PROPOSED
780 Blanshard Street - residential
Uses: condo, hotel
Address: 780 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: in planning
780 Blanshard Street is a proposal to construct a 20-storey mixed-use hotel and residential complex within and... (view full profile)
Learn more about 780 Blanshard Street - residential on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] 780 Blanshard Street | B.C. Power Commission | Residential; hotel | 22-storeys

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 jstovell

jstovell
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 01:43 PM

Reliance Properties is buying 780 Blanshard. Watch for interesting things to come:

https://www.dropbox....RwKitaGVqa?dl=0

• Nparker and Hotel Mike like this

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:20 PM

Reliance Properties is buying 780 Blanshard. Watch for interesting things to come:

Perhaps an interesting condo/residential rental conversion?

#3 jstovell

jstovell
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:28 PM

Residential, Office, or Hotel are all options. With a multi-storey addition:

https://www.dropbox....shgold.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox....ankiya.jpg?dl=0

• Nparker likes this

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:43 PM

Thanks, John.

How high can you go there, and is the building currently tenanted?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 IPH

IPH
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 04:24 PM

That's the Ministry of Forest Lands and Natural Resource Operations, Crown Land Opportunities & Restoration Branch office. They must be moving/moved to Capital Park? Great old building with loads of potential, right in Reliance's sweet spot!

#6 jstovell

jstovell
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 04:28 PM

120' ish.

Building expected to be Vacated by mid 2020.

• Mike K. likes this

#7 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:16 AM

Art Deco-styled Victoria office complex sold to Vancouver developer; eyed for restoration, more floors

https://victoria.cit...wer-commission/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:46 AM

Brilliant! It will be great for this building to get new interest. It's a great art deco structure, but most of us whiz by it going up or down the hill at Blanshard. I hope the plans will expose the building more.

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:51 AM

...I hope the plans will expose the building more.

Agreed. The landscaping and connection to the public realm could use some improvement.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:54 AM

The building was painted 20 years ago by local artist Rick Thomas.

Know it all.

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:01 AM

Do we know if the 1990s paint job reflected the original design of the building? I seem to recall it was rather drab before then. Are any historic photos readily available?

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:04 AM

Here's a pic...

Another one...

Edited by aastra, 19 August 2019 - 10:06 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:32 AM

Thanks aastra. 

#14 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:34 PM

I'm actually a little surprised Reliance took this one on given the repeated 's*** sandwich' reception to their first hundred or so proposals for Northern Junk (sarcasm definitely intended), and still no guarantee their latest iteration for that site will be acceptable to the CoV.

And right on queue - no surprise whatsoever - the local "Old Victoria" FB group and a few other similarly-inclined groups where the ideology is that nothing in Victoria should Change. Like Ever - are going bananas over this one.

And, naturally, not in a good way. The general thrust is "how DARE those rat b*****d Vancouver developers attempt to change genteel little Victoria and try to make it in the mini-Devil Spawn image of YVR...!" I'm paraphrasing, but I'm close. I will say given its age and unique architectural form I would've assumed this building falls under some sort of heritage protection or covenant, thereby making any proposed physical changes awfully difficult - Yes/No? 

I'll be massively surprised if Reliance isn't in for a major battle on this one no matter what they come up with and no matter how sensitive their proposal(s) might be to the existing structure.

• Nparker likes this

#15 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:38 PM

We should absolutely do everything we can to be more like Vancouver

#16 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:15 PM

Says...who, exactly? I simply find it amusing the nimby-ites trot out that old (completely bogus) bogeyman whenever the subject of - horrors!...."Change" is discussed. Its the most laughable argument - "we'll look just like Vancouver!" Clearly there are some most excellent hallucinogenic drugs in Victoria....

Anyone who has actually ventured off the Rock and been to Vancouver - rather that wailing on and sniveling about it ad nauseum from their keyboard - will note that at pushing 3 million people its just slightly larger than the CRD with less than 400K (meaning we're significantly smaller than Surrey); not to mention that any of Burnaby, Surrey, North Vancouver or Richmond - all by themselves - have larger, taller, denser and infinitely more imposing skylines than Pokeyville by the Sea.

Look like Vancouver? Victoria couldn't look like Vancouver in 500 years - even it tried to. Below is a picture of the Vancouver skyline and another of Victoria: I defy anyone anywhere to convince me - with a straight face - that Mayberry-Ville, even with the develpment surge of the last decade, looks remotely or is "like Vancouver" in this or any other realm of Galactic Reality....

Attached Images

• YVR.jpg
  • YYJ.jpg

Edited by AllseeingEye, 19 August 2019 - 07:16 PM.

• DavidSchell likes this

#17 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:28 PM

I worked at 780 Blanshard for several years in the early 70's. A beautiful old building with so much potential. Will be watching this project with interest.

#18 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:36 PM

You, your kids, your grand kids, you great grands kids, etc will be long gone and dead before Victoria ever looks like Vancouver.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:40 PM

Vancouver accomplished what it did in 100 years. When Vancouver was a baby Victoria was a booming transport hub on the proverbial map of the west coast.

Victoria by its very nature will never be a Vancouver, but cities fall and cities rise. Winnipeg was once a megahub of commerce. Toronto was once just a shadow of Montreal. And Detroit was the place to make it.

Know it all.

#20 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:54 PM

Residential, Office, or Hotel are all options. With a multi-storey addition:

https://www.dropbox....shgold.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox....ankiya.jpg?dl=0

:D

c_iwan_baan_18.jpg?1482419593

elbphilharmonie_start_einzelkarten.jpg?1

https://www.archdail...g-and-de-meuron

Edited by amor de cosmos, 19 August 2019 - 07:57 PM.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users