i just presume it'll be in early 2020.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:48 PM

February of next year, the mayor says.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:47 PM

i believe the regulations at the house of commons prohibits a sitting member from holding other office - so i expect she must resign before she is sworn in as an mp  (mostly as a result of conflict of interest regulations)- until then she might as well collect her check from the city - no?

after her resignation date the city must follow the rules fir setting a by-election date

(4)As soon as practicable after a vacancy occurs for which an election under this section is to be held, the local government must

(a)appoint a chief election officer for the election, and

(b)notify the minister of the election.

(4.1)As soon as practicable after the appointment under subsection (4) (a), the chief election officer must notify the BC chief electoral officer of the election.

(5)The chief election officer must set a general voting day for the election, which must be on a Saturday no later than 80 days after the date the chief election officer was appointed.

so, maybe two weeks to appoint a a CEO, plus 80 days makes at most 94 days

lf she is sworn in by lets say oct 30, that makes e-day feb 4

#4 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,318 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:46 AM

isn’t she on an unpaid leave right now?

#5 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,318 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:49 AM

She continued to serve as councillor until the federal writ dropped on Sept. 11, then took unpaid leave until Oct. 25 to campaign. She plans to step down from council.

https://www.timescol...p-mp-1.23983851

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 October 2019 - 01:50 AM.

#6 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:33 AM

Hopefully, we will get just one strong moderate/centre-left candidate as an option, someone not annointed by the mayor or another Bentriloquist's Dummy from the Isitt assembly line.

Someone who would actually attempt to represent all (or even most) of their constituents.

Someone who understands that jacking up property taxes makes housing less affordable, not just for owners, but for renters.

Someone who actually thinks sexual harassment is a bad thing.

Someone who would be willing to call out the mayor or other councillors when they just blatantly, unapologetically waste our time and money.

Someone who truly wants to serve and make the city a better place to live, who isn't just running because they need a job or because of ego.

Someone who actually has good ideas (hell, ANY ideas) about how to reduce homelessness and addiction on out streets.
  • Nparker, GaryRanson, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:37 AM

Bentriloquist's Dummy from the Isitt assembly line...

You just made my day.  :thumbsup:

• GaryRanson, pennymurphy2000 and rmpeers like this

#8 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:41 PM

The first candidate has announced: https://www.facebook...remylcaradonna/. Bio:

I currently have two jobs. I work full time in British Columbia’s Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy in the Climate Action Secretariat, which is responsible for creating the policies that will help reduce B.C.’s emissions by 80% by 2050. I entered government in 2019. My goal is to bring my skills and education to the public sector -- to dedicate my professional life to making tangible gains toward emissions reductions, social justice, energy efficiency, and socio-economic sustainability.
I also work part-time as an Adjunct Professor of Environmental Studies at the Univ. of Victoria, where I teach courses on climate policy, environmental studies, and sustainable food systems. I have published widely on sustainability, the organic food industry, and environmental history. I have written widely accessible works for The Atlantic, The Conversation Canada, The History News Network, The Narwhal, The Times Colonist, and more.
I’m also a husband, a father of two girls, a community organizer, an obsessive food gardener (I keep hens and bees, and tend a large food garden), a musician (banjo, keyboards, guitar, mandolin, and bass), and an active parent at my kids’ school.

Official campaign launch 3pm Saturday, November 16 at the Fernwood Inn.

#9 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:52 PM

^psh looks like another far right bigoted fascist if you ask me. I'll wait and see who Ben Isitt selects, thanks
  • Rob Randall, rjag, grantpalin and 1 other like this

#10 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,318 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:42 PM

The first candidate has announced: https://www.facebook...remylcaradonna/. Bio:

Official campaign launch 3pm Saturday, November 16 at the Fernwood Inn.

i don't particularly mind his bio:  https://www.jeremycaradonna.com/about

he seems to be a thinking man.  but i do wish some of these types would also take some business and/or economics courses along the way too.  

74883029_627405534330982_842005965896155

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 November 2019 - 05:50 PM.

• rjag and A Girl is No one like this

#11 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:02 PM

^psh looks like another far right bigoted fascist if you ask me. I'll wait and see who Ben Isitt selects, thanks

Ha. I knew you were a closet Isitt supporter!

#12 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:04 PM

i don't particularly mind his bio: https://www.jeremycaradonna.com/about

he seems to be a thinking man. but i do wish some of these types would also take some business and/or economics courses along the way too.

74883029_627405534330982_842005965896155

First, we already have a Jeremy. Second, if he's serious about affordability, would he look at how rising property taxes affect renters, not just owners.
  • Nparker likes this

#13 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,318 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:10 PM

he has a real phd too.  not the phoney one the mayor has.  but he does not call himself dr.  maybe that's good.

#14 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:39 PM

he has a real phd too.  not the phoney one the mayor has.  but he does not call himself dr.  maybe that's good.

I was not aware that Helps had a Ph.D. to be called phony.

• rjag and Matt R. like this
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#15 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,318 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:50 PM

she has one with some extra letters after it denoting that she does not have one.  so i guess you are right.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 November 2019 - 07:50 PM.

• rjag likes this

#16 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:51 PM

She started and did not complete a PhD. She has used PhD (ABD) in her credentials before.

#17 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:13 PM

Yep, another Phd from UVIC. Just what we need.

I noticed on the City's budget survey that there is a proposal to raise the pay of City Councillors by 50% to more than $70K. I wonder if the reason why they are delaying the byelection is to give them time to put that on the ballet and then say that they didn't vote themselves a pay increase.

• Nparker likes this

#18 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,318 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:15 PM

they'd never get a 51% vote on that.

#19 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:17 PM

they'd never get a 51% vote on that.

Hardly anyone votes in byelections and if they get their UVIC buddies to show up en masse then it would pass.

Any bets that the survey "results" will show overwhelming support for the pay raise?!

Edited by spanky123, 10 November 2019 - 04:18 PM.

#20 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,318 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:25 PM

I noticed on the City's budget survey that there is a proposal to raise the pay of City Councillors by 50% to more than $70K. I wonder if the reason why they are delaying the byelection is to give them time to put that on the ballet and then say that they didn't vote themselves a pay increase.

the main questionnaire only has 17 questions and that's #11.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 November 2019 - 04:27 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users