Horticulture Centre Of The Pacific

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:47 AM

i put this here rather than culture because i guess gardening is sort of recreation.  anyway i thought it might have its own thread.  it's a pretty unique place.

Front-Page-Winter.jpg

The Gardens at Horticulture Centre of the Pacific (HCP), home to the Pacific Horticulture College, presents a year-round garden experience that all can enjoy.

Located just twelve kilometres north of Downtown Victoria, British Columbia, you will find a public garden lovingly cared for by volunteers, staff and students. From our hands-on Children’s Garden to the largest outdoor Bonsai Garden in Canada, and the only outdoor bonsai Garden in Western Canada, you will find something to inspire at every visit.

We started to grow in 1979 and are proud to be a “gardeners garden”, connecting people with plants.

Being non profit we are able to exist and be successful through the kindness of others, not just through financial donations but in hands-on volunteer work throughout our garden.

Come for an afternoon stroll. Meet knowledgeable staff and volunteers who are always happy to be of assistance. Step into tranquility and out of the urban rush of your day.

https://hcp.ca/hcp_welcome/

i'm not sure if they don't need a better name for marketing.  i guess their move to "the gardens at" has helped a bit.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 January 2020 - 08:51 AM.

#2 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:59 AM

this is the adjacent restaurant (9-3 daily):

Nestled within hiking trails, swimming lakes, and farm land adventures, you will find our special little place perching on the edge of a 10 acre botanical garden, The Gardens at HCP.  The scene will have you feeling like you are in a far off land.  There is no entrance fee to visit Charlotte & the Quail, and, if you are inspired to step into the stunning gardens, you receive a discounted rate by submitting your dining receipt {from the same day}.

We share a parking lot with our garden neighbours - our building is to the left when you turn in the gates.

https://www.charlott...ail.ca/location

simple menu:  https://www.charlotteandthequail.ca/

The name of our special little place was easy to come up with.  We wanted something that communicated the whimsy & light heartedness that surrounds us.  'Charlotte' is the name of our beloved garden kitty.  She adopted us as her family over 6 years ago.  You will often find her perched in front of the window, watching us all pass time.  She receives attention & love with glee. The '& the Quail' part of our name is inspired by the road you will find us on (Quayle Road) AND all of the comical little birds that bustle throughout the garden. They make us giggle every time we cross their path.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 January 2020 - 09:01 AM.

#3 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:16 PM

You'll not often see Charlotte in the summer months though - she tends to go on seasonal walkabouts.  This restaurant is a favourite cycling stop for my wife and I.

Never been into the actual gardens though.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:19 PM

What’s a seasonal walkabout?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:24 PM

You'll not often see Charlotte in the summer months though - she tends to go on seasonal walkabouts.  This restaurant is a favourite cycling stop for my wife and I.

Never been into the actual gardens though.

oh you should go in some time.  it's worthwhile.

[attachment=25374:screenshot-hcp.ca-2020.01.20-16_20_54.png]

• todd likes this

#6 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:29 PM

What’s a seasonal walkabout?

extended vacations maybe.  some cats are like that.  they have owners in several ports.

#7 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:40 PM

extended vacations maybe.  some cats are like that.  they have owners in several ports.

Pretty much.  She is gone for long periods, but spotted visiting different areas in a fairly large region apparently.

I have seen her before though.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:21 PM

So mysterious.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:48 PM

So mysterious.

some cats are blessed with a certain personality.  so they might have all kinds of friendly part-time "owners" around that feed them and even give them overnight shelter.  let me put it this way:

There's a voice, That keeps on calling charlotte
Down the road, That's where she'll always be
Every stop she makes, she makes a new friend
Can't stay for long, Just turn around
and she's gone again
Maybe tomorrow, she'll want to settle down
Until tomorrow, she'll just keep moving on
Down this road, That never seems to end
When you adventure, lies just around the bend
so if you want to join her for awhile
just grab your hat, come travel light
that's hobo style
Maybe tomorrow, she'll want to settle down
Until tomorrow, The whole world is her home
so if you want to join her for awhile
just grab your hat, come travel light
that's hobo style

(repeat chorus)

#10 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 04:09 PM

Horticulture Centre of the Pacific gardens reopen with safety restrictions

https://www.vicnews....y-restrictions/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 June 2020 - 04:10 PM.

• todd and mbjj like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users