APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1565 replies to this topic

#1 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:10 AM

Harris-Green-Village-shopping-centre-and-nearby-Dodge-dealership-site-in-store-for-redevelopment.jpg

The 900-block of Yates Street's Harris Green Village, home to retailers that include London Drugs, the Market of Yates and Bosley's, is in-store for a major redevelopment play at the hands of its Ontario-based owners. The group also plans to redevelop the Harris Victoria Chrysler dealership one block east which the company recently acquired. 

Harris Green Village shopping centre and nearby Dodge dealership slated for redevelopment

https://victoria.cit...-redevelopment/

Downtown Victoria’s Harris Green Village shopping, home to retailers that include London Drugs, the Market on Yates and Bosley’s, is the focus of one of the largest downtown Victoria redevelopment efforts in recent history.

Downtown Victoria’s Harris Green Village shopping, home to retailers that include London Drugs, the Market on Yates and Bosley’s, is the focus of one of the largest downtown Victoria redevelopment efforts in recent history.

Ontario-based Starlight Investments – a key player in North America's rental housing and retail leasing industries with 36,000-units of apartments and 6.2 million square feet of commercial space in its portfolio – is in the early stages of planning the future of the Yates Street shopping node (spanning the 900-blocks of Yates and View streets) while also pursuing redevelopment plans for its recent purchase of the nearby Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge automotive dealership (situated along the 1000-blocks of Yates and View streets at Cook Street). [Full article]

Community meetings:

June 13th (5-8PM) and 15th (11AM-2PM) at Christ Church Cathedral's Chapel of the New Jerusalem located mid-way up the 900-block of Burdett Avenue (between Quadra and Vancouver streets).

Project website: www.HarrisGreen.ca

An aerial of Starlight's holdings.

Starlight-Investments-Harris-Green.jpg

• victorian likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:36 AM

Not to be a negative nelly, but I hope this doesn't stall out like the University Heights proposal.

#3 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:55 AM

T-C article: https://www.timescol...oria-1.23838651

#4 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:22 AM

The London Drugs plaza defines Harris Green, and for the most part over the decades it's evolved into a successful mixed-use development. It's a magnet for the neighbourhood, offering just about every service you need. I know whatever replaces it will have more residential density but I hope it also offers similar commercial diversity.

• Nparker, Marilyn, jonny and 2 others like this

#5 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:49 AM

The London Drugs plaza defines Harris Green, and for the most part over the decades it's evolved into a successful mixed-use development. It's a magnet for the neighbourhood, offering just about every service you need. I know whatever replaces it will have more residential density but I hope it also offers similar commercial diversity.

I could be totally wrong, but I sense that additional density on the site might be concentrated at the Yates/Quadra corner (surface lot and existing MoY building) leaving much of the rest of the site 'as is' but with upgraded facades etc.  There is definitely an opportunity to improve the View Street-facing areas of the plaza (around the liquor store) as these spaces are largely less successful from a commercial and pedestrian interfacing perspective. 

The Chrysler lot is a blank slate and could accommodate substantial residential density, but I imagine that the dealership building may wind up being preserved (it's not heritage-listed but it definitely got an art deco flair).  Apparently it was a Volkswagen dealership at one point in its history...

• Rob Randall likes this

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:05 AM

My understanding is the whole block will be redeveloped, save for the condos on Vancouver and View and there might be a small parcel Starlight doesn’t own on the block, but then again they may have acquired the whole thing since the 2016 Harris Green Village purchase.

There are also offices above London Drugs which many don’t realize exist.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:05 AM

Gosh, we're there every week. I hope it doesn't lose London Drugs and turn into some sort of highrise nightmare construction site. My husband's eye doctor is in that building too. He can walk there which is helpful for dilated pupils.

Edited by mbjj, 30 May 2019 - 07:07 AM.

• Alice likes this

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:08 AM

London Drugs will definitely remain a fixture of the project, but I'm not certain about Market on Yates.

I know that there is the option of phasing construction such that, say, London Drugs could remain in operation while its new store is built. Then the switch-over would be relatively seamless. But I don't think that would be possible for Market on Yates unless the store opts to move to the Chrysler property or they can figure out a way to keep the store open while fitting its future space on a smaller footprint, maybe?

• Alice likes this

Know it all.

#9 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:09 AM

My understanding is the whole block will be redeveloped, save for the condos on Vancouver and View and there might be a small parcel Starlight doesn’t own on the block, but then again they may have acquired the whole thing since the 2016 Harris Green Village purchase.

There are also offices above London Drugs which many don’t realize exist.

Mike, are those condos at View and Vancouver? I have never seen one listed for sale, so I always assumed it was a rental building.

• DougG likes this

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:15 AM

Hmm, you might be right. They could be rentals.

Know it all.

#11 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:15 AM

Supposedly the Market on Yates is "thrilled" by the redevelopment. 

Per the T-C article: 

"“We are thrilled that Starlight wants to redevelop the Harris Green site, and we are fully supportive of their new development that will include us,” wrote Darryl Hein, owner of The Market Stores in an email."

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:49 AM

So what other brand new developments have they done that would compare to this?

#13 Alice

Alice
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:30 AM

The area between the Market and London Drugs also includes the walk-in clinic, which is already stretched by current neighbourhood demand. Somewhere there will have to be a sizeable medical facility.

#14 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:32 AM

The area between the Market and London Drugs also includes the walk-in clinic, which is already stretched by current neighbourhood demand. Somewhere there will have to be a sizeable medical facility.

I think that clinic is already slated to close this summer, if I recall a news story from a couple of months ago?

Edited by gstc84, 30 May 2019 - 09:33 AM.

#15 Alice

Alice
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:36 AM

I think that clinic is already slated to close this summer, if I recall a news story from a couple of months ago?

Yikes! I hadn't heard that. Thanks for the heads-up!

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:36 AM

Yikes! I hadn't heard that. Thanks for the heads-up!

https://www.cheknews...o-close-549461/

#17 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:37 AM

Hmm, you might be right. They could be rentals.

From Starlight's website:

Capture.JPG

• Mike K. likes this

#18 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:45 AM

I remember being disappointed when this residential component was added to the Harris Green Village that something taller wasn't built. The current configuration is far too low density for the neighbourhood.

#19 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:46 AM

...I would hope we don’t need to cover every single inch of our downtown with multi-storey buildings,” he said. “We don’t want to lose green space...

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:50 AM

#housingcrisis

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users