Langfordopoly board game

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:26 AM

Yes, it's a real thing, and it's available now in stores.

I picked up a copy of the millennial edition and I must say it was pretty funny, although it played a little differently than the original game. If anyone picks up the Langford version let us know what it's like. You can find the game at Walmart and I'm sure other retailers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:02 AM

I picked up a copy of the millennial edition and I must say it was pretty funny, although it played a little differently than the original game. If anyone picks up the Langford version let us know what it's like. You can find the game at Walmart and I'm sure other retailers.

Did they replace the Go square with Commute Through View Royal?

• Mike K. likes this

#3 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:13 AM

Unless things have changed, Langford-opoly is exclusive to the West Shore Walmart, and Victoria-opoly is exclusive to Uptown. It's a Canadian board game publisher behind the whole thing, and they've got different versions for different cities across the country through a partnership with Walmart. Apparently they're up to 50 versions now.

Edited by Jackerbie, 12 November 2019 - 09:13 AM.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:15 AM

No kidding. I did see Victoriaopoly at downtown stores, so perhaps the agreement restricts them to only Walmart as far as big box stores go?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:25 AM

^ No idea what the terms of the partnership is, but as far as I can see every regional variant is advertised as "Only available at X Walmart." Note that this isn't an officially licensed Monopoly game, hence the rules are different and everything has a slightly different name ("Chance" is called "Big Fun")

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:27 AM

Interesting. Hence the 'opoly' as a separate word.

Know it all.

#7 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:53 AM

Fair, because Monopoly itself was ripped off from the woman that originally invented it as an anti-capitalist learning tool. 

There was a Victoria version that came out 20-odd years ago.

#8 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:49 PM

And the two most valuable properties in LangfordOpoly are actually in Colwood
  • Mike K. likes this

#9 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 02 April 2021 - 11:51 AM

There's some really late reporting on this from Glacier Media's lower mainland outlets today, but I did learn that the company behind all these Canadian variants is Outset Media of Victoria! Apparently there are a number of Island variants, including Comox Valley, Nanaimo, Port Alberni, and Campbell River.

#10 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 01:46 PM

Fair, because Monopoly itself was ripped off from the woman that originally invented it as an anti-capitalist learning tool. 

There was a Victoria version that came out 20-odd years ago.

The games room in my apartment building has a copy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users