Photo

Townhomes in the CRD?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:42 PM

I have a friend whose family is not happy with raising kids in a 2-bed condo, but he can't afford a detached SFH in most of the region either. I've tried searching for townhomes on his behalf but there doesn't seem to be much stock that's significantly cheaper than a detached SFH. Even stuff in Langford is expensive since they're newly built. 

Are there older, more affordable townhome clusters that are worth probing for potential sales? Or do they just disappear the moment they hit the market?  

#2 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:53 PM

I have a friend whose family is not happy with raising kids in a 2-bed condo, but he can't afford a detached SFH in most of the region either. I've tried searching for townhomes on his behalf but there doesn't seem to be much stock that's significantly cheaper than a detached SFH. Even stuff in Langford is expensive since they're newly built.

Are there older, more affordable townhome clusters that are worth probing for potential sales? Or do they just disappear the moment they hit the market?

Havent you heard, affordable housing is about being a permanent renter and taking transit, not something so bourgeois as having children and raising a family
  • FirstTimeHomeCrier likes this

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,393 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:22 AM

...Are there older, more affordable townhome clusters that are worth probing for potential sales? Or do they just disappear the moment they hit the market?  

None of the 3 bedroom townhouses in my complex (there are 8 of them) come up for sale very often. In fact, 3 of them are still occupied by their original owners (since 1994). IIRC none of the others have ever stayed on the market long. 

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:43 AM

It's too bad the townhouse/rowhouse concept never really caught on in Victoria.

• Nparker, tedward and jonny like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:50 AM

Three or four years back you could buy a newer 3 bed 1600 sqft townhome in the core for like $420k. Crazy how times have changed.

#6 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:51 AM

Plus du/tri/quadplexes. It's too bad.

#7 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:51 AM

If you look at local houses built 100 years ago or older they are often on narrow lots, shoulder to shoulder.

New arrivals to Victoria from points east carried with them bad memories of the crumbling row houses and subsidized council flats back home and instead looked toward the new subdivisions on old farmland in places like Gordon Head and Broadmead where the lots were wide and the massive, broad CMHC mid-century modern SFD was sweeping Canada.

So true townhomes never took hold except recently in isolated pockets, like some of Zebra Design's projects like Carberry Gardens.

3887a37cb8f170d1b54360ce510c0c99.jpeg

• tedward likes this

#8 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:08 PM

let alone fee-simple townhomes 

#9 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:19 PM

I think townhomes in Parkside Place are going for $375 ish these days. There is a nice one listed right now. 1200sq ft 3 bed 1.5 bathrooms, nice seasonal pool, reasonable strata fees and very well maintained. Great family complex.

Matt.

Wow. Ok it was listed at $385, sold with no conditions in six days for $415. Keep your eye on this complex, they come up once in a while, real hidden gem IMO.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 27 May 2018 - 03:21 PM.

• rambaldi likes this

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,393 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:24 PM

mods: please delete.

Edited by Nparker, 27 May 2018 - 03:27 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#11 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:29 PM

^ that’s from 2016, but yeah you get the idea. I always told people they were everything you need and nothing you don’t.

Here’s the one that just sold for $415. Some upgrades.

https://www.sellvict...91570-victoria/

Matt.
  • rambaldi likes this

#12 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:43 PM

Matt are those rental restricted at all?
  • Matt R. likes this

#13 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:51 PM

Townhomes in goldstream around 500-600k

#14 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:58 PM

Matt are those rental restricted at all?

Yes. If memory serves, the complex is limited to five rentals at a time. People just apply to get on th list then wait.

Matt.

#15 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:20 PM

Appreciate the input, and your insight specifically Matt. Do you know if the townhome was sold from the outside? Since it doesn't say so on the listing.

#16 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:21 PM

Sold from the outside of what?

Matt.

#17 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:25 PM

I just meant in the sense that the listing is still available, so my question was whether you had insider knowledge to know that the listing was in fact sold.

#18 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:28 PM

Oh. Well not especially, just looking at the listing on my PCS portal shows that info.

Matt.

#19 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:36 PM

I see, shot the realtor an email just in case it's still available. I suppose this sort of housing stock is a rarity in the CRD, sadly... 

#20 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:50 PM

Yes I suppose so. We bought in 2008, back when the area was considered “tillicum”, now I see the listings all say “uptown”.

Thanks to the new mortgage rules we’ve seen an uptick in selling prices the last little while, and you gotta love those original oak floors. They all have them but most are covered up by carpet.

This listing had some polish on it, many of them are not as nice but don’t need much more than a kitchen and bathroom facelift. Set your PCS search for this complex, I bet we see some in the $350-375 range.

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users