BUILT
McClure Terraces
Use: rental
Address: 1038 McClure Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
McClure Terraces is a four-storey rental complex situated along the 1000-block of McClure Street in the City o... (view full profile)
Learn more about McClure Terraces on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] McClure Terraces | Rentals | 4-storeys | Completed - built in 2019

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:47 AM

1038 McClure today.

1038 McClure Panorama lo rez.jpg

#2 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:37 AM

Does anyone know who the developer is on this project?

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:13 AM

It looks like Stella McClure Investments.

Original developer was Mountain West, but I don't think they're around any more under that name. Their office at Upper Harbour Place in Vic West is also closed.

• E2V likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:40 AM

This was an odd site,  it was ready to go ahead years ago but I heard the developer/owner died which put the whole thing on hold.  It became a construction staging area for a nearby project, then seemingly abandoned again with a lot of dumped waste starting to pile up.  Residents had to contact the city to get the construction waste and piles of old mattresses hauled off.  Nice to see something finally happening.

Edited by Baro, 07 November 2018 - 10:41 AM.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#5 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:01 AM

This was an odd site,  it was ready to go ahead years ago but I heard the developer/owner died which put the whole thing on hold.  It became a construction staging area for a nearby project, then seemingly abandoned again with a lot of dumped waste starting to pile up.  Residents had to contact the city to get the construction waste and piles of old mattresses hauled off.  Nice to see something finally happening.

To the best of my knowledge, this property was owned by the same person/group who owned the entire site to the west on McClure.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:15 AM

Are you referring to 1011 Burdett? It was developed by Mountain West Properties right around the time the company was pursuing approvals for 1038 McClure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:28 AM

Are you referring to 1011 Burdett? It was developed by Mountain West Properties right around the time the company was pursuing approvals for 1038 McClure.

Yes.

Both properties were the home of Fairfield's last "hippy" homes.  :)

Edited by N E Body, 07 November 2018 - 11:29 AM.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:34 PM

Hippy homes? Do tell.

Know it all.

#9 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:10 PM

I wish I had photos, Mike. The homes and the inhabitants always took me back to my days in Vancouver in the late 60s, early 70s.
The house on the west end of McClure was easily 1890s and quite different from anything I've seen in the area. The one east of that sat next to a vacant lot and must have had at least 4 additions added over time. I believe that both households knew each other.
  • Mike K. likes this

#10 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:13 PM

I should add that the same owner owned the properties on Burdett as well. They were in quite bad shape. One of them eventually went up in flames.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:25 PM

Wow. I love stories like that. So much of Fairfield was full of gorgeous homes that disappeared black-by-block to make way for four-storey 60's-vintage buildings.

Know it all.

#12 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:36 PM

Almost forgot... the house that now fronts onto the west end of McClure, sandwiched between the apartment building and the garage entry for 1011 Burdett, once faced onto Burdett until they moved it over to McClure to work on 1011.

#13 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:51 PM

I've heard this is going to be rental, but I can't confirm that.

Attached Images

• IMG_2377.jpg
  • IMG_2378.jpg
  • IMG_2379.jpg
  • IMG_2380.jpg

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:38 AM

Thank you!

It likely will be, considering no sales have been launched.

Know it all.

#15 Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 02:33 PM

Definitely rental. It's being managed by Devon Properties: https://devonpropert...m/1038-mcclure/

I live on the same block. One of the workers told me they'd combined a couple of the original suites (plans spoke of 39).  Devon now says 34.

The details are pretty limited--an artist's conception and a registration form. That form does have checkboxes for four rent ranges:

• $1675 to $1850 per month
  • $1850 to $2100 per month
  • $2100 to $2400 per month
  • More than $2400 per month

Looking back at the unit summary in the Tender Victoria link above, the suite sizes were:

• 899 sf - 3 units
  • 861 sf - 1 unit
  • 753 sf - 8 units
  • 603 sf - 1 unit
  • 500 - 600 sf range - 23 units
  • 495 sf - 3 units

• Mike K. and Kungsberg like this

#16 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:46 AM

The sign says renting Fall 2019.

Attached Images

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:48 AM

The brickwork is nice, but the abundance of horizontal planking once again cheapens the overall look of the project.

#18 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:01 AM

I've been flip-flopping on this one but I think it ended up looking much better than I was expecting. I like the tall & narrow windows and the panels in the glass. The overall design suggests a large rooming house sort of place so I'd say that siding isn't inappropriate. And I like that they dared to use a different colour for some of the siding, too. Off the top of my head I can't think of another development that closely resembles this place so I give it a thumbs up.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:01 AM

I think this is one more condo-turned-rental, as in it received approvals as a condo and switched to rental (as several local projects have done in recent years).

Know it all.

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:25 AM

The siding, while much more appropriate here than on a number of other recent projects (Capital Park, 1008 Pandora etc.), just doesn't really add anything to the project, IMO. They do seem to have made good choices in regards to windows and balcony railings. As it appears to today, I'd give this a 7.5/10. Slightly more use of brick (I know, me endorsing red brick) and I think this could be a real winner.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users