Photo

Municipality Of Esquimalt Mayor & Council General Discussion

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 10:41 AM

The 2018 Esquimalt Municipal Election is upon us.

The current Mayor Barb Desjardins is running for re-election

New Mayoral candidate: John Roe

Current Council Members running for re-election: Tim Morrison, Meagan Brame, & Linda Hundleby

New Council Candidates:

Ken Armour

Veronica Greer

Jacob Helliwell

Andrew Hrushowy

Chris Munkacsi

Stephane Vaudandaine

Jane Vermeulen

Currently  John Roe has my full support to replace Desjardins

And the only council candidate that I am sold on so far is Ken Armour. He is the only one I have looked into so far.

[attachment=21229:Esquimalt.jpg]

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 06 October 2018 - 10:45 AM.

#2 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 01:16 PM

Im voting for ken armour, jacob helliwell, chris munkacsi, and jane vermeulen. No incumbents and probably skip mayor altogether
  • Mystic-Pizza likes this

#3 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 01:41 PM

Im voting for ken armour, jacob helliwell, chris munkacsi, and jane vermeulen. No incumbents and probably skip mayor altogether

I've only checked out ken, but I will start checking out all the other candidates this week. I like ken's vision of Esquimalt become the ARTS HUB of GV. This part of town needs more ARTS in it. 

Perhaps even a Theatre for live performances etc. would be nice.

I Want Morrison OUT though. I don't like his attitude at town hall meetings towards his constituency. He was quite ignorant to a friend of mine once. And Desjardins was a total COW to another friend of mine too.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 06 October 2018 - 01:45 PM.

#4 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 03:13 PM

The TC Has a page that lists all of the Esquimalt candidates website information and social media pages etc.  I encourage all Esquimalt Residents that visit Vibrant Victoria forum to check into each candidates web page and election platform.

https://www.timescol...tion-1.23412957

I have done some good research this afternoon on the candidates and have eliminated Veronica Greer, Chris Munkascsi, and Stephane Vaudandaine from who I will be voting for based  on their election platforms.

Dr. Jane Vermueulen  is my top pick. She has an excellent election platform and she is a real family oriented woman who's vision for Esquimalt definitely matches many of the things I would like to see, including her very Pro-Rental market stance.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 06 October 2018 - 03:19 PM.

#5 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:07 AM

You can vote today

ESQUIMALT  Advance voting

• Oct. 10, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. — Municipal Hall council chambers, 1229 Esquimalt Rd.

• Oct. 17, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. — Municipal Hall council chambers, 1229 Esquimalt Rd.

https://www.timescol...vote-1.23457904

#6 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:57 AM

You can vote today

I'll get down there after work. I have all my council candidates selected (not that many passed my screening) But at least 2-3 of them will get my vote, and of course the NEW Mayoral candidate.

#7 NotHudsonMack

NotHudsonMack
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:08 AM

Never lived in esquimalt but from what I have seen I really like Armour and Vermulen for council. 

#8 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:39 PM

Never lived in esquimalt but from what I have seen I really like Armour and Vermulen for council. 

Good man......I'm voting for both of them in about 30 minutes in the advance polls.

Vermulen has one of the best platforms I've seen for a municipal election in years. She will be a very good thing for Esquimalt. And with 3 of the current council members NOT running for re-election they both have an excellent chance of getting elected.

• shoeflack likes this

#9 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:11 PM

Just an important reminder to Esquimalt Voters, that Mayor Barb Desjardins is just as Guilty as Mayor Helps in the Elsner investigation.

You can listen to Adam Stirling's Excellent Interview on C-Fax where he calls her out.. Listen to this before you go to your voting station.

http://www.iheartrad...oplay=1.8464605

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 13 October 2018 - 12:15 PM.

#10 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:53 PM

As lead co-chair at the time of the Elsner disclosure, Desjardins has much more to answer for than Helps.

Desjardins was driving the bus because it was her turn at the wheel and this view is strengthened when you consider their respective responses. Helps' brief defensive statement insists she was merely following lawyers' guidance and that it was time to move on. Compare this to Desjardins' statement that was a lengthy and very firm denial, that is dramatically different than the facts set out in Lowe's report.

#11 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:10 PM

I would need to dig back through the responses from Helps and Desjardins, but I am sure they each implied that they were either required by various acts to oversee the internal investigation or that they didn’t want to do it in the first place.

From what I have read, this approach is misleading. They could have easily handed this off to the OPCC.

#12 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:13 PM

As lead co-chair at the time of the Elsner disclosure, Desjardins has much more to answer for than Helps.

Desjardins was driving the bus because it was her turn at the wheel and this view is strengthened when you consider their respective responses. Helps' brief defensive statement insists she was merely following lawyers' guidance and that it was time to move on. Compare this to Desjardins' statement that was a lengthy and very firm denial, that is dramatically different than the facts set out in Lowe's report.

I have no doubt that Desjardins was the TRUE ringleader in the Elsner Cover-Up and Helps made the choice to go along with it.  While Helps has her tent city, bike lanes, failed cross walk art, speed limit reduction, failure to be traditionally sworn in, and the removal of a statue of one of Canada's Founders .....Desjardins has her own long list of Failures in Esquimalt and poor attitude towards her constituency. Desjardins main issue is that her HEAD has grown one size bigger each year she has sat as Mayor of Esquimalt. Now it's time for her to face the music and answer for her wrongful ways.  Her ONLY competition is a very smart and well accomplished man who is making no effort to be in the Public Light during his run for Mayor. While I have already Voted for John Roe, most Esquimaltites don't even know who he is.  He needs to make his voice heard more if he wants to dethrone the Desjardins party.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 13 October 2018 - 08:18 PM.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#13 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:20 PM

Didn't this happen around the time Esquimalt wanted to walk away from VicPD and embrace the RCMP? I can see Helps wanting to prevent that by covering up Elsner's misdeeds. Recall that the previous two chiefs, Jamie Graham and Paul Battershill both were problematic and there was probably a lot of fear that Elsner would be three strikes you're out and the Esquimalt/Victoria partnership would collapse as Esquimalt could say Victoria can't be trusted to provide a competent chief.

#14 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:21 PM

I would need to dig back through the responses from Helps and Desjardins, but I am sure they each implied that they were either required by various acts to oversee the internal investigation or that they didn’t want to do it in the first place.

From what I have read, this approach is misleading. They could have easily handed this off to the OPCC.

And yet neither of them did.

#15 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:26 PM

Didn't this happen around the time Esquimalt wanted to walk away from VicPD and embrace the RCMP? I can see Helps wanting to prevent that by covering up Elsner's misdeeds. Recall that the previous two chiefs, Jamie Graham and Paul Battershill both were problematic and there was probably a lot of fear that Elsner would be three strikes you're out and the Esquimalt/Victoria partnership would collapse as Esquimalt could say Victoria can't be trusted to provide a competent chief.

I think the RCMP/VIC PD thing happened just before the Elsner Soap Opera began. That being said, Esquimalt was on the verge of contracting the RCMP and at the last moment went with the Vic PD (which was just one of Desjardins Major screw ups)  Being  a long time Esquimalt resident, I can personally attest to the fact that Esquimalt  is completely neglected when it comes to police presence. They are here, but at such a minimal level it's a total Joke.  We need once again a Dedicated Police force that operates entirely within the borders of the Municipality of Esquimalt.  The RCMP were a much less expensive option as well, yet Desjardins took a deal with Vic PD.

#16 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:55 PM

I think the RCMP/VIC PD thing happened just before the Elsner Soap Opera began. That being said, Esquimalt was on the verge of contracting the RCMP and at the last moment went with the Vic PD (which was just one of Desjardins Major screw ups)  Being  a long time Esquimalt resident, I can personally attest to the fact that Esquimalt  is completely neglected when it comes to police presence. They are here, but at such a minimal level it's a total Joke.  We need once again a Dedicated Police force that operates entirely within the borders of the Municipality of Esquimalt.  The RCMP were a much less expensive option as well, yet Desjardins took a deal with Vic PD.

Just curious which general part of the muni you live in M-P?

I can't speak for other Esquimalt neighborhoods of course, but we're in the Selkirk neighborhood - not exactly crime central granted, and certainly one of the better hoods in the core muni's IMO - but in general I've no problem with the VPD presence; they'll cruise through and around periodically, at least enough so that people are aware of them.

The Tillicum bridge is a long time police favorite target for consistent road-checks for drinking drivers, as is that stretch of Craigflower near Banfield Park (yes I know that is technically the CoV but its right on the border so close enough), where over the years they've set up numerous speed and seat belt checks.

#17 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:45 PM

I think the RCMP/VIC PD thing happened just before the Elsner Soap Opera began. That being said, Esquimalt was on the verge of contracting the RCMP and at the last moment went with the Vic PD (which was just one of Desjardins Major screw ups) Being a long time Esquimalt resident, I can personally attest to the fact that Esquimalt is completely neglected when it comes to police presence. They are here, but at such a minimal level it's a total Joke. We need once again a Dedicated Police force that operates entirely within the borders of the Municipality of Esquimalt. The RCMP were a much less expensive option as well, yet Desjardins took a deal with Vic PD.

Yeah I dunno. I actually think the VicPD do a better job in Esquimalt than they do in Victoria. That said if RCMP is cheaper than great do that.

That John guy is running for fun and does not expect to win. Sorry but it’s gonna be Desjardins

Edit to say I have lived in a couple different Victoria neighbourhoods as well and police presence was nil

Edited by RFS, 13 October 2018 - 09:48 PM.

#18 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:43 AM

Yeah I dunno. I actually think the VicPD do a better job in Esquimalt than they do in Victoria. That said if RCMP is cheaper than great do that.

That John guy is running for fun and does not expect to win. Sorry but it’s gonna be Desjardins

Edit to say I have lived in a couple different Victoria neighbourhoods as well and police presence was nil

I think John Roe's bid for Mayor's seat was legit at first, but then "They" Got to him, and told him to forget about it.  Real shame, as 4 more years of Desjardins is gonna be like having 4 more years of Trudeau. So Sadly I must predict that Desjardins will be re-elected, and Helps will not.  At least one of them will be out. Unless by some miracle people in Esquimalt have actually been paying attention. But how can they when Esquimalt elections gets little to no public media attention or coverage, not even a live debate.

Sadly I think most that live in Esqimalt do not follow our local Esquimalt politics at all. 

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 14 October 2018 - 04:47 AM.

#19 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,322 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:07 AM

is there really not a single debate? while victoria has over 20 events?

#20 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:19 AM

is there really not a single debate? while victoria has over 20 events?

I have yet to see or hear of one being advertised.on the Municipality Of Esquimalt website under their elections tab, or by any other means.

Zip, zero, ziltch............very odd if you ask me. It's as if John Roe has been asked to run as a MOCK Candidate with absolutely no intention of actually being Mayor.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 14 October 2018 - 07:21 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users