[Saanich] 3405 Shelbourne | Condos, townhouses | 6 Storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:33 PM

Abstract Developments has submitted rezoning and development permit applications for a four lot consolidation involving 3385, 3399, 3401, and 3405 Shelbourne St. The project is currently branded "3405 Shelbourne." A six story building is proposed, containing 100 apartment units and 6 townhouses. In documents provided to the neighbourhood association, Abstract has indicated that the units will be condos.

Site plan: https://www.saanich....rne20191230.pdf

Elevations and sections: https://www.saanich....0191230elev.pdf

Landscape plan: https://www.saanich....0191230land.pdf

Capture.PNG

• Bernard and Brantastic like this

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:02 PM

This looks strikingly like the McRae proposal.

#3 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:23 AM

Is it just me or does Abstract all of a sudden have like 20 projects in DP/Rezoning stage. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#4 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 31 January 2020 - 09:52 AM

Maybe if they make a lot of proposals they may actually get a few underway?

#5 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:53 PM

Is it just me or does Abstract all of a sudden have like 20 projects in DP/Rezoning stage.

It's not just you, they probably have about 10 new DP/RZ applications in Saanich alone since November

#6 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,308 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 08:39 AM

The initial building is an eight-storey block, of pure Stalinist design, covering every square inch of site with no green space and less than two metres’ setback from two of the busiest streets in the Capital Regional District.

https://www.timescol...saanich-5693431

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 August 2022 - 08:39 AM.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:28 AM

A pure Stalinist design would have as many underground levels as above ground levels.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:38 AM

The initial building is an eight-storey block...

The rendering above shows 6 floors. Has the proposal changed?

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:38 AM

No.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,308 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:41 AM

I'm not sure what project this writer is talking about.  It refers to Shelbourne and to "two of the busiest streets" in the region.  I guess it's for something at Shelbourne and McKenzie.

Saanich council repeatedly told us that the densification development at Shelbourne and McKenzie would be appropriate for the neighbourhood, but look at what is now being inflicted on us.

If you can't have high density there, where can you have it?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 August 2022 - 10:43 AM.

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:45 AM

The rendering above shows 6 floors. Has the proposal changed?

No.

How does the author of the TC letter come to the conclusion there are 8 floors? Are they including underground parking in the floor count?  :confused:

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:46 AM

It’s not clear what they’re even talking about.

Know it all.

#13 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,308 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:47 AM

I guess it's either University Heights or the new one proposed for the McKenzie Professional Centre.

I tried to search for the right thread, but well, search on here is 1/10.  Thanks, truckers.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 August 2022 - 10:48 AM.

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:49 AM

...I tried to search for the right thread, but well, search on here is 1/10.  Thanks, truckers.

:thumbsup:

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 11:03 AM

All six storeys.

Know it all.

#16 BikeLaneLover

BikeLaneLover
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 04:39 PM

The initial building is an eight-storey block, of pure Stalinist design, covering every square inch of site with no green space and less than two metres’ setback from two of the busiest streets in the Capital Regional District.

The content of this letter is pretty funny, especially considering their later comments regarding what makes our city's streets so pleasant:

"We need to rethink the rules about building heights and architectural design, also impose a minimum of 10 metres’ green setback from road easements on all large buildings — which is why many of our older streets are so pleasant."

The older streets in the downtown core which the writer references have basically no set-backs or easements whatsoever; it's not tons of open spaces that makes these areas vibrant, rather it's the density of buildings and variety and interest in the architecture itself that makes these streets enjoyable. If the reader wants that in newly emerging urban spaces like the McKenzie-Shelbourne area, then a blanket upzoning should be given in the main core to ensure developers can build wall-to-wall buildings with 1-plus-5 density. And 10 metres' setbacks? That would literally be 2/3 of the lot. I agree with wider pedestrian sidewalks, boulevards, and protected bike lanes, but you do need space for the actual building itself.

#17 corvus

corvus
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 08:09 AM

I'm not sure what project this writer is talking about.  It refers to Shelbourne and to "two of the busiest streets" in the region.  I guess it's for something at Shelbourne and McKenzie.

If you can't have high density there, where can you have it?

Well of course ideally from this perspective, you wouldn't have it at all. 

Edited by corvus, 15 August 2022 - 08:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users