CANCELLED
Pacific Maritime Centre
Uses: office, civic
Address: 790 McCallum Road
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Storeys: 9
The Pacific Maritime Centre is a mixed-use development incorporating an office component, a performing arts sp... (view full profile)
Learn more about Pacific Maritime Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford] Pacific Maritime Centre | Maritime Museum of BC; office; commercial | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:43 AM

langford.jpg

A nearly $90 million arts and culture centre has been proposed for lands near Langford's Costco. The vision includes a new maritime museum (they'll need to secure $57 million for the space, though), offices, a conference centre and a performance theatre.

Langford held a special council meeting last night: https://www.langford...ting Notice.pdf

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:50 AM

A new (basic) theatre by itself in 2020 costs anywhere between $150 million and $200+ million anywhere in the world.

This entire project is only $90 million and includes an office tower and a large museum space?

Very strange math at play here. I think calling it a "vision" is probably appropriate, but expecting it to be constructed in the first place, and look even remotely like the water-colours is a pipe dream.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:51 AM

And that parking lot ...it's 2,000 stalls too small. If they want to put in underground parking for a performance theatre we're talking $25 million for 750 spaces, at best.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:56 AM

I don't know why the front is marred with a piddly parking lot. Put the cars in back and make the front a garden plaza where you can eat your Costco hot dog.

• Lorenzo likes this

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:57 AM

By the time you traversed the Costco parking lot over to the cultural centre your hot dog will be stone cold, though.

• Bernard likes this

Know it all.

#6 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:44 AM

Some more details in the Vancouver Sun, including a $30M price tag for the theatre: https://vancouversun...maritime-museum

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:48 AM

I have to say, though, that if anyone can pull this off, it's Langford.

But I don't know if the museum should be responsible for leasing the office tower. Seems like an odd setup (not that they would do it alone, of course, but should museums be ultimately responsible for the complexity of commercial leasing?).

The museum would be responsible for financing the $57-million exhibit space.

Museum executive director David Leverton said now that they have a potential home, they can approach the federal government and other potential grant providers to discuss funding.

The museum will be responsible for leasing out the office tower of the new complex, he said, which means the potential for steady income and the chance to establish a long-term, sustainable business model.

“It allows us to not be as reliant on funding from government,” he said.

Know it all.

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:12 AM

Is it also going to double as an airport terminal since it has a traffic control tower?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:14 AM

That's the Bear Mountain gondola base.

• Nparker, Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:17 AM

I really like the waterslide on the roof of the office building.

• lanforod likes this

#11 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:22 AM

I have to say, though, that if anyone can pull this off, it's Langford.

But I don't know if the museum should be responsible for leasing the office tower. Seems like an odd setup (not that they would do it alone, of course, but should museums be ultimately responsible for the complexity of commercial leasing?).

I think that was the model for the RBCM's stalled/cancelled redevelopment plan. The museum would lease out the office space and if they needed it for cultural purposes in the distant future it would be available.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:25 AM

Whatever happened to that idea? It came and went when they had a leadership change, but ultimately the (then) new museum director just gave up and moved on. Does that sound about right?

Know it all.

#13 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:25 AM

It reminds me of the car Homer designed
  • Rob Randall, Nparker, Matt R. and 1 other like this

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:28 AM

Not the cruise ship sewage treatment plant?

Know it all.

#15 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:38 AM

I think that was the model for the RBCM's stalled/cancelled redevelopment plan. The museum would lease out the office space and if they needed it for cultural purposes in the distant future it would be available.

Whatever happened to that idea? It came and went when they had a leadership change, but ultimately the (then) new museum director just gave up and moved on. Does that sound about right?

That idea was a bid for the space, wasn't it? So I guess the Province accepted a different bid proposal. Note that both the DVBA and City of Victoria backed a competing bid for an arts facility.

#16 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:39 AM

The RBCM plan was announced exactly 10 years ago. Back in 2008 they laid out their 15 year plan for revitalization that was supposed to take them into the next 100 years. Here it is 12 years later and nothing's happened. I don't know why it fizzled out. Hats off to Langford if they can pull this off.

#17 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:46 AM

The initial biggest hurdle for the RBCM was the zoning, as the entire block was single family R2 so even the buildings on it today were non-conforming. I can't remember if the rezoning was successful.

Capture.JPG

But Langford here is already ahead of the game. Does Langford even have zoning?

#18 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:54 AM

It reminds me of the car Homer designed

the-homer-inline2.jpg

:thumbsup:

• RFS and Victoria Watcher like this

#19 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:07 AM

Always with the theatres. We've talked about it many times, how the very word "theatre" seems to make any large development a bit more palatable. Victorians envisioned a theatre at the RBCM, a theatre on church hill, a theatre on the downtown waterfront (more than once)... The original concept for Hillside Mall involved a theatre. Every city everywhere that has theatres is struggling to utilize them. Every city everywhere that doesn't have theatres wants to find some excuse to build one.

Slight correction: the theatres at Hillside were planned for Phase Three:

Daily Colonist
December 11, 1969

Phase Two of Hillside Shopping Centre Races to Completion

A twin-theatre and professional office building complex will be added later, during Phase Three.

Edited by aastra, 25 February 2020 - 10:11 AM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#20 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:11 AM

^Monorail!

• Bernard likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users