Photo

2018 Victoria municipal election - who stays, who goes?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
71 replies to this topic

Poll: Who wins and who loses come October 2018? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Select up to 9 City of Victoria incumbents that you think will be re-elected in October 2018

1. Mayor Helps (17 votes [11.04%])

Percentage of vote: 11.04%

2. Alto (21 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

3. Coleman (16 votes [10.39%])

Percentage of vote: 10.39%

4. Isitt (22 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

5. Madoff (17 votes [11.04%])

6. Loveday (19 votes [12.34%])

Percentage of vote: 12.34%

7. Lucas (7 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

8. Thornton-Joe (17 votes [11.04%])

9. Young (18 votes [11.69%])

Percentage of vote: 11.69%

Vote

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 11:06 AM

As per the title, who do you think will be re-elected and who do you think won't be at the council table come October, 2018?

This poll is private. If you wish to discuss your choices please do so below.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 05 May 2018 - 11:30 AM

No option for ‘none of the above ‘?

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

No option for ‘none of the above ‘?

You can't be serious as surely you know there will not be nine credible, electable candidates you like better. You must compromise.

Edited by Rob Randall, 05 May 2018 - 12:36 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 12:43 PM

Well again it’s not a who do you hope but a who do you think.

Nobody can seriously think Isitt won’t be re-elected.
  • Rob Randall, Matt R. and John M. like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 05 May 2018 - 03:00 PM

You can't be serious as surely you know there will not be nine credible, electable candidates you like better. You must compromise.

Sure I'm serious. I think Alto is about the only one that doesn't have baggage as she's managed to distance herself from the union stuff, Coleman has become a weather vane and hasn't fought the good fight in some time. Young and Madoff are well past their 'best before' dates, Joe and Lucas had great intentions with the homeless portfolio but disappeared when tent city blew up in their faces, Loveday, while approachable and with good ideas doesn't have the depth of life experience beyond the social justice world and is too closely associated with Isitt and his Maoist/Marxist bizarreness. Helps has shown to be a good manager of meetings but has aligned herself too closely with the vocal minority social engineers.

Unfortunately they have created such a labyrinth of complexities and alliances that it will be next to impossible for any outsider with a reasonable fiscal approach to attempt to navigate the council back to what a council should be doing...which is infrastructure, planning, zoning and bylaws. This council are now nothing more than social workers and social engineers. 

Its so funny when folks rant about Trump and his divisive and disruptive approach to running a country, we have that in spades here. This last 4 years this council has caused more chaos, disruption and divisiveness than any preceding council.

We are now seeing the same approach with the Province, its identity politics, class warfare, social engineering all wrapped into one....this is not how a city should be run

Edited by rjag, 05 May 2018 - 03:01 PM.

• Mike K., Bob Fugger, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,403 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 03:12 PM

Well again it’s not a who do you hope but a who do you think...

Saddest poll ever.  :(

• rjag and mbjj like this

#7 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

How about the poll saying, "Who among this group would you actually vote for"? Very few would be my answer.

• rjag and rmpeers like this

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:15 AM

We seem to lose business candidates after only one term. Gudgeon last time and Lucas very likely this time.

What’s causing them to not seek re-election?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,403 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:37 AM

We seem to lose business candidates after only one term. Gudgeon last time and Lucas very likely this time. What’s causing them to not seek re-election?

I imagine one gets pretty beaten down - psychologically speaking - after endless SJW council sessions.

• rjag and Awaiting Juno like this

#10 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:04 AM

An article from the current Focus magazine. More "warriors" coming our way.

http://www.focusonvi...eeds-…-who-r15/

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:17 AM

“Victoria needs articulate people with common sense, experience handling employees and questioning consultants, practical ideas about how to improve the City, and the determination — and the time — to see them realized. Those qualities are not as common as one would hope.”
  • Rob Randall, Nparker, rjag and 2 others like this

Know it all.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:20 AM

An article from the current Focus magazine. More "warriors" coming our way.

http://www.focusonvi...eeds-…-who-r15/

“A lot of people aren’t happy with the present council,” says Hammond. Around 250 people are on his email list, and via surveys, he’s distilled what they want into a set of objectives, including “a focus on Victoria’s core services,” “fiscal responsibility,” “fair and even enforcement of laws,” and planning that assumes cars “are still a fundamental form of transportation” — all concerns he says the council has largely abandoned.

And Lisa Helps might have 250 volunteers on the street.  This newcouncil is not exactly charging forward.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:22 AM

Hammond’s group recently formed an alliance with “Club 89,” a group of Downtown businesspeople led by Mark Mawhinney, who ran Ida Chong’s mayoralty campaign in 2014. (Helps defeated Dean Fortin by 89 votes; Chong finished a distant third.) Mawhinney says they’ve got at least eight potential council candidates — neither he nor Hammond are running — several with “bonafide community involvement, and small-business chops.” Their discussions have included BC Liberal staffer Andrew Reeve, and former diplomat Hilary Groos, both of whom ran for council in 2014 alongside Chong, but no one has emerged yet as a mayoral candidate.

Facing off against them will be Together Victoria, a youthful, NDPish electors’ organization. According to its materials, Together Victoria (formerly “Organize Victoria”) formed because progressive candidates didn’t run an identifiable slate in 2014, “preventing the opportunity for strong progressive turnout to be translated into a strong majority at the council table.” Its objectives, developed in five workshops with more than 100 participants, are to “create a city that is affordable and inclusive”, “prioritize infrastructure that impacts social and environmental justice”, and “foster greater democratic engagement” — although it also says its members may be suspended if they are “not able to acknowledge and address their own oppressive behaviour.” (Focus contacted Together Victoria’s principals, but they declined to be interviewed until they officially launch in mid-May.)

Together Victoria apparently aims to field three new candidates, apparently in the hope of knocking off business-oriented incumbents Geoff Young, Margaret Lucas, and Chris Coleman, who got the last three council spots in 2014. Rumoured nominees include Laurel Collins, a PhD candidate in sociology and leadership studies at UVic, and Sharmarke Dubow, a refugee worker for the Inter-Cultural Association of Greater Victoria.

All these names are no good.  They need bigger, more recognizable names.

• Rob Randall likes this

#14 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

All these names are no good.  They need bigger, more recognizable names.

To displace an incumbent perhaps, but the advantages the slates have is that they can pool resources for marketing and promotion. I would expect that in the month or so before the election we a concerted effort to broadcast the slates and their members.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,403 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:06 PM

...the advantages the slates have is that they can pool resources for marketing and promotion. I would expect that in the month or so before the election we a concerted effort to broadcast the slates and their members.

I think a candidate's name recognition tends to be more important than party affiliation in our local elections - at least at the polling booth.

#16 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:10 PM

I think a candidate's name recognition tends to be more important than party affiliation in our local elections - at least at the polling booth.

Agreed but name recognition will come when it is broadcast every hour of every day on CFAX and CHEK in the month leading up to the election.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:14 PM

I think name recognition is more than remembering Jim Smith when you get to the polls.

It’s more about having a name like Gordy Dodd where a whole lot of people already know your name and what you are about.

#18 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,403 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:39 PM

...It’s more about having a name like Gordy Dodd where a whole lot of people already know your name and what you are about.

Unfortunately this also works if you have a name like Ben Isitt or Pam Madoff, and a mostly uninformed electorate doesn't really understand what you are about. Or perhaps worse they do and vote for you anyway.

Edited by Nparker, 06 May 2018 - 12:39 PM.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

I voted for Madoff and I know what she’s about.

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,403 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:35 PM

I voted for Madoff and I know what she’s about.

That just proves my point.  ;)

• rjag and Bob Fugger like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users