Juan de Fuca Curling Centre closed

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:58 AM

The JDF Curling Centre along the Old Island Highway was abruptly closed yesterday by Westshore Parks and Rec. It has/had a membership of 500 curlers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:05 AM

even huggett admits they did not consult with members.  odd.

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:30 AM

From what I understand a more lucrative use is in plan for the space.

#4 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:32 AM

From what I understand a more lucrative use is in plan for the space.

It's being converted to dry floor, which is more flexible and has more programming options. Apparently the rink was only booked about 20% of the time, and the subsidy per user was almost triple that of other facilities.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:33 AM

at only 20% usage a more lucrative plan surely can be had.  curling sheets unfortunately do not have much multi-use potential.

#6 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:08 AM

Hopefully the closure (along with Glen Meadows closing last year) will help grow membership and revenues at the Victoria and Esquimalt clubs. That's a drop from 30 to 16 sheets of ice in the last two years.

I didn't play there often, but always thought JDF had the best ice of the four local clubs.

#7 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:15 AM

I've read a lot about the demographics of golf and the future of golf courses but what about curling? Are the schools still sending kids to the curling rinks on class trips? 

#8 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:30 AM

I've read a lot about the demographics of golf and the future of golf courses but what about curling? 

Five years ago, it felt like my team was one of a handful under 40 at the VCC, but the last few years there's been a lot of really good young teams around. The club has a really good junior program, and maybe has been spurred on by a team from BC winning gold at the World Juniors the last 2 years.

I think the biggest challenge is finding people under age 80 who can actually make good curling ice and maintain the facilities.

I enjoy golf in the summer just as much, but it's way too bloody expensive to play more than a couple of rounds a year. Curling is at least pretty affordable (annual membership is about $300, and you can use equipment at the club for free if you don't have your own).

• Rob Randall likes this

#9 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:57 AM

I've read a lot about the demographics of golf and the future of golf courses but what about curling? Are the schools still sending kids to the curling rinks on class trips? 

My kid went last year (I think) when he was in grade 6. 

• Mike K., Rob Randall and Victoria Watcher like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#10 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:33 PM

Hopefully the closure (along with Glen Meadows closing last year) will help grow membership and revenues at the Victoria and Esquimalt clubs. That's a drop from 30 to 16 sheets of ice in the last two years.

Isn't the plan with RG to shut down the VCC and replace it with the pool?

#11 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:46 PM

My kid went last year (I think) when he was in grade 6. 

It's a time honoured middle school tradition to huck the rock as hard as you can down the ice to try and take out that jerk Duane in Div. 3.

• tedward likes this

#12 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:48 PM

no it’s suppposed to go in the arena parking lot. removing parking spaces.

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:51 PM

no it’s suppposed to go in the arena parking lot. removing parking spaces.

I am almost certain I recall reading the hope was to create a multi-use facility on both the parking space and the current VCC location. Then again it's hard to know exactly where things stand with the Crystal Pool project. The whole thing seems rather fluid (pun intended).

• sdwright.vic likes this

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:55 PM

In a major issue for the sport nationwide, only 18 of the Juan de Curling Club’s 520 participants are youth members.
“Most of our members are seniors, too,” said Sherman, of the similar situation in the Esquimalt Club.

https://www.timescol...club-1.23670370

#15 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:39 PM

So in a bid by my wife for us to get out together and engage in another physical activity - I'm already in the gym 3x/week and we're swimming twice weekly, I found myself at Archie Browning arena last night for......ahem.....curling. Oh goody: six weeks' lessons for the completely useless and utterly disinterested first time curler. Attempting to make her see the light beforehand by explaining if I had any burning desire whatsoever to curl I surely would've done so well before age 59, led precisely nowhere of course. The married male posters on VV know exactly how that conversation goes. The male half of the couple has two chances of prevailing. Namely Zero and None......

So promptly at 7pm there I/we were learning the finer points of proper shoe etiquette so as not to ruin the "pebbling" of the ice so carefully prepared by the arena ice making team. Want to annoy the crap out of a municipal worker? Just you dare to damage arena ice with a poorly thought out choice of curling footwear......

My first observations included, among the 15 or so novices in the group, was that our average age was certainly north of 45. I was not the oldest 'student' thankfully. The oldest person was probably 70 and the youngest was maybe 35.

Second in spite of the fact I have lots of outdoor gear designed to keep me warm, after about an hour I was decidedly anything but warm. Its fricken' cold in those rinks! Or perhaps I'm just getting older and can't regulate my body heat like I used to?

Third being physically strong isn't necessarily an advantage as I discovered (per our instructor, "Rick the idea is not to send a 42 pound rock whizzing down the ice with sufficient velocity to take out the far side of the arena..."). Oh. Really? Sorry!

Third my doctor wasn't kidding at a recent appointment when he mentioned as a result of hockey, rugby, men's fast-pitch and 40 years in gyms squatting heavy weights, my knees aren't exactly in the best shape. Both are becoming arthritic - this as you can imagine is not an advantage in curling. Like...at all......

So much so as the instructor pointed out "older players" so afflicted - like moi - are excused from the traditional curling form, i.e. crouching down and using a 'slider' on one shoe and pushing off from the hack with the other dominant foot - by standing (yay!!!), pushing off the hack and using a broom to push the rock down the ice to the house....most excellent!!! S*** even I can do that. Means of course that I'm relegated to the senior's division. Or the Crippled League. I guess I'll have my pick....

Finally, and in spite of my trepidation I discovered that curling is actually.......kinda fun. I'm actually looking forward to the rest of the sessions. And hopefully - maybe - being able to actually assume the regular position and curl normally - without putting a dent in the arena wall....

• Mike K., LJ, lanforod and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users