Highway 14 / Sooke Road / West Coast Road

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:20 PM

The province has released a document outlining improvements to the Highway 14 corridor between Langford and Sooke.

Have a read: https://www2.gov.bc....ay14-boards.pdf

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 moretrain

moretrain
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:00 AM

Isnt this now a priority because the Premier lives out that way? I dont disagree that some of the twists and turns need attention, but at the same time, if a driver is following the posted speed limits, it is far from dangerous. The proposals dont even seem to increase capacity, which would be the biggest reason to give this stretch a makeover in my mind.

Attention should instead be given to Old Island Highway to increase capacity to deal with the crawl in the morning, and Sooke Road from Old Island to 6 Mile to assist with afternoon traffic.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:04 AM

I think the primary issue is the lack of a secondary route. Sooke has no hospital, so either you build a hospital out that way or you need to figure out a way to enable people to move to and from the rapidly growing town.

The current road leaves a very low margin of error being windy and heavily used. One small mistake sends you over the line and into oncoming traffic.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:04 AM

...Attention should instead be given to Old Island Highway to increase capacity to deal with the crawl in the morning, and Sooke Road from Old Island to 6 Mile to assist with afternoon traffic.

You mean restoring it to at least its "pre-beautification" standards through View Royal?

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:06 AM

Renfrew is also shaping up as a second Tofino. It’s going to become a vacationing mecca and investment along the Highway 14 corridor will inevitably follow.

Know it all.

#6 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:07 AM

You mean restoring it to at least its "pre-beautification" standards through View Royal?

Did it used to be four-laned or something?  What did the beautification specifically do to the capacity/flow?  (This was before my time here I presume.)

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:10 AM

Did it used to be four-laned or something?...

It wasn't entirely 4-lane, but I swear traffic used to move through the area faster than it does now. Millions were spent to ensure that capacity was kept unnecessarily low.

Edited by Nparker, 20 June 2018 - 11:26 AM.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:16 AM

I seem to recall a portion of Craigflower Road was three or four lanes. Have I got that right?

Know it all.

#9 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:19 AM

It wasn't 4-lane, but I swear traffic used to move through the area faster than it does now. Millions were spent to ensure that capacity was kept unnecessarily low.

I think I remember four lanes... no median, no bike lanes.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:21 AM

Right. I can’t for the life of me remember the lane layouts though and how they changed between Victoria, Esquimalt and finally View Royal.

Know it all.

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:24 AM

I seem to recall a portion of Craigflower Road was three or four lanes. Have I got that right?

I think I remember four lanes... no median, no bike lanes.

I think portions previously had passing lanes. Capacity certainly wasn't increased with the "beautification" project.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:25 AM

It was four lanes between Admirals and Helmcken, according to some stuff I’m finding online.

Which means so was Craigflower, but maybe three lanes? I distinctly remember traffic would flow very easily through there.

Know it all.

#13 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:58 PM

Renfrew is also shaping up as a second Tofino. It’s going to become a vacationing mecca and investment along the Highway 14 corridor will inevitably follow.

If they could find a way to extend Hwy 14 to connect directly with Ucluelet and Tofino...

#14 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

If they could find a way to extend Hwy 14 to connect directly with Ucluelet and Tofino...

Through a park. Never going to happen and stupid expensive.

#15 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:56 PM

I know its a pipe dream :P. It doesn't have to go through any park though. The inlet that goes to Port Alberni is the main issue. Oh well.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:36 AM

It’s just a matter of paving existing logging mainlines that are already used as de facto highways by First Nations communities and the logging industry to travel between Cowichan and the Alberni Valley. They also connect Bamfield from both of the areas.

It’s 100% possible and, in fact, wide roadbeds are already in place. The road between Renfrew and Cowichan was such a road until it was paved.

I’ve travelled between Renfrew and Port Alberni too many times to recall, now that I think about it.

Know it all.

#17 splashflash

splashflash
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:35 AM

Perhaps this would be completed together with the natural gas pipeline. The Gordon River Main was the usual route between Renfrew and Alberni until the Masachie Lake to Renfrew road was paved, wasn't it?

https://www.bclocaln...ad-to-bamfield/

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:40 AM

Gordon River was one route and the (then) unpaved Mesachie Lake route was another. It really depended on how adventurous you wanted to be as they more or less spit you out in the same area, but the Mesachie Lake route was less likely to be snowed in and was more travelled.

Gordon River Main as of last summer is in pretty good shape, albeit the first few kilometers as you near and pass Avatar Grove is (or was) in need of maintenance.

• lanforod likes this

Know it all.

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:35 PM

Part of the route between the Cowichan Lake Road and Port Alberni on the way to Bamfield is actually paved though it is actually the worst part of the road to drive on because it hasn't been well maintained. I honestly think that if Hwy 14 was just fixed up Port Renfrew would be almost as popular as Tofino. There is some magic sauce holding it back but once that happens, the place is going to boom. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:51 PM

Oh yeah! There’s like a 3km portion that’s paved.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users