoy our forum. I learn something everyday. 

That was a very cool and useful link. Thank you for that. 

• Matt R. likes this

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:04 AM

I too just get what comes off of Camosack Manor.  So I use my receiver as an SDR to pick up CREST instead :)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:19 AM

I cut my cable 4 years ago.......No olympics for me :(  

Can't find a way to watch them online either.  They are getting trickier and trickier with computer connections.

For example Apparently you are supposed to be able to watch the new X-Files season on CTV website. I click on it and it's just blank.

#8 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

Download the CBC Olympic app for iPhone or Android.
Hours of free Olympics highlights, and some full events.

It’s on their website as well, just not as well organized.

#9 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:33 AM

Cbc website airplayed from a Mac to Apple TV.
  • Cassidy likes this

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:44 AM

I too just get what comes off of Camosack Manor.  So I use my receiver as an SDR to pick up CREST instead :)

Do people that live in Camosack Manor get TV stations even on their coffee maker?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 February 2018 - 11:44 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:52 PM

I cut my cable 4 years ago.......No olympics for me :(

Can't find a way to watch them online either.  They are getting trickier and trickier with computer connections.

For example Apparently you are supposed to be able to watch the new X-Files season on CTV website. I click on it and it's just blank.

I don't know much about technology, so forgive my ignorance, but can't you watch the Olympics on the CBC website? I've been watching biathlon on there with no problems.

#12 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:25 PM

I don't know much about technology, so forgive my ignorance, but can't you watch the Olympics on the CBC website? I've been watching biathlon on there with no problems.

Beats me, I'm really not all that smart with Computers. Come to think of it, this is the first Olympics in decades that I have not seen or heard a single thing about. It's as if it doesn't even exist. 

Would be nice if someone here could post a Winter Olympic Medal Count thread who has TV

FOLLOW UP: Yep it seems I can watch the Olympics (or at least what CBC) is covering LIVE on their website.

Too bad I'm in the middle of a RED DWARF Marathon LOL.

Edited by Star Dust, 12 February 2018 - 08:44 PM.

#13 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:23 PM

What's the point of having five Olympic channels if they're all simultaneously showing the same hockey game?

• Mike K. and lanforod like this

#14 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:48 PM

Gosh, all I've heard and read about for weeks is the Olympics, lol. If I want the medal count I just google it.

If you want to see a specific event you can go here. It's worked very well.

https://olympics.cbc...-event-replays/

Including Radio Canada and NBC, I think there are seven channels showing Olympics, but I've seen different events on different channels.

• lanforod likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users