Sparrow
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1301 Hillside Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Sparrow offers a distinct collection of intelligently designed 1 & 2 bedroom homes in Victoria's vibrant O... (view full profile)
Learn more about Sparrow on Citified.ca
Photo

[Oaklands] Sparrow | Condos | 6-storeys | Completed - Built in 2023

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:01 AM

NVision (part of Abstract Properties) is proposing to build a 6-storey rental building on a former gas station site.  Details are now on Dev Tracker; there will be 46 units (bachelor, 1-bed, and 2-bed).  All of the larger units will have dedicated parking (25 units in total).

Perspective renderings:

1301 hillside.JPG

1301 hillside2.JPG

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:03 AM

Booooooooring. They can go higher there.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:04 AM

I've never seen Abstract build a concrete building or anything higher than 6 storeys...

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:04 AM

Make it 12. Those top floors will have nice views. They can fund Isitt’s “affordable” component in lower floors.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:07 AM

Why bother proposing 12 floors when even 6 will get the neighbours in a tizzy?

#6 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:13 AM

Design is nice.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:22 AM

Why bother proposing 12 floors when even 6 will get the neighbours in a tizzy?

I think this one is a bit neighbourless.  I know, I know there is some neighbourhood group or another that will protest, but I've said before they have too much weight.

screenshot-www.google.ca-2018.03.19-10-24-12.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 March 2018 - 09:25 AM.

#8 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:29 AM

I like the arched windows.

I think this one is a bit neighbourless.  

What about the poor lil' orphans?

• Nparker likes this

#9 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:47 AM

Speaking of Hillside and Cook - anyone know anything about the apt building on the north west corner? Every time I go by there lately ALL the blinds are closed. Does anyone actually live there?

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:50 AM

...What about the poor lil' orphans?

You can be certain preserving the "sanctity" of the Cridge property will play into arguments against this proposal.

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:52 AM

...I know, I know there is some neighbourhood group or another that will protest, but I've said before they have too much weight...

But these sorts of groups have killed or unrecognizedly altered projects and I see no reason to see why this location will be any different.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:05 AM

But these sorts of groups have killed or unrecognizedly altered projects and I see no reason to see why this location will be any different.

You are probably right.  But we let them have much, much too much weight.  I'd rather we weigh individual letters or speakers at the hearings.

• Nparker likes this

#13 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:14 AM

I think the Victoria OCP identifies this parcel as "core residential".  For areas "north of Pandora, and east of Cook", buildings up to 6 stories are identified...so, proposing higher is likely not consistent with the OCP.

Capture.PNG

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:14 AM

You are probably right.  But we let them have much, much too much weight...

And based on my own experiences of the NPNA, I am not entirely convinced that neighbourhood associations necessarily represent the sentiment of the majority in a given area, especially when they discourage dissenting opinions even among themselves.

#15 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

And based on my own experiences of the NPNA, I am not entirely convinced that neighbourhood associations necessarily represent the sentiment of the majority in a given area, especially when they discourage dissenting opinions even among themselves.

Neighbourhood Associations typically represent the sentiment of those people with enough free time to be involved in the association

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, jonny and 1 other like this

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:29 AM

Neighbourhood Associations typically represent the sentiment of those people with enough free time to be involved in the association

Precisely.

#17 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:59 AM

Thank you for bringing the updated application to our attention, Kapten!

Six-storey rental complex planned for high-profile Hillside and Cook intersection

https://victoria.cit...k-intersection/

• Kapten Kapsell and Nparker like this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

I think the Victoria OCP identifies this parcel as "core residential".  For areas "north of Pandora, and east of Cook", buildings up to 6 stories are identified...so, proposing higher is likely not consistent with the OCP.

Its designated urban residential under the OCP which permits "Total floor space ratios generally up to 1.2:1. Increased density up to a total of approximately 2:1 may be considered in strategic locations for the advancement of plan objectives." 

So there may be some push back from the associations. But honestly I can't think is a much better location for increased density with there not really being any immediate neighbours. 

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 2.38.39 PM.png

Edited by tiger11, 19 March 2018 - 01:47 PM.

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:02 PM

...But we let them [neighbourhood associations] have much, much too much weight...

Interesting that on the same day as some former Peter Pollen lands are slated for redevelopment, another of his legacies could be seen to cause nearly as much harm as good.

legacy.JPG

#20 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:46 PM

Its designated urban residential under the OCP which permits "Total floor space ratios generally up to 1.2:1. Increased density up to a total of approximately 2:1 may be considered in strategic locations for the advancement of plan objectives." 

So there may be some push back from the associations. But honestly I can't think is a much better location for increased density with there not really being any immediate neighbours. 

You're right.  Colours are a bit washed out for these old eyes.  Thanks for highlighting.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users