AlertReady emergency warning system

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:53 AM

This Friday, April 6th the AlertReady emergency response system will be rolled out and accessible to all individuals with a cellphone connected to a wireless provider. Individuals cannot opt out of such warnings and everyone in a specific area will receive the warning.

The move comes after a somewhat sporadic emergency response and public alert to a tsunami warning that recently affected coastal British Columbia and Vancouver Island. There were accounts of individuals who signed up for emergency alerts with their municipalities not receiving any such alerts, while others did. Some municipalities did not send out alerts while others were more prepared/proactive and notified all residents who registered via their emergency notification systems of a materializing tsunami threat.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:54 AM

I hope they designed it better than that stupid Hawaiian system.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:01 AM

...as a 2.8-magnitude earthquake strikes west of Tofino and Ucluelet.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:53 PM

I did not get my warning!

Matt.

#5 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:55 PM

^Today is not Friday you Salt Spring Stoner.

• Kungsberg likes this

#6 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:56 PM

It’s not? I blame jet lag!

Matt.
  • todd likes this

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:57 PM

Will there be an annual test of the system?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:57 PM

Yes.
  • todd likes this

Know it all.

#9 Freedom57

Freedom57
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:06 PM

Is AlertReady different than the one that COV previously had set up?

#10 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:13 PM

I hope they designed it better than that stupid Hawaiian system.

Hawaiian? http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-fake-1.3571222 I guess you can't remember that far  :banana:

Edited by todd, 05 April 2018 - 09:20 PM.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:39 PM

Is AlertReady different than the one that COV previously had set up?

Yes. It’s federal/provincial and it’s not optional. Everyone connected to a cellular network will receive the message.

Know it all.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:17 AM

Will there be an annual test of the system?

In May this year.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:07 PM

Only one out of three of us got the test alert just now. We are all with the Rogers :wacko:. 

Edited by todd, 09 May 2018 - 01:08 PM.

#14 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:09 PM

Same here but Koodo. There was also one on the TV though.

#15 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:15 PM

Important to note that not all phones are compatible with the Ready Alert system. If you have a compatible device, it must be connected to an LTE network when the alert is sent, and have the Cell/Mobile Broadcast function enabled (I think it is enabled by default, but it can be disabled)

I received the alert on the Fido (aka Rogers) network.

Edited by Jackerbie, 09 May 2018 - 01:16 PM.

• todd likes this

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:17 PM

One could argue that the fact that we all have mobile phones now is a reason we do not need this type of wide alert.  We are all gonna text each other anyway.

On the news the other day, the spokesperson said the main dangers in our area are:

• extreme weather
  • tsunami
  • earthquake
  • wildfire

I'm not sure what good this system is for #1 or #4.  Those ones we can see well ahead.  #3, it's too late anyway, we will feel it if it's serious.  And #2 affects a tiny, tiny, tiny portion of the population.  No point sending thousands up to Mt. Tolmie again.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 09 May 2018 - 01:21 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#17 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

Got the alert on Telus here.  The alert almost made me P*ss my pants

• VicHockeyFan and rjag like this

#18 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:21 PM

Nothing received on my BlackBerry :/  I also don't bother with LTE because it makes my clock radio buzz annoyingly.  I'll drown in the Tsunami.

Lots of people don't bother with LTE to preserve battery life. They drown in the Tsunami.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:22 PM

Got the alert on Telus here.  The alert almost made me P*ss my pants

Well, that would help quell the wildfire I guess.

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:23 PM

One could argue that the fact that we all have mobile phones now is a reason we do not need this type of wide alert.  We are all gonna text each other anyway.

The benefit of the alert system (I think) is it can prioritize network traffic to ensure the alerts get through over top of everyone trying to browse Twitter and Facebook each other asking if they can see the wave.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users