231 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:47 PM

The Bay Centre begins enhancements in advance of welcoming new tenant

New services to help augment the heart of downtown Victoria’s shopping district

Feb. 26, 2018, Victoria, BC – The Bay Centre has begun undertaking interior enhancements in preparation of welcoming a 20,000 square foot, multi-level store, scheduled to open in spring 2019.  Located on levels 1 and 2, the addition of the soon to be named tenant is part of an overall remerchandising program currently underway at The Bay Centre.

“Our goal is to become a shoppers’ first destination by welcoming new tenants, events, and partners as we embrace the overall growth of downtown,” says Darlene Hollstein, General Manager of The Bay Centre. “Over the long-term, the realignment of the stores and services that are in The Bay Centre is intended to further enhance the shopping experience for those who live, work, and play downtown.”

Additional shopping centre enhancements planned for 2018 include entryway upgrades, interior and exterior lighting improvements, and redesigned marquee signs designed to strengthen the guest experience and attract new, long-term tenants to the downtown Victoria marketplace. As part of the new store opening, some tenants will move to new locations.

The shift in the merchandising mix of The Bay Centre reflects the ongoing changes to the city’s downtown core. With an increase of residential units – both market and rental – in the last few years, with buildings such as the Sovereign, Escher, Era, Janion, and the Hudson District completed and welcoming residents, more Victorians now call downtown their home.

Overall, the city is growing; the recent population estimate for Victoria saw an increase of 7.2 per cent (Canada Census, 2016). In addition, the City of Victoria’s Downtown Core Area Plan identifies that with increased residential growth, commercial stores, services, and dining establishments will also need to shift to fit the needs of residents.

“We’re growing up as a city, and it shows,” says Hollstein. “We continue to see more and more people choose to live downtown and seek out services, shopping, and restaurants that make an urban environment vibrant and welcoming.”

As part of normal industry practice, the name of the new tenant will be released when the retailer is prepared to make an announcement.

For more information about The Bay Centre, visit www.thebaycentre.ca

About The Bay Centre

Covering one full city block in the centre of Victoria's shopping district, The Bay Centre has a mix of over 90 street front and interior shops where you'll find unique, quality brands, diverse dining options, and exceptional service in an urban shopping environment.

Featured retailers include: the Hudson's Bay Company, Le Chateau, GoodLife Fitness, Eco Chic AVEDA Salon & Spa, L'Occitane En Provence, Urban Planet, Sport Chek, The Tuscan Kitchen, Below the Belt and so much more.

The Bay Centre is owned by Manulife Real Estate and managed by Cushman & Wakefield Asset Services Inc.

• Kapten Kapsell and gstc84 like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:57 PM

Awesome! Given the number of Bay Centre stores closing, relocating within the mall, or relocating to storefronts on Government St in the past few months, I had been wondering (and hoping) if it was a strategic shape-up to make way for a larger retailer within the mall.

Very excited to hear who the tenant will be. Any early speculation? (first person to shout "Ikea!" gets an Arkelstorp thrown at them)

• Nparker likes this

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:00 PM

I believe there are eight vacancies in the mall at this time.

Could it be a downtown H&M? They like two-level stores.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:01 PM

Very excited to hear who the tenant will be. Any early speculation? (first person to shout "Ikea!" gets an Arkelstorp thrown at them)

Costco!

• Mike K. and gstc84 like this

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:02 PM

Tesla?

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#6 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:11 PM

Could it be a downtown H&M? They like two-level stores.

That was my first thought too. I have a friend who's a manager at the Uptown store but he says he hasn't heard anything.

• Mike K. likes this

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:13 PM

As part of normal industry practice, the name of the new tenant will be released when the retailer is prepared to make an announcement...

:angry:

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:25 PM

It might not surprise me if it's Shoppers, rather than them going into the Chapters space.

• Mike K., Rob Randall and jonny like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

Holt Renfrew? or Saks?

Edited by lanforod, 26 February 2018 - 02:28 PM.

#10 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

That would be profoundly underwhelming.

EDIT: Shoppers, that is.

Edited by gstc84, 26 February 2018 - 02:29 PM.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:30 PM

Ah, but it would open up that massive block for redevelopment.

• jonny and grantpalin like this

Know it all.

#12 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:45 PM

That would be profoundly underwhelming.

EDIT: Shoppers, that is.

If it included their Fresh Food brand/department it would be more interesting. Groceries would be the one thing that would be most aligned with more folks living downtown.

#13 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:49 PM

Sportchek is 2 levels right? Maybe its that space and sportchek moves

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:55 PM

Nope, it's just one level.

Know it all.

#15 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:55 PM

Sportchek is 2 levels right? Maybe its that space and sportchek moves

Sportchek is two levels at Hillside. Just one at the Bay Centre (and on the third floor, while this new mystery tenant will be split between floors 1 and 2) Roughly the same size though - Bay Centre Sportchek is just over 19,000 sq. ft.

Someone on the VV Facebook thread suggested Uniqlo, which would be great. I was just in their new store in Burnaby and bought a ton of new, good quality clothes for dirt cheap prices.

• Mike K. and RoadRunner like this

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

Does anyone else recall that when the Bay Centre first opened (as the Victoria Eaton Centre ca. 1990) that Mark's & Spencer's was on two levels (situated at the NE corner of the 1st & 2nd levels)?

• Mike K., Matt R., RoadRunner and 2 others like this

#17 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:32 PM

Bay Centre (and downtown) needs an awesome grocery store not before seen in Victoria, like T&T  or Osaka (owned by T&T).  Vancouver travellers will appreciate what i'm talking about here. Two of the most successful malls on the mainland (Park Royal and MetroTown) host huge grocery stores. The current semi-vacant Bay Centre mall is now left with low priced junk clothing stores aimed at teenagers that don't seem to be buying.  And i haven't heard of a  cellphone outlet (of which there are currently 8 (EIGHT!) that will take two floors.

P.S. Yes i remember M&S, i always went there for their oatmeal cookies.  

Edited by JanionGuy, 26 February 2018 - 04:42 PM.

• Nparker, Danma and thundergun like this

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

My sister was a M&S manager for many years. Fond memories of the store. I believe former local amateur astronomer Jack Newton was the GM.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 February 2018 - 04:37 PM.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#19 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:07 PM

Bay Centre (and downtown) needs an awesome grocery store not before seen in Victoria, like T&T  or Osaka (owned by T&T).  Vancouver travellers will appreciate what i'm talking about here. Two of the most successful malls on the mainland (Park Royal and MetroTown) host huge grocery stores. The current semi-vacant Bay Centre mall is now left with low priced junk clothing stores aimed at teenagers that don't seem to be buying.  And i haven't heard of a  cellphone outlet (of which there are currently 8 (EIGHT!) that will take two floors.

P.S. Yes i remember M&S, i always went there for their oatmeal cookies.  

Save-On already announced a downtown outlet, didn't they?

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:09 PM

Save-On already announced a downtown outlet, didn't they?

No. And in any event the One hinted in Harris a Green, not Downtown. Just ask councillor T-J.
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)