General church news

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,862 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 04:09 AM

this is a pretty big deal.  they will likely get some good dollars for their arbutus property.

Saanich congregations amalgamate to form largest United Church on Vancouver Island

St. Aidan’s and Cadboro Bay United Churches vote to amalgamate

https://www.vicnews....ncouver-island/

[attachment=24842:screenshot-www.google.com-2019.12.04-07_12_05.png]

[attachment=24843:screenshot-www.google.com-2019.12.04-07_11_13.png]

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 December 2019 - 04:13 AM.

#2 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:57 PM

Everybody is born an atheist until some adult starts telling them lies. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:03 PM

Or is it the other way around?

#4 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:04 PM

Everybody is born an atheist until some adult starts telling them lies.

well if it were only so simple. I think even most atheists eventually wonder what this life is all about.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 December 2019 - 09:06 PM.

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:11 PM

Why wonder when government and Hollywood and big corporations have figured it out for you?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:13 PM

doesn’t Elon musk think we are game pieces or something?

#7 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:14 PM

The main point here is, you shouldn't wonder. Just keep on working, shopping, paying your taxes, and watching the news. That's what your life is about. And if anybody tells you otherwise they're just trying to control you.

#8 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:15 PM

video game characters:

https://www.vox.com/...lation-argument

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 December 2019 - 09:15 PM.

#9 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:24 PM

It's funny, long before anyone had ever heard of Elon Musk that's what I used to say. The system tries to convince you that all the other people you see are just video game characters.

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:26 PM

Why wonder when government and Hollywood and big corporations have figured it out for you?

I'm wary of all religions, but especially the really big ones that don't brand themselves as such.

Anyway, if we all endeavour to post deft rejoinders over the course of the weekend then I'm cautiously optimistic that we can have this whole "meaning of life" thing neatly sorted out by Monday morning.

#11 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:14 PM

Life is pain, highness. Anyone who tells you differently is selling something.

...the princess bride

(why do you think babies are born crying?)

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:50 PM

• Redd42 and Tom Braybrook like this

#13 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 07 December 2019 - 02:32 PM

The main point here is, you shouldn't wonder. Just keep on working, shopping, paying your taxes, and watching the news. That's what your life is about. And if anybody tells you otherwise they're just trying to control you.

That's what life is about?  I'd feel better slogging through this if I thought there was something better waiting for me, that I would have to behave to achieve of course.

• AllseeingEye and Victoria Watcher like this

#14 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 06:29 PM

St Aidan's was our old church where I went to Sunday school. Not really surprised at this amalgamation as many of the umbrella faiths under the general Protestant label are struggling with attendance. The Anglicans in particular have really imploded in recent years due to infighting among various factions of that church.

The Catholics from my observation are really the only mainstream Western faith that seems to be holding its own if not thriving - its well organized and their congregations are involved and dedicated to their faith generally. I married one and have always been impressed with their social and other activities which seems to keep the faithful engaged. Their Christmas services especially are modern. contemporary and not of the old school 'fire and brimstone' or 'Thou shalt not....!" from the pulpit variety.

As far as what lies beyond the great veil one of the aspects of Freemasonry that attracted me initially, aside from deep familial ties to the brotherhood, was the notion that charity, giving to community and improving one's self as a person and as a man, were the goals to which a mason should dedicate his life ultimately in deference to and under the ever watchful gaze of our "Grand Architect" (God). Therefore I would hope 'shopping' would be slightly further down the list, heh.

That all said far be it from me to not hit up Costco or others places if there is a good deal to be had...!

Edited by AllseeingEye, 07 December 2019 - 06:30 PM.

#15 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 06:58 PM

St Aidan's was our old church where I went to Sunday school. Not really surprised at this amalgamation as many of the umbrella faiths under the general Protestant label are struggling with attendance. The Anglicans in particular have really imploded in recent years due to infighting among various factions of that church.

The Catholics from my observation are really the only mainstream Western faith that seems to be holding its own if not thriving - its well organized and their congregations are involved and dedicated to their faith generally. I married one and have always been impressed with their social and other activities which seems to keep the faithful engaged. Their Christmas services especially are modern. contemporary and not of the old school 'fire and brimstone' or 'Thou shalt not....!" from the pulpit variety.

As far as what lies beyond the great veil one of the aspects of Freemasonry that attracted me initially, aside from deep familial ties to the brotherhood, was the notion that charity, giving to community and improving one's self as a person and as a man, were the goals to which a mason should dedicate his life ultimately in deference to and under the ever watchful gaze of our "Grand Architect" (God). Therefore I would hope 'shopping' would be slightly further down the list, heh.

That all said far be it from me to not hit up Costco or others places if there is a good deal to be had...!

The Scientologists seem to be doing ok as well. Not mainstream enough?  ;)

#16 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 07:04 PM

The Scientologists seem to be doing ok as well. Not mainstream enough?  ;)

Naw....a niche belief system that doesn't permit critical thinking, that exerts inordinate control over the lives of its members and promotes inordinate veneration of its leader/founders doesn't really qualify IMO. Besides....you know.....the "Cruise" thing. Phhhht.

• exc911ence likes this

#17 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:16 AM

Find it quite suspicious that technology has advanced in “our” lifetime to the point where a computer can be as smart or more smart than a human.

#18 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:17 AM

You wouldn’t think octopuses would be able to type this but yet.

Edited by todd, 09 December 2019 - 11:31 AM.

#19 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:42 AM

Freemasonry is not a religion, nor is it a substitute for religion. Insofar as a 'belief structure' it requires only of its members a belief in God/Supreme Being/Grand Architect as part of the obligation of every responsible member of the craft, but it advocates no sectarian faith or practice per se. Masonic ceremonies include prayers, both traditional and extempore, to re-affirm each individual's dependence on God and to seek divine guidance on the path to becoming a better man/husband/member of the community etc. While freemasonry is open to men of any faith, "religion" like politics may not be discussed at Masonic meetings.

• todd likes this

#20 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:08 PM

Had a dream the other night John Cleese knocked on my hotel room door ordered me out of the room as I got to the second floor I realize I was now in an old school aliens were invading with ray guns by the time I got to the bottom floor it opened up into the original Craigdarroch gift shop everything was fine. All this made perfect sense to me in the moment.

:banana:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users