• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

https://vancouverisl...eders-1.3823721

Residents say they're seeing more fed-up commuters trying to skip traffic by taking Millstream Road, which connects cars from the West Shore to the Saanich Peninsula

Guess the nice folks in Highlands dont like increased traffic in their 'hood. If you have driven there you will know its a narrow winding country road and like Prospect Lake, the folks that are most familiar with it are the ones that will take the risks....a.k.a. the residents. I think they are unhappy with the increased volume of traffic than 'speeders'

I guess using that awful word 'speeders' is like 'foreign buyers' it creates a scapegoat scenario and trigger.

to quote Ann Baird a councillor from Highlands writing on the Local Governance 2.0 FB page

Highlands has discussed interval cameras, speed bumps, speed humps, speed reeders, and road side trails etc in order to improve safety. All of these have issues. Historically, these roads have been multimodal with kids, bikes, horses, joggers, and walkers. Some of our roads are very narrow (one lane, no shoulder, and very curvy with blind corners). 
The fire department is not keen on the speed humps as they slow down response time considerably.
Also important to note the the Highlands is only about 2300 people...meaning that our budget for roads is VERY small. 

Yesterday we had 3 media events...an article in the Goldstream Gazette, CFAX at noon - 1pm, and CTV. 

CFAX crucified us with spin and conflict generating a show more in line with the twilight zone...

CTV showed up here at my house and we had a few community members as well. I read them the riot act about reporting the facts correctly, and they still got it wrong...note that they have corrected the online part of their story.

I want to make it abundantly clear here that: 

* Highlands has decided NOTHING. We are simply seeking community engagement at this point. 
* 30km/h on all roads was just a number thrown out for discussion purposes. The community, staff, RCMP, and the fire department have not even been consulted. Nothing would happen without full public consultation. 
* our discussion to this point is about safety on our roads and the ideas about being a "Slow Community" to focus on community values.

She raises some valid points, its a rural route, traffic is increasing...what should be considered is a regional strategy and looking at the BC Hydro rights of way to cut a road right through to the Peninsula which would take a lot of pressure off the crawl.

When the topic of a new road is raised her response

Our collective regional goal is to reduce GHGe and the amount of cars on roads...that is not going to be achieved by building more roads. That line of thinking got us into this predicament. 

IF, our community was interested in being a "slow Community", and IF this included reducing speed limits, and IF we had increased enforcement, our roads would be safer to bike commuters, NZEV's, etc that could be used to connect to commuting corridors with transit options. A true multi-modal solution.

Vision statement of the CRD Regional Growth Strategy that ALL agreed to: 

“The Capital Regional District residents enjoy a healthy and rewarding quality of life. We have a vital economy, livable communities and steward our environment and natural resources with care. Our choices reflect our commitment to collective action on climate change.”

And this is why we will never have a regional transportation plan that will actually work, it will just be another layer of taxation and regulation and nothing will change apart from folks wallets being lighter

Edited by rjag, 01 March 2018 - 10:40 AM.

• VicHockeyFan and Cassidy like this

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:07 AM

There is a group in Rural Saanich that has been working with Saanich to raise awareness to ALL of the roads out here in the sticks. Here is a sample of their work that I believe has just been approved for installation in 8 locations.

Rural Saanich Speed Sign-2.jpg

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:25 AM

Just what rural areas need, more signs.
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:46 AM

I have people down at the end of my street with kids and they constantly complain about "speeders".  They often make jesters to slow down and when I see them do it I am usually doing like 52 in a 50 zone.  Later I watched the same parents stand on the road as I approach only to see their kid come screaming out of the driveway on their bike and they did nothing to admonish their kid, like it was completely normal.  Guess what, its a road, not a playground

They have plastered 3 signs on the street that say something like "slow down, kids at play".  I just ignore the signs and continue driving at 50

#5 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:02 AM

I grew up on Savannah and played street hockey on the road all the time without fear of getting mowed down.  My parents still live there, and now it's being used as a cut through and people do drive 50+ down it and it's just no longer safe for kids to play hockey or bike on the street.  It's not something that has an easy solution unfortunately, but certainly people should not be doing 50 down Savannah in any situation even though it is still legal at this time.

#6 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:23 AM

They often make jesters to slow down....

Everyone should have to slow down, not just jesters.

• tjv likes this

#7 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:01 AM

All these warning signs, "slow down, deer" or "kids" etc are a distraction in themselves and can contribute to information overload etc

http://blog.signsdir...-traffic-signs/

https://www.research...racting_drivers

https://www.driverkn...o-we-reduce-it/

Yup Savannah is a logical short cut route, it shouldnt be as the traffic volumes on Quadra havent changed in the last 10 years and are slightly lower. Could it be more people living on the street and in the surrounding area? 

I think situations like this where people see increases in traffic on side streets will only get worse as municipalities reduce travel lanes on arterial routes ie Shelbourne between North Dairy and Feltham will see far more traffic on side streets as a result. Already seeing way more traffic on Poplar and Pear as a result of that utter mess lane reduction on Cedar Hill Cross, not to forget more congestion and increased pollution that wasnt there before from idling traffic.

The more we see arterials flow capacity reduced the more we will see traffic seeking alternate routes. 

#8 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:00 AM

.........what should be considered is a regional strategy and looking at the BC Hydro rights of way to cut a road right through to the Peninsula which would take a lot of pressure off the crawl.

I really like this idea. If you look at Google Maps, the Hydro right of way(s) stand out like a sore thumb.

It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see that a lot of folks living in the ever growing Langford/Goldstream area might utilize such a road (thus bypassing Tillicum/Strawberry Vale and View Royal/Colwood sections of the Island Highway completely).

Likely has the potential to cut  "Crawl" traffic by at least one third, if not more?

Great idea!

#9 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

Does seem like a good idea. Go west of Prospect lake, or south? Or both?

Whats the topography like, would this road by pretty dang hilly?

#10 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:15 PM

Does seem like a good idea. Go west of Prospect lake, or south? Or both?

Whats the topography like, would this road by pretty dang hilly?

Not really, its not a lot of geology, would be a pretty straightforward route, 1 lane each way, controlled to 60kmh, no traffic lights, with a bike lane and a caveat that the land around it isn't to be developed.

Doesn't need to be complicated, even though politicians and the CRD would complicate it....not to forget the fact they 'hate' roads....but this one actually makes a lot of sense, takes pressure off the Crawl, reduces pressure on the McKenzie interchange and perhaps saves 15 minutes for folks travelling to the airport or the ferry terminal.

I bet they could toll it and it would be subscribed to big time 

• Mike K., lanforod and Cassidy like this

#11 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,290 posts

Posted 24 June 2022 - 02:25 AM

With a goal of establishing a default speed limit of 30 km/h on neighbourhood roads, the City of Victoria has told staff to prepare changes to its streets and traffic bylaw.

Noting that other mun­ici­palities in the region, such as Saanich and ­Esquimalt, have been moving in this ­direction, as have parts of Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Victoria intends to roll out the lower speed limit over several years.

A city staff report said when the new bylaw is adopted, ­Victoria would implement new signage based on factors such as collision history, the presence of vulnerable populations, parks, schools, care facilities and ­community centres.

Municipal councils have the authority to set speed limits on roads under their jurisdiction.

Victoria’s project would focus on residential streets. It would exclude arterial streets such as Bay, Blanshard, Cook and Douglas or secondary arterial streets such as parts of Dallas Road, Finlayson Street, Government Street and Fort Street or ­collector streets such as Belleville Street, Caledonia Avenue, Foul Bay Road and Menzies Street.

Victoria council was split on an initiative that would reduce the default speed to 30 km/h on many roads in the city from the current default of 50 km/h for urban roads, set by the province.

Some councillors felt the exercise would be pointless.

Coun. Geoff Young said he has been on record supporting the reduction of the speed limit, but 30 km/h is too much.

“I think we’re going too far with this,” he said. “I was supportive of the 40 km/h limit.”

With little enforcement other than signage imploring drivers to slow to 30 km/h, the move is “an empty gesture,” Young said.

https://www.timescol...streets-5513856

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 June 2022 - 02:25 AM.

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 24 June 2022 - 07:11 AM

A complete waste of my tax dollars that will accomplish nothing. 😡
  • sebberry and mbjj like this

#13 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 24 June 2022 - 10:33 AM

With little enforcement other than signage imploring drivers to slow to 30 km/h, the move is "an empty gesture," Young said.

A complete waste of my tax dollars that will accomplish nothing, Nparker said.

Mayor Lisa Helps said it would be an empty gesture if Victoria was all alone in ­making the change and only put up signs.

“I don’t want to set people up for failure," Andrew said.

All politics = empty gestures. That's the point. It will accomplish what it's intended to accomplish: new tensions and frustrations, confusion, dissatisfaction, not to mention a heaping dose of distraction from things that actually matter, etc.

The political machine simply would not exist if not for all of the manufactured dramas and controversies.

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 24 June 2022 - 10:55 AM

I care less about the empty gesture than I do about the further emptying of my wallet to enact these useless measures.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 24 June 2022 - 11:11 AM

“It’s good to see our ­colleagues in other municipalities and their staff working hard to achieve Vision Zero,” she said. “This is really about livability and public safety.”

Vision Zero, created in Europe in the 1990s, is aimed at reducing fatalities through ­better road design, speed ­reduction and other measures.

Kudos to local politicians in 2022 for jumping into action on that Vision Zero thing from the mid-1990s. Nothing suggests a sincere commitment to an effort quite like decades of blather, foot-dragging, and -- when some sort of action is finally undertaken -- ineffectual initiatives.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 24 June 2022 - 11:12 AM

How about the Coalition to End Homelessness by 2018?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 24 June 2022 - 11:14 AM

Vision Zero = zero vision.

• On the Level likes this

#18 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 24 June 2022 - 11:22 AM

How about the Coalition to End Homelessness by 2018?

Not sure what you're implying, but the longstanding wars against homelessness, addiction, poverty, mental illness, etc. continue to be waged exactly as intended. The military brass can barely move, they're so weighed down with medals and decorations for their decades of valiant service in fighting the good fight(s).

• LJ and Victoria Watcher like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users